Memories of the 1990 Wembley play off final v Swindon.

I don’t remember anything about it (I was 6/7 at the time) but I do remember something in the back of my mind for a few years afterwards that I should hate Swindon for some reason related to this game :lol:

Remember next to nothing about the game but I was in those seats suspended from the roof, didn't enjoy that.

After the game though the Swindon supporters were not jubilant at all, very sombre. Pre internet so I knew fuck all what was going on but it was only a few days later IIRC that the news broke and we were up. So perhaps many of them knew what shit they were in.

Remember next to nothing about the game but I was in those seats suspended from the roof, didn't enjoy that.

After the game though the Swindon supporters were not jubilant at all, very sombre. Pre internet so I knew fuck all what was going on but it was only a few days later IIRC that the news broke and we were up. So perhaps many of them knew what shit they were in.

@Swindon On Tour did you know?

Is it my bad memory or were Swindon fans trying to create some noise by banging the fold down seats.

I remember Gabbiadini getting an early shot in on the turn then 85 minutes of garbage.

The joke doing the rounds after Swindon were relegated was Ardiles was the first Argentinian to go down two leagues since the Belgrano :oops::oops:

I think it was some kind of “wooooooaaaahhhh” as Norman goal kicked (which was every 3 minutes IIRC) followed by an “oooo” “ooooo” “ooooo” every time the ball bounced or was touched in the subsequent passage of play. How annoying it was is one of a few memories. Others being:-

1) plastic bottles of warm hofmeister that was nigh impossible to get pissed on

2) watching ‘match’ through a chip pan and seeing nowt

3) boiling hot day

4) some gadgy in Leicester Square saying “don’t worry - we’re still up” and not believing him.

5) getting a mate in to steward as he couldn’t get a ticket and him coming up from Bristol and stewarding in the Swindon end

6) some mag twat sniggering at Hampton court on my way home

7) although not at all superstitious, getting off at fulwell station 11 days later instead of my normal Hampton and two black cats crossing my path at once only to get home to hear the promotion news.

8) customary Trafalgar Square “what have they won?!” Heroics the night before the game.

Last edited:
Who has memories of attending this visit to Wembley then? Even though they won the game it was just 10 days later Swindon Town’s world imploded. Ossie Ardiles – (remember him? He was the manager that time forgot at Sid James Park....just before Keegan waked in) had led Swindon to the ‘infamous’ 1-0 triumph over us at Wembley. We weren’t very good that day iirc?
If I remember rightly this was the first time the play off final was over one game instead of two legs?
The FA relegated them twice for sanctioning illegal payments. Lou Macari was at the helm of the club when these were made?
The Mags were furious that we went up without winning the game! Even though we beat them at Sid James to make it there.
All to no avail because we were relegated straight after in our first season back....what a bizarre time that was!

I had no idea as to the pending investigations. Why would I anyway as demotions was never heard of.
Swindon were a good side, a very good side. The most confident I have ever been before a major final watching a Swindon.
It was a game of two periods. You had the first 5 minutes the remaining 85 you couldn’t get the ball. Wave after wave of patient build ups and shots with Norman playing a blinder.
Alan Mac Scored the goal albeit a deflection.
As mentioned on here many times. As a young lad I was taken back by the Sunderland fans after the game and their sportsmanship.
How ironic was they would get paid back days later.

Brother in tears on the Monday following the news and I vowed never to watch another football match again.
The last words to the Football League. Fuck you.

I had no idea as to the pending investigations. Why would I anyway as demotions was never heard of.
Swindon were a good side, a very good side. The most confident I have ever been before a major final watching a Swindon.
It was a game of two periods. You had the first 5 minutes the remaining 85 you couldn’t get the ball. Wave after wave of patient build ups and shots with Norman playing a blinder.
Alan Mac Scored the goal albeit a deflection.
As mentioned on here many times. As a young lad I was taken back by the Sunderland fans after the game and their sportsmanship.
How ironic was they would get paid back days later.

Brother in tears on the Monday following the news and I vowed never to watch another football match again.
The last words to the Football League. Fuck you.

