Met Police stop and search methods?

Bizzarely I always wanted to be a copper till school leaving age. No way could I do it now.

Many moons ago someone rightly said on here that kids are scared to tell a bloke in a pub to feck off but not to tell a copper, says it all.

My dads old enough to remember getting a clip off easington bobby for spitting or swearing n the mothers lapped it up.

Duff - your an argumentative know it all bellend at times but you n other coppers have my respect (bar mag coppers on a matchday).

This for me but I’m from a different generation. Do as you’re told, no problem. Act the arse, get whacked.

I think the issue these days is that some people have no fear or respect for authority. They think they rule the roost and can do what they want.

People need to stop filming everything on their phones.
Areet. How’s Adolf/Uncle Joe/Pol doing?
People should be filming more. If authority has done nothing wrong it’s got nothing to worry about.

Well we never saw the build up, he’s had a runner, he’s not really getting any support from those around him (stood filming), there’s more hatred towards the police than anyone else.

I’d imagine pretty much any situation you go into as a copper is intimidating.
They don’t help themselves at times.

Last edited:
Bizzarely I always wanted to be a copper till school leaving age. No way could I do it now.

Many moons ago someone rightly said on here that kids are scared to tell a bloke in a pub to feck off but not to tell a copper, says it all.

My dads old enough to remember getting a clip off easington bobby for spitting or swearing n the mothers lapped it up.

Duff - your an argumentative know it all bellend at times but you n other coppers have my respect (bar mag coppers on a matchday).

I can’t help that I know it all, appreciate it though. Next time you walk past a copper (I know there aren’t many about) tell them you appreciate what they do, small thing but it does mean a lot when you hear it

surely there must have been some compliance in the first place to get the cuffs on? If there wasn't compliance then I'd expect that one officer would have to floor the suspect before getting them on? Canny difficult to get the cuffs on a suspect that's still standing and not complying?

I've restrained folk of similar age/height/build and never once resorted to the use of a big metal weapon.

I am sure in your experience of being a teachers helper that you know all about handcuffing techniques, use of force legislation and other things.

I am pretty sure all of the people you have restrained haven’t had the intention of causing you harm or committing criminal offences which you are duty bound to stop.

Last edited:
I can’t help that I know it all, appreciate it though. Next time you walk past a copper (I know there aren’t many about) tell them you appreciate what they do, small thing but it does mean a lot when you hear it

I am sure in your experience of being a teachers helper that you know all about handcuffing techniques, use of force legislation and other things.

I am pretty sure all of the people you have restrained haven’t had the intention of causing you harm or committing criminal offences which you are duty bound to stop.

Tbf the met coppers were brilliant at wembley and are on my work trips down. Very helpful under a shitload of pressure in a manic environment.

Mind one linched us on wembley way asking wtf we were doing. We’d hidden some cans for after the game. He was fecking pissing himself.:lol:

Tbf the met coppers were brilliant at wembley and are on my work trips down. Very helpful under a shitload of pressure in a manic environment.

Mind one linched us on wembley way asking wtf we were doing. We’d hidden some cans for after the game. He was fecking pissing himself.:lol:

Always find the Met have a good approach to events I've been to mind. Although I would've pissed meself had I seen somebody getting dragged up Wembley way screaming "Me cans man! Me f***ing cans!" :D

The vast majority always are. Even over the last couple of weeks with minimum 12 hour shifts and cancelled rest days over a bank holiday weekend coppers were still chatting to people, being polite and posing with tourists for photographs.

Tell them that next time you see one, we are in a line of work where the only publicity we get is when something goes wrong. It really does make a difference when a stranger comes up to you and says thank you. I was once sitting on a carrier outside of London Bridge station waiting for some millwall fans to get bored and go home when a bloke knocked on the window brandishing a couple of boxes of doughnuts. He explained he has a couple of mates who are coppers and so knows how often our days off are cancelled or we are made to work late so wanted to show his gratitude. We spend so much of our time dealing with the bad in society that it is refreshing to speak to the good people, a lot of time police see or speak to decent people is when they have been a victim of crime.

Last edited:
The vast majority always are. Even over the last couple of weeks with minimum 12 hour shifts and cancelled rest days over a bank holiday weekend coppers were still chatting to people, being polite and posing with tourists for photographs.

Tell them that next time you see one, we are in a line of work where the only publicity we get is when something goes wrong. It really does make a difference when a stranger comes up to you and says thank you. I was once sitting on a carrier outside of London Bridge station waiting for some millwall fans to get bored and go home when a bloke knocked on the window brandishing a couple of boxes of doughnuts. He explained he has a couple of mates who are coppers and so knows how often our days off are cancelled or we are made to work late so wanted to show his gratitude. We spend so much of our time dealing with the bad in society that it is refreshing to speak to the good people, a lot of time police see or speak to decent people is when they have been a victim of crime.

Favourite part of my day when someone just says something nice, a small thanks or even just a random wave. Small things like being offered a can of pop after being stood on scene pres for 8 hours

There's also the issue of putting somebody in a uniform turning them in to a power crazy bellend that needs to be balanced. People SHOULD be encouraged to film interactions with the police, the same way they film almost everything these days.
There needs to be an open book type of policy.
None of this snippets and only showing what suits the agenda.
I seen a video where a woman gave a younger woman (late teens) a good hiding. The video looked like the older woman was just beating her.
Someone else posted the full video on the comment and the younger woman was trying to rob her.
The amount of people that jumped on the bandwagon at the start claiming the older woman was a bully etc...

