Met Police stop and search methods?

See above, it's really not hard to work out mate.

The Police have powers to use reasonable force to make an arrest, that's the f***ing guideline.
You are right it isnt hard to work out yet you havent managed it yet

Which guideline is it? i.e. the name of legislation. Maybe post a link to it

Does it specify that a strike cannot be used once a person is handcuffed (which is what you originally stated)

Does it mean members of the public cant use reasonable force if only the police have powers?

Not read the thread but I'll bet there will be two opinions.. 1 from the people over 35 who grew up with discipline saying "well done police" and those under 35 who grew up not knowing real discipline, screaming police brutality.

I'm in the former group.. do as you are told.. dont get a smack. Simple.

I'm in the middle :D

Glad we've cleared up the whole 'guideline' issue up, took a while but we got there.
You were asked for any legislation, policy or guidance that states someone in cuffs can’t be struck with a baton.

It doesn't exist.

There's nothing to clear up - you're just typing for the sake of it, having avoided the question posed to you.

It looked ott even unnecessary from what the video showed. The lad was shouting and pulling away but I'm not sure why the cop wanted him on the ground. Is it dtandard for the police to put everybody they arrest on the ground.
We don't have full context just from watching that clip though, so there could have been more to it. For me though the police shouldn't be hitting people with sticks unless there is no other choice and the situation really needs it.

Last edited:
You were asked for any legislation, policy or guidance that states someone in cuffs can’t be struck with a baton.

It doesn't exist.

There's nothing to clear up - you're just typing for the sake of it, having avoided the question posed to you.

I haven't avoided anything, I'm trying to give you the answer but for some reason you can't understand the answer.

The Police can use reasonable force to arrest someone, if a complaint is made (likely here) and the officer is found guilty of using unreasonable force he'll likely face action as it goes against guidelines.

See above, it's really not hard to work out mate.

The Police have powers to use reasonable force to make an arrest, that's the f***ing guideline.

Ok pal, have a good day.

It’s not a guideline it is legislation At the risk of sounding all Ted Hastings it is covered by section 117 of PACE, section 3 of the criminal law act and also common law. None of those say a person in handcuffs cannot have force used on them be that by baton, taser, CS or any open hand technique.

My question, which you still have not answered, was can you show me anything which says that someone in handcuffs cannot be given a baton strike? I bet you can’t.

It’s not a guideline it is legislation At the risk of sounding all Ted Hastings it is covered by section 117 of PACE, section 3 of the criminal law act and also common law. None of those say a person in handcuffs cannot have force used on them be that by baton, taser, CS or any open hand technique.

My question, which you still have not answered, was can you show me anything which says that someone in handcuffs cannot be given a baton strike? I bet you can’t.

It falls under reasonable force, if it went to court that's exactly what they'd be discussing, you already know this.

Pedant and an arrogant fuckwit, you must be hours of fun.

Lad looked was acting up pulling away imo. If he was being compliant he wouldn't have been hit with the baton that was being blatantly brandished.

@duff_man is it common for the hands to be cuffed in front like that?

Mother of God!

Ok if they're stacked (I think that's what you cal it - arms pointing in different directions horizontally ???)

It's not ideal how these are on, but at least they're on.

They look pretty much straight on. It's just something I never did, still gives the person you are jailing the opportunity to fight a lot more than stacked to the back.

Each to their own I suppose, just a lot hard to control efficiently cuffed to the front in my experience.

Back