Memories of the 1990 Wembley play off final v Swindon.

I was angry..it was such a lacklustre performance. We just complete!y bottled it. I remember throwing my scarf away onto the pitch in disgust at fulltime. We were truly aw ful...just never turned up. Unforgivable in front of so many fans

My last game before emigrating to Oz. Not a great way to go out!

As we left Wembley my mate said “wouldn’t it be funny if Swindon were denied promotion and we went up instead, that would really piss the Mags off!” So there must have been a lot of rumours even before the match. And he was right, and it did!

If Bob really did know about it for certain, and there were the odd rumours even at the time of the game amongst normal fans , I’m surprised it took so long to announce. Imagine in these days of social media and the internet :lol: the league probably would have been forced to declare everything and abandon the game

If Bob really did know about it for certain, and there were the odd rumours even at the time of the game amongst normal fans , I’m surprised it took so long to announce. Imagine in these days of social media and the internet :lol: the league probably would have been forced to declare everything and abandon the game

I was at the match but can't recall the weather been hot

Mind I was 19 & not the raving alcoholic I am now mind

That was to come after the charlton play off final

Wrong Wembley final. That was Wembley 85 v Norwich. Senile knacker!

:lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Absolute rubbish.

So many Sunderland fans on this thread saying we knew and the game was a formality. So wrong.
If anything a slapped wrist and maybe a small fine was what was expected.
We were a small club and were made an example of.
Tottenham got done, brushed under the carpet and a small fine.

Just saying what I remember from the game. Spoke to a lot when I went down to Swindon to buy a ticket and then more at the match as was sat in Swindon end. Most thought that they wouldn’t be allowed to go up even if they won. Got my ticket quite late so the fans I interacted with wouldn’t have been regular match goers I guess - maybe more impartial.

It was and we were.
My two SAFC trips were both 1-0 defeats against country bumpkin clubs and we were crap in both. Couldn’t get a ticket for 73 and been in Australia for all the other trips, but they’ve all ended in failure anyway.

We lost the game against Norwich because they were allowed to 'score' an offside goal.

If I could see that from my seat in the main stand 70? yards away why couldn't the ref from a few feet away?

We lost the game against Norwich because they were allowed to 'score' an offside goal.

If I could see that from my seat in the main stand 70? yards away why couldn't the ref from a few feet away?

To be fair we were horrific in that game. Against a team we’d hammered at their place the week before, and who I believe were statistically the worst team in the country from that day to the end of the season. Never been more sure that we would miss a penalty as I was when Walker took his.

To be fair we were horrific in that game. Against a team we’d hammered at their place the week before, and who I believe were statistically the worst team in the country from that day to the end of the season. Never been more sure that we would miss a penalty as I was when Walker took his.

That be as it may BUT John Deehan was allowed to come back onto the pitch and obstruct Turner's view when the shot came in.

It wasn't difficult to see that (apart from Turner) he was the only player in the six yard box.

Didn't Bob Murray say he knew the outcome of the whole thing before the game? Must have been a crazy time to be alive.
Gordon McKeag who was Chairman of the Mags at the time was also president of the Football League so he will have definitely known all about it and probably told Murray after we beat them in the play offs.

Macari had left to join us the previous summer, he then lost his job with us in early 1990 when the betting scandal broke

My last game before emigrating to Oz. Not a great way to go out!

As we left Wembley my mate said “wouldn’t it be funny if Swindon were denied promotion and we went up instead, that would really piss the Mags off!” So there must have been a lot of rumours even before the match. And he was right, and it did!

Yep I remember walking out of Wembley past some Swindon fans who were celebrating a bit too much and saying "wouldn't it be funny if after all that Swindon don't get promoted" - there were rumours at the time but nobody really believed anything would be done

Cherry on the cake though was the Mags whinging that they should go up as they finished third, and had clearly finished above us. Only for them to be firmly knocked back by the FA :lol:.

I was also lucky enough to be in line with Marco as he slid in the winner at Sid James...cue supporters of "everyone's favourite second team" trying to invade the pitch to get the match stopped.

Doubt there will be anything funnier than cheering every time one of those clowns got clubbed on the head by a local boy in blue wielding a truncheon. Happy days

Me and me pal, we were 19 at the time, f***ing chemist like but no harm to no one when the bloke sat infront of us with his young lad in Wembley decides to blames us for spitting on his shoulder. We were f***ing gobsmacked as we were just sitting waiting for kick off when all this kicked off. Anyway this happens about 3 times and he then fucks off to get a steward to get us hoyed out as "we werent going to spoil his day". Whilst his seat was empty his own son notices that the "spit" is actually water dripping from the roof above and not us spitting on the fucka.
Steward comes over and is literally about to hoy us out when the kid pipes up and shows his fatha what really had happened, to which the fatha just sat back down nee apology or fuck all!

What an absolute prick the bloke was and nearly ruined our day before it started!

Nee idea wee plays me in the film like.................................

most probably piss dripping from somewhere, it was 300 degrees celcius and like the sahara desert that day. only thing I remember was the sun blasting on me, sure I had sunstroke :)

Back