Michael Holding retires from commentating

Got me ferty took with him at Newlands last year. One of the highlights of me cricketing life.

The Desert Island Discs is a great listen. Lauren Laverne presents it well too.

Never forgiven him for blanking me at the Oval in 2009.

i listened to his desert island discs the other day and he actually names that as his greatest sporting regret.

he picked 'we'll meet again' as his final tune to always remind him of you and the one he'd save if he could only have one
Shame, but was probably coming as it's said he basically hates modern cricket.

just another reason he's class

Last edited:
I remember his first gig with England's memorable tour of the West Indies in 1990. Rob Bailey had just been given out, after the home side surrounded the umpire, walking to his leg position, until he raised his finger. There was a good six inches of clear air between bat and ball, as it hit Bailey's flapping shirt on its way to the wicketkeeper.

Boycoutt was predictably blazing mad about it but Holding tried to smooth it over with a view given of needing to take decisions with good grace, regardless of whether it was right or wrong.

Immediately, Boycs hit back with "What about you kicking down the stumps in New Zealand in 1980? Answer me that." :lol:

I knew at that moment Holding was going to be an asset to any cricket commentary if he was prepared to incur the wrath of Boycoutt to make his point.

Last edited:

Back