Memories of Childhood 'Snacks'

Spangles, Dainty Dina toffees, Merry Maid Toffees, Black Bullets
Merry Maids that's them
couldn't remember what they were called
Used to buy 2ozs from Redby Tuck Shop for about 9p
Remember being in there the day Sunderland went 2-1 up v Man Utd at Old Trafford in 1974/75 season

Its a goal and back to Old Trafford
unbelievably Sunderland have scored 2 in 2 minutes and lead 2-1 and being 1 down

Them chocolate dipper things - biscuity breadsticks in a blue pot with a chocolate dip to dip em in. I think there was a red variety too which I presume would have been dark chocolate.

When i was a youngun, if i wanted something extra, it'd be a slice of white cheapo bread that i had to wrestle a rat for, butter ( stork margarine ) it, then sprinkle sugar all over it, fold it in half and chomp away on that. Its probably why i only have half of my own teeth right now. The rest got knocked out wrestling the rat.
Parts of that story may be made up.
I used to have Lyons Golden Syrup sandwiches. :oops:

They were for posh bastards, we only had Liquorice Root to chew on.

Well I was a posh bastard and I love Liquorice root!

When i was a youngun, if i wanted something extra, it'd be a slice of white cheapo bread that i had to wrestle a rat for, butter ( stork margarine ) it, then sprinkle sugar all over it, fold it in half and chomp away on that. Its probably why i only have half of my own teeth right now. The rest got knocked out wrestling the rat.
Parts of that story may be made up.

Sugar sarnies, red sauce sarnies, banana sarnies, crisp sarnies......

Give me mint cracknel and I don't care it'll chase the blues away.

Sioxxe sticks and bazooka joes. Hate the smell of bubbly now.

Anglos were the best bubbly imho. Nice and squidgy out of the wrapper. Bazooka Joes were harder at first but you did get the cartoon and the ability to purchase a "Magic Siren Ring"!

I used to have Lyons Golden Syrup sandwiches. :oops:

Lyle's. As in Tate & Lyle sugar refiners.

There used to be a banana ice lolly with soft toffee at the centre, they were lush. Banana Zoom! maybe?

Last edited:

Back