It’s only gonna get worse

Last edited:
There's also the issue of putting somebody in a uniform turning them in to a power crazy bellend that needs to be balanced. People SHOULD be encouraged to film interactions with the police, the same way they film almost everything these days.
Lets hope the burglars have their phones ready to record the Police searching them through the night when you are sleeping soundly in your bed.

Lets hope the burglars have their phones ready to record the Police searching them through the night when you are sleeping soundly in your bed.

If you need to use an appeal to the extreme to make a point, then it's probably a stretch, but I'll reply.

People should record the police if they wish - as they do not always act lawfully. The same way the police will immediately switch on their body cam. Recording police incidents ensures the law is followed properly and that their body cam footage doesn't somehow get 'misplaced'. That's not an anti-police view whatsoever, infact allow me to use one of the classic catchphrases the police use when illegally trying to extract information from people 'if you have nothing to hide then why does it bother you'.

Anyway officer in video placed on reduced duties while investigated.

And
If you need to use an appeal to the extreme to make a point, then it's probably a stretch, but I'll reply.

People should record the police if they wish - as they do not always act lawfully. The same way the police will immediately switch on their body cam. Recording police incidents ensures the law is followed properly and that their body cam footage doesn't somehow get 'misplaced'. That's not an anti-police view whatsoever, infact allow me to use one of the classic catchphrases the police use when illegally trying to extract information from people 'if you have nothing to hide then why does it bother you'.

He was named by an MP.

Given a cop was stabbed on doorstep in Essex due to identity being found online, the MP should be flogged for something stupid and potentially dangerous

I have no issue with the public recording what police do, the issue is when people get in the way of police doing there job because they want the best angle, when an edited version gets put into the public domain, when the recorder assumes what they are seeing is wrong, to name a few. You only have to read any of the bollocks spouted on here by the SMB armchair barristers to know that the general public don’t know a lot of legislation and why would they given the depth and breadth of the subject.

Another issue is if for example this case went to court and there turns out to be a longer unedited version of the video which comes to light which shows the baton strikes to be completely lawful and is shown in evidence, any member of a jury could easily have already made their minds up based upon the edited version they saw on facebook. Video any interactions with the police by all means but if you genuinely think there is wrongdoing then make a complaint privately rather than being a social media like whore.

Being placed on restricted duties is not and never has been a presumption of guilt in any complaint, it will have been done I imagine because of the now high profile nature of the video.

I have no issue with the public recording what police do, the issue is when people get in the way of police doing there job because they want the best angle, when an edited version gets put into the public domain, when the recorder assumes what they are seeing is wrong, to name a few. You only have to read any of the bollocks spouted on here by the SMB armchair barristers to know that the general public don’t know a lot of legislation and why would they given the depth and breadth of the subject.

Another issue is if for example this case went to court and there turns out to be a longer unedited version of the video which comes to light which shows the baton strikes to be completely lawful and is shown in evidence, any member of a jury could easily have already made their minds up based upon the edited version they saw on facebook. Video any interactions with the police by all means but if you genuinely think there is wrongdoing then make a complaint privately rather than being a social media like whore.

Being placed on restricted duties is not and never has been a presumption of guilt in any complaint, it will have been done I imagine because of the now high profile nature of the video.
And the IOPC showing their hand prior to referral on twitter too

I totally agree.

I'm not somebody who's ever felt the need to stick a camera in an officers face, less so be an awkward twat for the sake of it. But in certain circumstances I feel like I would film it but politely let them know and not be an arsehole and I'd never post it anywhere unless there was any wrongdoing.

I totally agree.

I'm not somebody who's ever felt the need to stick a camera in an officers face, less so be an awkward twat for the sake of it. But in certain circumstances I feel like I would film it but politely let them know and not be an arsehole and I'd never post it anywhere unless there was any wrongdoing.

Even if you thought there were wrongdoings there are correct channels to go down, that is if you actually want to challenge the wrong doings rather than just get your 15 mins of social media fame.

And the IOPC showing their hand prior to referral on twitter too

What have they done?

Even if you thought there were wrongdoings there are correct channels to go down, that is if you actually want to challenge the wrong doings rather than just get your 15 mins of social media fame.

Oh I definitely would, personally. There's a trend of people filming and trying to bait police which I think is sad as fuck, but if I'd filmed some wrongdoing I'd complain and possibly release it after that process in order to show people how to properly handle the situation. That's my view but there'll always be sad bastards who just want to shove a camera in somebody's face to provoke them

Oh I definitely would, personally. There's a trend of people filming and trying to bait police which I think is sad as fuck, but if I'd filmed some wrongdoing I'd complain and possibly release it after that process in order to show people how to properly handle the situation. That's my view but there'll always be sad bastards who just want to shove a camera in somebody's face to provoke them

That will be one of the reasons the copper is restricted, if any of the less than desirables recognised him they would try and goad him into reacting and probably create a genuine situation where he felt he had to use force which obviously wouldn’t look good once it hits facebook

Back