Michael Palin in North Korea.

What do you think of what he's seen so far ?

Disappointing, but only to be expected, with his two so called “guides” plotting his every move and six spies watching him like hawks.

It’s only when you have the freedom to get off the beaten track and go your own way, that you sample the true culture and traditions, .......or what’s left of them anyway.

Disappointing, but only to be expected, with his two so called “guides” plotting his every move and six spies watching him like hawks.

It’s only when you have the freedom to get off the beaten track and go your own way, that you sample the true culture and traditions, .......or what’s left of them anyway.

The culture of North Korea is arguably more authentic than the South because it has not been penetrated by globalization and Americanism unlike in the South. Don't let politics distract you from the fact North Korea is very much an insight into pre-modern Korean culture and life.

The whole "guides" and "you're being watched" element also doesn't stop you from getting to know the culture or the people either. Because of the political situation yes the locals are apprehensive, but if you establish ways to built up their trust and show appreciation of their culture they warm up to you in remarkable ways. Even knowing a few Korean phrases is a big plus. Once this is set out the way, I've found North Koreans to be very interested and curious of foreigners. They also know more about the world than we think.

This April I was on the overnight train back to Beijing and encountered a delegation of North Korean men who were visiting China for an unspecified "educational trip". Because I could use Korean, they very quickly opened up to me. I spent at least 3 hours sitting with them, they bought me drinks and snacks, which was incredibly humbling given how little they have, even if they were more elite groups.

It was an amazing experience and I am pretty sure very few people have had the opportunity to engage with North Koreans like that. It's a moment of my life that will have a big impact on me. The point is though? These people aren't robots or soulless monsters who hate us. They live in a regime which gives them very little in terms of life choices and options, but they're real human beings. and they can be reached as such. They can be relaxed, they can have a laugh. North Korea isn't just one man, a bomb or a war.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noticed it on 5+1 earlier.
Don't watch much TV but liked his old stuff so i will look out fer it on catch-up.

The culture of North Korea is arguably more authentic than the South because it has not been penetrated by globalization and Americanism unlike in the South. Don't let politics distract you from the fact North Korea is very much an insight into pre-modern Korean culture and life.

The whole "guides" and "you're being watched" element also doesn't stop you from getting to know the culture or the people either. Because of the political situation yes the locals are apprehensive, but if you establish ways to built up their trust and show appreciation of their culture they warm up to you in remarkable ways. Even knowing a few Korean phrases is a big plus. Once this is set out the way, I've found North Koreans to be very interested and curious of foreigners. They also know more about the world than we think.

This April I was on the overnight train back to Beijing and encountered a delegation of North Korean men who were visiting China for an unspecified "educational trip". Because I could use Korean, they very quickly opened up to me. I spent at least 3 hours sitting with them, they bought me drinks and snacks, which was incredibly humbling given how little they have, even if they were more elite groups.

It was an amazing experience and I am pretty sure very few people have had the opportunity to engage with North Koreans like that. It's a moment of my life that will have a big impact on me. The point is though? These people aren't robots or soulless monsters who hate us. They live in a regime which gives them very little in terms of life choices and options, but they're real human beings. and they can be reached as such. They can be relaxed, they can have a laugh. North Korea isn't just one man, a bomb or a war.

That’s very good. I imagine you had a greater insight into what N.Koreans are all about than Palin.

I think this has the chance to be a real eye opener for people, who perhaps don't know that much about Korea, and only see what they know from the news.

What exactly were you expecting?

I agree it was a bit scripted, but I found it intriguing to see a culture different to ours.

This.

If you want a more thorough guide, Indigo Traveller's series of videos about his trip is very good.

It's obvious that last May the Chinese scared the shit out of Kim and told him to sort out his act. Kim must have had to settle on Palin to do the PR job for him as he couldn't get David Attenborough.

That will annoy the Chinese though as Palin met and recorded a sympathetic interview with the Dali Lama a few years back so he won't be very popular in Beijing . The Chinese who have very long memories with regard to these things will now think that Kim is taking the piss.:lol:

Good watch but then again I love Palin's style.

As a child he spent his days dreaming of being the adventurer of the Boy's Own magazines and in his own way he got to live out his childhood dreams - not many of us can say that.

It's remarkable to see the reinvention of Kim Jong-un from being a brutal dictator to a happy clappy guy with a bad haircut who is great at parties. You'd almost think we were being fed a load of shit by our own rulers.

He'll only be allowed where the state want him to go. People need to remember that Kim is a brutal dictator with the blood of thousands upon thousands on his hands. The Kims have played the yankee dogs for decades, that will continue, he has most likely softened his approach recently, for fear of an internal coup. Remaining in power is key to fat boi.

Back