memory foam mattress

Discussion in 'SMB' started by fosters please mate!, Feb 10, 2019.

1. I have a topper over my orthopaedic mattress. It's fab for my arthritis but it does keep the heat in which isn't so good for Summer. Do your homework re the density of the foam as not all foam is the same. If your current mattress is ok try a topper and see how you get on before you commit.

PTR likes this.
  2. gizmoganzee

gizmoganzee Striker

Get a decent pocket sprung mattress and put a 5cm memory foam/ gel topper on for temperature regulation and comfort.

GlassSlippers likes this.
  3. Got the Emma one, probably too soft if I was using it long term, but since I only sleep in the bed for 3 or 4 weeks a year it does its job. I've slept in many a bed, and worst were in the Middle East (Except hotels), the ones in apartments and villas were like sleeping on a wooden bench.

4. PTR

PTR Striker

Otty is pretty firm. Certainly not soft

5. arthursboy

arthursboy Winger

Got a topper as I prefer a solid based, the wife got MF pillows, they lasted one night, thought I was going to be suffocated as my head slowly sank into it, fucking horrible.

6. sun gets in my eyes

sun gets in my eyes Subs Bench

Hehehe. You do realise that you've bought an old mattress that has had a new cover put on it to make it look like a new mattress, don't you ?

7. Yankee Mackem

Yankee Mackem Winger

Aye if you want a MF pillow go for a combination one or half and half. Really good and takes loafs of heat from your head.

8. Scotty 1978

Scotty 1978 Striker

Na brand new

9. dcl0sc

dcl0sc Striker

Don't do it. They are not good for your posture as they keep there shape. I had one and after a while used to get out of bed in agony with my back. Either get a reflex foam mattress or a decent pocket sprung mattress.

10. ebb

ebb Midfield

We've got a simba and like it. Had the Otty and liked it but it was too firm.
    When I buy the next one will get the premier inn Hypnos mattress.

11. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Goalkeeper

I think they are horrible, especially in the heat you can’t cool down as you’re sank in.

12. PTR

PTR Striker

You've tried the wrong ones then.
    Not all memory foam is created equally. I barely sink into mine at all. And its not very hot.

13. sun gets in my eyes

Expert......not so sure about that but I do have over 30 years experience in the trade. The best advice I can give is go to a shop and try some. All of the 'bed in a box' matts are made by regular bed companies. For example, Simba are manufactured by a company called Breasley. You can buy something with higher spec but at LEAST £200 cheaper in a store. Alternatively, you could spend the same money and buy a far superior mattress, which is the best option.

14. jubblies

jubblies Striker

15. stretch

stretch Striker

How do you rate Mammoth?

16. sun gets in my eyes

They are decent but a little overpriced in my opinion (and yes I do deal with them). Saying that, if you like memory foam they are a very comfortable mattress that will genuinely last for many years. I have to say that I would choose pocket springs with natural fillings every time for myself. By far the best comfort and support !

17. stretch

stretch Striker

Thanks. We went mattress shopping a few weeks ago and ended up being sold the full bed.
    It’s nice but we liked the temper, but couldn’t justify £2k

18. sun gets in my eyes

it just depends what you can afford. It pays to spend the money in the long term. Obviously that sounds like sales shit but it's very true

19. Lester1979

Lester1979 Winger

We got an Otty in the new year and it’s been spot on so far. We also got the two free Otty pillows and they were the biggest surprise cause I never expected a pillow with right angled edges to be comfortable.

20. stretch

stretch Striker

Yes, was done up like a kipper yo buy the whole bed, but the difference to what we had it’s worth every penny, and she knocked the vat off because of a bad back!