Mental that we’ve gone from being the biggest fish in league one to the . . .

Big crowds don’t win games. We have proven that for several years.
They don’t but one of the very few positives of our spell in League 1 is the fantastic home form we’ve had.

Take that into the championship and it’ll go a long way in making our season a successful one.

Biggest fish in the Championship.

Maybe not in terms of playing staff but in terms of literally everything else.

Home support will be thousands more than anyone else.

Away support will be the highest in the league comfortably.

Away clubs will come to the SoL and be desperate to win given the numbers.

The battle to get back to the Premier League won’t get any easier.

This isn’t any sort of entitlement post, just facts 😂😂

BRING IT ON. HAWAY THE LADS
Be sensible. Facts?

We are going to spend a out 5 million tops, hardly the biggest fish in the championship

That would have been well above the average spend last season. Only Fulham and Bournemouth spent more than £10m. The era of inflated transfers and wages in the Championship is over, apart from the clubs with parachute payments. Most are trying to take an axe to their wage bills.

Last edited:
They don’t but one of the very few positives of our spell in League 1 is the fantastic home form we’ve had.

Take that into the championship and it’ll go a long way in making our season a successful one.
Absolutely, that's exactly my belief too.

And we couldn’t cope for a good while in L1. The strength of Championship considerably greater. Let’s not get carried away.

Big crowds don’t win games. We have proven that for several years.
Agreed.

Big crowds allow you to naturally spend more than other clubs. However, this does not include owner investment, parachute payments or spending what you don’t have. We all know we intend to be run properly these days so won’t be throwing money at it to compete with the above. I for one am glad for that. Even if we find investment then I don’t think Speakman would say anything anyway. He seems like an excellent poker player.

It’s not what you spend, it’s how you spend it and what you do with those players on the pitch that matters the most. I’m over the moon we have learned our lesson.

It’s not arrogant to say we’re the best supported club in the EFL.

The problem has been in my time supporting Sunderland is the ambition of the owner(s) and set up behind the scenes hasn’t matched the support.

Let’s hope KLD can change that for good and get us back to the top flight (in time)

Our geographical position goes a long way towards the crowds we pull in. The smogs would be quite high up the list based on crowds alone.

Does it really?
I could argue poor demographics in terms of population density and wealth together poor transport infrastructure.
The big thing in the north east is culture and football being an enormous community thing where by a disproportionate % of the population follow football.

actually think the standard has become much better the last few years, the amount of money being spent in the championship has meant it has improved drastically.

especially from parachute payment clubs in a bid to make the bounceback

we'll need a fair bit of investment

The standard is renowned as having dipped for a number of years.

It's a poor league.

Just looking down the list and was quite shocked at how there isnt many massive clubs in there. Sheff Utd, Birmingham, Coventry, WBA, Stoke, Cardiff, Blackburn etc all big clubs but certainly not huge ones like if Leeds or Everton were in there. Obviously Forest are massive if they lose Sunday.
Interestingly none of the "big clubs" or even the "massive club" you mentioned there had the biggest away support last season in The Championship.

Just like we were in 2017/18.

We won’t be the players cup finals though, as a team just promoted sides will come to us as they would any other in the league (bar boro) and that for me is a godsend. I think the main of our squad is more suited to championship football than League 1. Few clever additions and let’s kick on as a club.

I would would snatch ya hand off for staying up just now but imagine the pull/backing if we kick off in top 10 form from the off next season. Roll on July :cool:

We won’t be the players cup finals though, as a team just promoted sides will come to us as they would any other in the league (bar boro) and that for me is a godsend. I think the main of our squad is more suited to championship football than League 1. Few clever additions and let’s kick on as a club.
I was waiting for someone to say this, couldn't agree more. Our biggest advantage is that nobody will be coming to the SoL with a cup final attitude, or coming to only play for a draw, can see us being very strong at home.

Don't agree with this, arrogant posts like this doesn't help anyone.

Back