Metro pub crawl

i wasnt yi helmet....the person who set it up has been rumbled
#dangermong
I think the tour was mention as part of another tread on here (back in March 2017 incidentally), so registered in preparation to defend myself but everyone was actually pretty nice so I didn't bother commenting on anything. Then it all kicked off again and my authenticity was being questioned so I spoke up. Hope that eases your worried mind Poirot!

Last edited:
Meet our lass (no) in the Lonsdale when she finishes work and I stay through hers. Seems if you're not a regular or one of the student rugby types you get eyeballed
Ask them what the fuck are they looken at .

When you said the beer didn't taste right and that it was a bit flat her only response was 'you can always go somewhere else'.

Place was decent from around 2001-2008 and maybe I got too old for the place but it feels like another soulless chain pub these days.
They could get away with that kind of shite customer relations back in the 60's but thankfully not now . Anybody on here remember the wanker who had the Hearts of Oak in Peterlee ? FFS 30,ooo people and 3 pubs what a cheeky bastard he was .

Last edited:
Looking at doing this (yet again), but not as a pub crawl but just to visit them all over time.

Made a list which is pretty much the same as that apart from the odd changes, I’ve included social clubs as well as just as standard pubs so whichever is closest. They’ve also used a hotel for Ilford Road so I’ve changed that for an actual pub which is slightly further but at least it’s a proper one.

So far done 21 out of the 60.

Off work tomorrow so planning on doing 3 or 4 more, no idea where yet and probably won’t be stops right next to each other. Think I’ll pick one to head to quite far away and then work my way back getting off where I fancy when the time comes to it at the time.

Will report back. #WednesdayClub :cool:

Last edited:
Done 4 specific “metro” pubs yesterday.

Done most of the close ones already so got on the metro in the direction on the airport and even then I wasn’t particularly sure where I was going to end up, thought Gateshead was probably the main one I hadn’t done and as I wanted a quick bite to eat and the closest being a spoons that was a good starting point.

Gateshead = The Tilley Stone. It’s a spoons, you know it’s not going to be good but they always serve a purpose, especially if out solo and fancy something to eat as you never really look out of place sat with a pint and some food on your own in them. The beer and food was good enough but the place was just your average spoons. And for it being on Gateshead high street at 1pm on a Wednesday afternoon I was expecting a massive lack of teeth on show from the fellow punters but it actually wasn’t too bad. Mainly OAPs having lunch and groups of middle aged bald blokes downing pint and pint, massive windows which are great for people watching.

Left there and jumped back on the metro in the direction of airport and decided to do the ‘Ilford Road’ pub, now this one is a bit complicated. The closest pub to Ilford Road is The Lonsdale which is located directly outside West Jesmond metro station so that pub belongs to that and wanting to do a pub for each stop I looked for the 2nd closest which was The County and that was about a 10 minute walk away. Helen’s blog done a hotel bar for this stop but I’d rather do a proper pub. It was actually my favourite pub of the day, it’s a greene king pub but I find them to be quite decent for ales.

After that I decided to do the closest pub to Regent Centre which was The Gosforth Hotel, rather than walk back to the metro for a few stops I decided to walk it from the The County as it’s only a 5/10 minute walk from there. Now outside this is an excellent looking pub, looks brilliant however once inside I wasn’t fussed, tvs all over and game machines. It’s not a bad pub but I just expected better looking at it from the outside.

Leaving there I walked to Regent Centre metro heading back in the direction of Sunderland and chose to get off at West Jesmond to do The Lonsdale, now this is another pub that looks better from the outside, it actually reminded me of a gastro type pub that you’d find in the east end of London now. But again once inside I wasn’t a big fan of the place. It’s a lot bigger than I expected and also had an upstairs as well, just found it to have no atmosphere which is sort of expected on a Wednesday afternoon but was still a fair few in so I can imagine even on a weekend it’ll lack a decent atmosphere.

Out of the pubs visited there’s only the county I would return to. Focusing on the green line from South Hylton to airport currently so will post my list of it shortly.

Done 4 specific “metro” pubs yesterday.

Done most of the close ones already so got on the metro in the direction on the airport and even then I wasn’t particularly sure where I was going to end up, thought Gateshead was probably the main one I hadn’t done and as I wanted a quick bite to eat and the closest being a spoons that was a good starting point.

Gateshead = The Tilley Stone. It’s a spoons, you know it’s not going to be good but they always serve a purpose, especially if out solo and fancy something to eat as you never really look out of place sat with a pint and some food on your own in them. The beer and food was good enough but the place was just your average spoons. And for it being on Gateshead high street at 1pm on a Wednesday afternoon I was expecting a massive lack of teeth on show from the fellow punters but it actually wasn’t too bad. Mainly OAPs having lunch and groups of middle aged bald blokes downing pint and pint, massive windows which are great for people watching.

Left there and jumped back on the metro in the direction of airport and decided to do the ‘Ilford Road’ pub, now this one is a bit complicated. The closest pub to Ilford Road is The Lonsdale which is located directly outside West Jesmond metro station so that pub belongs to that and wanting to do a pub for each stop I looked for the 2nd closest which was The County and that was about a 10 minute walk away. Helen’s blog done a hotel bar for this stop but I’d rather do a proper pub. It was actually my favourite pub of the day, it’s a greene king pub but I find them to be quite decent for ales.

After that I decided to do the closest pub to Regent Centre which was The Gosforth Hotel, rather than walk back to the metro for a few stops I decided to walk it from the The County as it’s only a 5/10 minute walk from there. Now outside this is an excellent looking pub, looks brilliant however once inside I wasn’t fussed, tvs all over and game machines. It’s not a bad pub but I just expected better looking at it from the outside.

Leaving there I walked to Regent Centre metro heading back in the direction of Sunderland and chose to get off at West Jesmond to do The Lonsdale, now this is another pub that looks better from the outside, it actually reminded me of a gastro type pub that you’d find in the east end of London now. But again once inside I wasn’t a big fan of the place. It’s a lot bigger than I expected and also had an upstairs as well, just found it to have no atmosphere which is sort of expected on a Wednesday afternoon but was still a fair few in so I can imagine even on a weekend it’ll lack a decent atmosphere.

Out of the pubs visited there’s only the county I would return to. Focusing on the green line from South Hylton to airport currently so will post my list of it shortly.

The Lonsdale was always considered a bit of a student pub when I worked in Longbenton years ago. It was crap then although I only went in a couple of times.

Back