Remember the mags saying they should've had your place because of your misdemeanours :lol:

Yes, that’s what I heard. Most of the Swindon fans on the day knew they weren’t going up. Players on both sides must have been messed up. I’ve always been convinced that we knew before the semi at the Mags and that’s why they were so motivated for that game and then so “unbothered” against Swindon.

Absolute rubbish.

So many Sunderland fans on this thread saying we knew and the game was a formality. So wrong.
If anything a slapped wrist and maybe a small fine was what was expected.
We were a small club and were made an example of.
Tottenham got done, brushed under the carpet and a small fine.

We came back under Hoddle but Ardiles team was better.
Playing the diamond in midfield we got National recognition as the team to go and watch. We were simply magical and the team immediately got broken up.
Never recovered and despite two admins since, countless ending up orders, failed takeovers and failed new ground opportunities in the main its been so painful to keep going but I have never quit.
This thread still gets to me all those years later. Without doubt the worse episode in my years following Swindon and will take it to my grave. I have never forgotten.

Sadly I can’t see us ever coming back and can only dream but what a story if it ever happened. The club they wanted to die but against all odds they came back.
Fuck the Football League. FTFL.

Last edited:
Didn't Bob Murray say he knew the outcome of the whole thing before the game? Must have been a crazy time to be alive.
He did.

Absolute rubbish.

So many Sunderland fans on this thread saying we knew and the game was a formality. So wrong.
If anything a slapped wrist and maybe a small fine was what was expected.
We were a small club and were made an example of.
Tottenham got done, brushed under the carpet and a small fine.

We came back under Hoddle but Ardiles team was better.
Playing the diamond in midfield we got National recognition as the team to go and watch. We were simply magical and the team immediately got broken up.
Never recovered and despite two admins since, countless ending up orders, failed takeovers and failed new ground opportunities in the main its been so painful to keep going but I have never quit.
This thread still gets to me all those years later. Without doubt the worse episode in my years following Swindon and will take it to my grave. I have never forgotten.

Sadly I can’t see us ever coming back and can only dream but what a story if it ever happened. The club they wanted to die but against all odds they came back.
Fuck the Football League. FTFL.
You're right. Spurs were treated completely differently. Very harsh.

Last edited:
Who has memories of attending this visit to Wembley then? Even though they won the game it was just 10 days later Swindon Town’s world imploded. Ossie Ardiles – (remember him? He was the manager that time forgot at Sid James Park....just before Keegan waked in) had led Swindon to the ‘infamous’ 1-0 triumph over us at Wembley. We weren’t very good that day iirc?
If I remember rightly this was the first time the play off final was over one game instead of two legs?
The FA relegated them twice for sanctioning illegal payments. Lou Macari was at the helm of the club when these were made?
The Mags were furious that we went up without winning the game! Even though we beat them at Sid James to make it there.
All to no avail because we were relegated straight after in our first season back....what a bizarre time that was!

Me and me pal, we were 19 at the time, f***ing chemist like but no harm to no one when the bloke sat infront of us with his young lad in Wembley decides to blames us for spitting on his shoulder. We were f***ing gobsmacked as we were just sitting waiting for kick off when all this kicked off. Anyway this happens about 3 times and he then fucks off to get a steward to get us hoyed out as "we werent going to spoil his day". Whilst his seat was empty his own son notices that the "spit" is actually water dripping from the roof above and not us spitting on the fucka.
Steward comes over and is literally about to hoy us out when the kid pipes up and shows his fatha what really had happened, to which the fatha just sat back down nee apology or fuck all!

What an absolute prick the bloke was and nearly ruined our day before it started!

Nee idea wee plays me in the film like.................................

Just cos I know you would all love to watch it again.....

Brings back memories! I was 11 at the time and fell asleep at half time leaning on my flag pole, it was so hot and we were right in the sun! I remember my dad buying me one of those Newcastle 0 Sunderland 2 T-Shirts which I put straight over whatever top I had on, the second half and the journey home in the back of a blue transit is all a bit of a blur!

My first away game (15)
Drove down with all my uncles the day before
Slept on the floor of a relatives house just outside London
Stinking hot
Wembley was a dump
We wa' shite
Swindon fans were miserable, after the match walking back to the Transit one of my uncles said to one of them "Cheer up! You won!" to which he replied "I've won nothing". Remember thinking Swindon fans were a right miserable bunch since then...

Back