Memories of the 1990 Wembley play off final v Swindon.

My Ma's car that I took to Wembley:

full

full

We stayed at my mate's kip in Ealing. We had a cracking weekend bar the match.
Ha ha thats class mate. Get the Delux out...

Posted this on here before - Got a short notice appointment for a minor operation on the Friday before the game which was on the Monday. Went in on the Friday for what should have been an 'in/out same day, couple of painkillers and jobs a good un' exploratory op on my knee, woke up to be told "we took some loose bone fragment out and repaired a tendon while we were in" so my hospital stay was to become 5/6 days instead with my foot up". Bollocks to that ... no doctor knows my body better than I do and my team needed me ! Signed myself out on the Sunday so I could go to the match on the Monday. Went with the supporters buses - I was in agony, the bus had to stop 5 times on the way so I could get off to throw up :lol:. Got back to the bus after the game, last one on, by which time I was actually in tears because of the pain and everyone thought I was upset because we'd lost :lol:, fortunately I slept most of the way back. When I got home my knee was swollen so much that my mam had to cut my jeans off like they do on Casualty. I have to admit ... Doctor knew better than me and also ripped me a new arsehole when I went back to see him the following week.

My Ma's car that I took to Wembley:

full

full

We stayed at my mate's kip in Ealing. We had a cracking weekend bar the match.

Class that like Keith.

We were shite, I remember having a particularly shite view too, I few rows back so head height was about pitch level!

yep, we were down in those seats as well. It was shite all around for us, no drink at all (supporters bus), got there just in time for kick off, watch us get battered (Swindon were mint mind) then straight off back home.

Last edited:
Posted this on here before - Got a short notice appointment for a minor operation on the Friday before the game which was on the Monday. Went in on the Friday for what should have been an 'in/out same day, couple of painkillers and jobs a good un' exploratory op on my knee, woke up to be told "we took some loose bone fragment out and repaired a tendon while we were in" so my hospital stay was to become 5/6 days instead with my foot up". Bollocks to that ... no doctor knows my body better than I do and my team needed me ! Signed myself out on the Sunday so I could go to the match on the Monday. Went with the supporters buses - I was in agony, the bus had to stop 5 times on the way so I could get off to throw up :lol:. Got back to the bus after the game, last one on, by which time I was actually in tears because of the pain and everyone thought I was upset because we'd lost :lol:, fortunately I slept most of the way back. When I got home my knee was swollen so much that my mam had to cut my jeans off like they do on Casualty. I have to admit ... Doctor knew better than me and also ripped me a new arsehole when I went back to see him the following week.
Quality

I remember Kieron Brady being ignored on a boiling hot day on the notoriously sapping Wembley turf, but Colin Pascoe played his first game in about 8 months and was probs 25% fit. I also remember bumping into a lad after the game, who I hadn’t seen in a while, who assured me we were up regardless.

Can remember how bad we were and how scruffy Wembley was. I’d been to the League Cup final vs Norwich a few years earlier and been behind the goal.
Against Swindon we were about level with the half way line - the seats were shocking, the grub and drinks inside were eye wateringly expensive and dreadful.
We were abysmal on the day - Swindon passed us to death - we made them look like Real Madrid - I remember thinking they’d do ok in the top flight.

It was surreal when it was announced a few days later that we’d be promoted in their place.

I also remember a couple of other clubs, including the Mags, tried to push their claims to be promoted ahead of us.

Went down midnight the night before on National Express from Park Lane, got down Victoria about 6 in the mornin. Remember nowt about the day, remember very little about the game other than we didnt turn up and got played off the park. Then back on National Express back to Park Lane

Can remember how bad we were and how scruffy Wembley was. I’d been to the League Cup final vs Norwich a few years earlier and been behind the goal.
Against Swindon we were about level with the half way line - the seats were shocking, the grub and drinks inside were eye wateringly expensive and dreadful.
We were abysmal on the day - Swindon passed us to death - we made them look like Real Madrid - I remember thinking they’d do ok in the top flight.

It was surreal when it was announced a few days later that we’d be promoted in their place.

I also remember a couple of other clubs, including the Mags, tried to push their claims to be promoted ahead of us.
Yes that comment about it being ‘scruffy’, it was like.

Cans of warm hofmeister on Wembley way.

Lost my mate outside stadium, who was eventually found in homerton hospital after being beaten up by Chelsea hooligans outside a pub.

Is it my bad memory or were Swindon fans trying to create some noise by banging the fold down seats.

I remember Gabbiadini getting an early shot in on the turn then 85 minutes of garbage.

The joke doing the rounds after Swindon were relegated was Ardiles was the first Argentinian to go down two leagues since the Belgrano :oops::oops:

I'd been living in Swindon for about 3 years and went to Wembley with mates on a Swindon bus and got dropped off on the North Circular and walked to the pub where all the Sunderland fans were. Missed the bus back and had to hitch, got loads of stick until of course they got relegated which did make us larf!!! :lol::lol::lol: Been here ever since.

Buying a t-shirt outside Wembley with the words

“Newcastle field 500 unregistered players, but the score line remains Newcastle 0 Sunderland 2. 16 May 1990”

Bought it off Jim Slater, then a young entrepreneur, who was later to become the Financial Director in the early 2000s
Those t shirts were fukin class...!

Cans of warm hofmeister on Wembley way.

Lost my mate outside stadium, who was eventually found in homerton hospital after being beaten up by Chelsea hooligans outside a pub.
If you bought your cans from two hula hula girls selling them from the boot of a red Astra it was me and my mate.

I'm too young to remember this game but was there any indication before the match that Swindon might not get promoted because of the illegal payments.

Maybe we knew this and the players didn't need to play well or probably we just played badly on the day and got lucky afterwards.

Back