Metroland

They are creating a section of office space and business related space that can be let out by the hour, day, week etc. trying to generate more footfall during the day. Aimed at businesses who now don’t have an office but need somewhere on occasions for meetings, conferences etc.
It was a bit short sighted getting rid of Metroland when you see the amount of empty shop units there now.

Surreal, theme park in a shopping centre, the rides were of course very limited as it was er - indoor- kids enjoyed it when they were little and I was spared it's deterioration in the later years. Whole Metro Centre seemed sad when I was last there, entire 'streets' gone and hidden by expanding shops across them. Cinema/food section seems to be the only life left in it now.
Which streets are closed?

As a kid in the 80s and a teen in the 90s it was an excellent place to go.

When it first opened, alongside the Metrocentre, it was a little unreal, like a slice of Americana in the middle of a post industrial landscape.

This also reminds me of the Gateshead garden festival which was around the time of the Metrocentres peak.

I don't know the names, it's some of the cross connections - NEXT IIRC has 'spread' across one of the openings - it's very obvious when you see it, the layout map is quite distinct from 30 years ago.
I hadn't noticed. I know the old village thing is pretty much empty and I think next is near there.

I hadn't noticed. I know the old village thing is pretty much empty and I think next is near there.

staff said some stores were moved and the end brought in and some of the the old cross-cuts blocked over - better to shrink than have too many empty bits. It was the first time I'd been in about 10 years.

staff said some stores were moved and the end brought in and some of the the old cross-cuts blocked over - better to shrink than have too many empty bits. It was the first time I'd been in about 10 years.

Once they got rid of the Mediterranean village and the other village area it just became a generic large shopping mall. I guess that's what they thought people wanted.

The new food area does ok though.

Once they got rid of the Mediterranean village and the other village area it just became a generic large shopping mall. I guess that's what they thought people wanted.

The new food area does ok though.

I loved the quirky bits, it was real character. I was in Bawtree months ago and they've taken away modern shops and put in something that looks like the Metro med village/antique village style - these things come in cycles I suppose, but it looked smart and inviting IMO.

Surreal, theme park in a shopping centre, the rides were of course very limited as it was er - indoor- kids enjoyed it when they were little and I was spared it's deterioration in the later years. Whole Metro Centre seemed sad when I was last there, entire 'streets' gone and hidden by expanding shops across them. Cinema/food section seems to be the only life left in it now.
We were 15 years behind USA and Canada in this type of Mall lots have closed over there.
I give Metrocentre 15 years b4 it closes.

Was dated and needed a refurb, but it's totally bland now. Used have trees, plants, water fountains, little villages and areas with their own character, numerous pubs, barrows selling nicknacks, and the largest indoor themepark in Europe, with bowling and qazer lazer downstairs.

Used to go on the rollercoaster and hoy packets of salt and pepper at people below, fuck knows why they probably couldn’t even feel owt hit them
We used to chuck balls from the ball pool in Montezuma's at the rollercoaster when it came around

Used to think that rollercoaster was the scariest thing in the world when I was a bairn. Should reopen it.

Intu and the like killed the individuality of the centre. The price changed for those little barrels let alone shops was eye watering.

The new oweners are trying with the business hub / gym and solar panels echo thing and fetching the green areas back. They are also offering existing tenants bigger units by knocking old ones through so it does not look as vacant.

People slate it. But it fetches people into the north east so anything that does that is a good thing.

Back