Memories of Marton Fulop

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've already posted in this thread but I can't get over this, I'm absolutley gutted. I don't know if he has any kids but I can't imagine they'd be very old if he does.

I'd love to see a subtle 'In memory of...' plaque placed somewhere in or around the ground. If any money was going to be raised for anything, I think that would be a nice touch. Poor, poor bloke.

I've already posted in this thread but I can't get over this, I'm absolutley gutted. I don't know if he has any kids but I can't imagine they'd be very old if he does.

I'd love to see a subtle 'In memory of...' plaque placed somewhere in or around the ground. If any money was going to be raised for anything, I think that would be a nice touch. Poor, poor bloke.
Spot on

His shirt number while he was here was 32. It would be nice to see the club pay tribute to him and retire this number.

RIP Marton, you won't be forgotten by us.

If anything is done it should be this

If anything is done it should be this
It is a excellent idea, I know someoone has set up a go fund me link to place a wreath down, and mine was to cancer research, as I'll be honest I have no idea how to set up a page using my own ideas.

I wonder if we could email the club about it, I'm sure they could more than afford a plaque?

This is awful. I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here, but he played a couple of dozen games on loan to Leicester City in 2007-2008, and we loved him. I only saw him play two or three times, but he looked great - a big guy, but agile and strong, a real fans' favourite. The club offered Sunderland a million quid for him, but Sunderland wanted more, so we never got him. I reckon if we had signed him, we might not have been relegated to the third tier that season.

Again, not sure if it has been mentioned but he was famous for letting in the softest goal ever scored against City (or any other club, come to that) in a replayed League Cup game against Notts Forest. The first game had been abandoned after City's Clive Clark (another on-loan player) had a heart attack at half time, with Forest 1-0 up. In the second game, City allowed the Forest goalkeeper to dribble the ball into the net, with Marton Fulop standing aside, to give Forest back their lead. Apparently he understood the reasoning, but hated being on the receiving end! Mind you, we went on to win the game 2-1.

So sad: much too young. RIP Marton.

I remember the opening day of 2009/10 against Bolton, we won 1-0 thanks to a Bent header. Marton was immense that day in the pouring rain, iirc he made a fantastic point blank save in the last few minutes to help us win the game.

I'll always remember him running up to the away end at the end of the match, there must have been about 5000 of us in there. He stood and applauded the supporters for a while before throwing his gloves into the Sunderland fans. I'm getting upset thinking about it.

RIP Marton, a great keeper, consummate professional but most importantly a lovely bloke too.

Absolutely gutted me, remember his penalty save down city like it was yesterday. Cancer man, can't wait till we beat that bastard. Rest in piece big man, thoughts with the family and friends.

Maybe a few on here could chip in to have a memorial brick done for him? I'm happy to contribute if others are too.

Absolutely gutted me, remember his penalty save down city like it was yesterday. Cancer man, can't wait till we beat that bastard. Rest in piece big man, thoughts with the family and friends.

Forgot about that penalty save! Remember being right down the front, I was class when he saved it, Robinho's face was a picture.

To elaborate on a story I touched on earlier, I met him in a bar in Portugal in 2008 during the pre season tour. He was extremely approachable and down to earth, seemed to genuinely enjoy talking to the fans. Was asking him about the 3 players we were on the verge of signing from Spurs and he was waxing lyrical about Tainio, said he would bring a lot to the midfield with his touch footballing brain and passing. He was right, just a shame we never got to see him as much as we'd all have liked to!

I think it's testament to the man that so many current and ex professionals are describing him as one of football's 'good guys'. We tend to think of footballers as spoilt and egotistical and while a lot of them are, it's also important to remember that some are genuinely nice people.

RIP Marton, thanks for the memories.

I've seen something on Facebook for a minutes applause on the from the 32nd minute, to be done at the Stoke Game.

As long as it is a one off and not every game, then I think that is a fitting tribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back