Mercedes S Class

Big Jeff

Winger
Anyone got one or previously owned one?

Any known or really expensive issues encountered? Particularly on the bigger engines.

Thanks.

They always look like great 2nd hand buys, don't they! Even with 100,000 on the clock (or more) you know they've been looked after.

Problem is, when something breaks, it can cost more than the car to fix.

What was it like?

Amazing spec as you can imagine but .... I have a Ford Focus at home so for me with the size , the seat on the wrong side , no idea where various control were , etc etc I hated every minute . Started to rain and was dark and I couldnt find the wiper switch so parked up till it stoppedafter 1 hour - found the wipers on the end of the indicator stalk the next day . The sat nav struggled with my accent so ended up plugging the phone into the USB :) . Was never sp happy to hand a set of keys over in my life :)

Edit , just occurred to me that shouldnt the wipers have come on automatically ? Maybe I turned something off as I was pressing every 2 or 3 times

Last edited:
Amazing spec as you can imagine but .... I have a Ford Focus at home so for me with the size , the seat on the wrong side , no idea where various control were , etc etc I hated every minute . Started to rain and was dark and I couldnt find the wiper switch so parked up till it stoppedafter 1 hour - found the wipers on the end of the indicator stalk the next day . The sat nav struggled with my accent so ended up plugging the phone into the USB :) . Was never sp happy to hand a set of keys over in my life :)

Edit , just occurred to me that shouldnt the wipers have come on automatically ? Maybe I turned something off as I was pressing every 2 or 3 times
Funnily enough, that's pretty much what I assumed could happen

This.

You only get 2 good days in a big old merc.

The day you buy it, and the day you sell it.
Thats put me right off as I imagine that happening to me
What year you looking at? I’ve got a 1995, E320 pillarless coupe, W124 shape with the 3.2L straight six engine.
I wanted a big engine (V8) and flexible about the rest - usual high spec, low miles, 1 owner (lady - nun probably) and cheap.

Yamar1 has put me right off now

Last edited:
Thats put me right off as I imagine that happening to me

I wanted a big engine (V8) and flexible about the rest - usual high spec, low miles, 1 owner (lady - nun probably) and cheap.

Yamar1 has put me right off now
🤣 Money pits mate. It Wouldn't bother me as much as do my own repairs on cars and bikes but if you dont tinker with cars it will cost you big time.

Had to go out to the Freiburg office 2 years ago and booked a automatic Golf sized car with sat nav with Sixt - cost about 80€ for 2 days . when I got they they gave me ....

Some twat went into me on the A1/ A690 roundabout this time last year and damaged my back wheel and arch. The insurance company gave me a brand new one of those as a courtesy car. Have to say, I wasn’t impressed. The tech in the cabin Was top notch mind, but it t it was slow And cumbersome.

Niche shit aside probably the ultimate car for day to day. You can get a cracker for 20k, you just need to be ready for the odd big bill. Most engines and gearboxes are common with more mainstream mercs and should be solid. You can get a proper presidential car for the price of something like an Evoque or Audi Q5.

Niche shit aside probably the ultimate car for day to day. You can get a cracker for 20k, you just need to be ready for the odd big bill. Most engines and gearboxes are common with more mainstream mercs and should be solid. You can get a proper presidential car for the price of something like an Evoque or Audi Q5.
That’s what I was thinking! But the huge bill would stick in the throat if something big went bang.

Back