Memories of the 1990 Wembley play off final v Swindon.

Who has memories of attending this visit to Wembley then? Even though they won the game it was just 10 days later Swindon Town’s world imploded. Ossie Ardiles – (remember him? He was the manager that time forgot at Sid James Park....just before Keegan waked in) had led Swindon to the ‘infamous’ 1-0 triumph over us at Wembley. We weren’t very good that day iirc?
If I remember rightly this was the first time the play off final was over one game instead of two legs?
The FA relegated them twice for sanctioning illegal payments. Lou Macari was at the helm of the club when these were made?
The Mags were furious that we went up without winning the game! Even though we beat them at Sid James to make it there.
All to no avail because we were relegated straight after in our first season back....what a bizarre time that was!
Apart from having to take wife n 2 yo son down with me, the audi I had broke down, safc played shite and cudnt have decent slurp as driving back on the Monday after game, it was great:rolleyes:.

We were cack !

I’d been in 85 as well - canny record back then....

1-0 (x2) , Loss (x2), Own Goal (x2), Shite (x2)...
Tony Norman saved us from an absolute towsing.
We had no idea how to deal with their diamond formation which was a sad indictment of Smithys tactical nous.
Swindon could easily have been 5 up at half time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awful game, only Tony Norman gave a good account of himself.
It was my first time at Wembley and it had clearly seen much better days: The difference between the legend and the reality became all too apparent.
The day itself was red hot and the bus journey was awful.
Coming away from Wembley we were driving past hordes of Swindon fans in the street. None of thrm looked too bothered to gave won. I remember lads on the bus shouting at them: "cheer up you won"!
Looking back, maybe even then they knew something we didn't?

I went down with the gayest top on ive ever seen aged 16 wearing pink elephants probably why we lost. Good job Swindon had dodgy finances and we beat the 3rd place mags..

We'd bought a Bedford CF crewbus from a bloke in Hendon to go to Italia 90 and were meaning to sell it as soon as we got back but ended up going down to Wembley in it. I can't remember much tbh, apart from parking outside the Blind Beggar on Mile End Road for a pint just as it was opening.
Met me mam and dad inside Wembley, which was weird because they were supposed to be on a caravan holiday - they'd bumped into a coach full of Sunderland at a service station on the way down and they got given a couple of spares :lol:

Who has memories of attending this visit to Wembley then? Even though they won the game it was just 10 days later Swindon Town’s world imploded. Ossie Ardiles – (remember him? He was the manager that time forgot at Sid James Park....just before Keegan waked in) had led Swindon to the ‘infamous’ 1-0 triumph over us at Wembley. We weren’t very good that day iirc?
If I remember rightly this was the first time the play off final was over one game instead of two legs?
The FA relegated them twice for sanctioning illegal payments. Lou Macari was at the helm of the club when these were made?
The Mags were furious that we went up without winning the game! Even though we beat them at Sid James to make it there.
All to no avail because we were relegated straight after in our first season back....what a bizarre time that was!
I got pissed and fell asleep watching the match. I vaguely recall chucking my “lucky” paisley shirt away and heckling a fat Swindon slag who was winding us up in a traffic jam on the way back.

Me and my uncles drove down in an Austin Maestro at 90mph, the car was rattling :lol:
Wembley looked enormous after being to Roker, was amazed. I was only 13 tbf

Last edited by a moderator:
Walking out of Wembley after the Swindon game and my dad said congrats to a Swindon fan, he said no chance we will be promoted as Lou macari "had been caught with his fingers in the till". Sure enough a few weeks later they were relegated two divisions initially.

Was only 16 and went in minibus with my brothers, dad and his mates. There was a spare seat taken by a Peter Sutcliffe look a like who nobody knew too well. Just remember him being an arse on the way back when we stopped off at services and he claimed he’d heard Swindon had been denied promotion and we were going up instead. That got us cheering...until he said ‘not really’ and started laughing. Tit.

We were shite, I remember having a particularly shite view too, I few rows back so head height was about pitch level!
You have my sympathies marra. I was front row by corner flag for the Charlton playoffs. Couldn’t see the ball when it was below knee height because of advertising hoardings.

Remember thinking we are gonna piss this.in the pre-match build up we won everything.but as soon as the match started....the rest is history!

My Ma's car that I took to Wembley:

full

full

We stayed at my mate's kip in Ealing. We had a cracking weekend bar the match.

Remember thinking we are gonna piss this.in the pre-match build up we won everything.but as soon as the match started....the rest is history!
Ha completely forgot about the pre-match stuff.

My mate ‘blondie’ ( Johnny Atkinson from Morpeth) was in the U18 match. They won ..

I’m gannin to have a look in the loft think the program is up there somewhere...

Ha completely forgot about the pre-match stuff.

My mate ‘blondie’ ( Johnny Atkinson from Morpeth) was in the U18 match. They won ..

I’m gannin to have a look in the loft think the program is up there somewhere...
It was unreal.suppose it was an omen like

Back