Melatonin

I’m not surprised. We dispense very little of it and mainly adults.
That’s abuse tbh but I have no idea what you could say or do 😔
It sure is abuse, I'm 99% certain its happening, the poor bairns don't deserve it.

Don't know if I made myself clear further up the thread but I think it's been passed on by a 3rd party to a Mother and Father who give it to their kids to help them sleep.

It sure is abuse, I'm 99% certain its happening, the poor bairns don't deserve it.

Don't know if I made myself clear further up the thread but I think it's been passed on by a 3rd party to a Mother and Father who give it to their kids to help them sleep.
You did make it clear. I really don’t know what you can do about it and tbh if it’s worth you putting yourself out there. I suspect it won’t be any different or looked at any more then parents who overdose their kids on calpol.

Shouldn’t take it without a chat (and prescription) with your gp. There are some contradictions and cautions when prescribing it.

Not sure how it would work after a night shift. It’sa hormone produced by your body in response to darkness.
Prescribing guidance is it shouldn’t be taken before 8pm or after 4am.

You did make it clear. I really don’t know what you can do about it and tbh if it’s worth you putting yourself out there. I suspect it won’t be any different or looked at any more then parents who overdose their kids on calpol.
It could cause potential ructions like, but I've started to notice certain changes in one of the kids and I'm sure it's this. Part of me thinks I should bring it up to protect the kids.

Do you take this to help sleep?

I sometimes do but always get wierd dreams
My daughter takes it
It's dodgy stuff like, it's a word familiar with me at the minute as I believe someone I know is misusing it with their kids.
What makes you think that? Edit, saw the other posts. My daughter has it prescribed.
It could cause potential ructions like, but I've started to notice certain changes in one of the kids and I'm sure it's this. Part of me thinks I should bring it up to protect the kids.
Curious, what changes does it bring?

Last edited:
Prescribed off license for autistic children relatively commonly. In my experience it is effective at helping kids get to sleep if you already have a routine but won’t always work and only helps get them off to sleep, not necessarily stay asleep for more than three or four hours. Never noticed any negative side effects in kids I’ve known that had it.

Prescribed off license for autistic children relatively commonly. In my experience it is effective at helping kids get to sleep if you already have a routine but won’t always work and only helps get them off to sleep, not necessarily stay asleep for more than three or four hours. Never noticed any negative side effects in kids I’ve known that had it.
Yeah, that's why my daughter has it. She won't fall asleep without it. True about not keeping her asleep too. Apparently the tablets are better at that, but she can't take them.

Well I’ve just got back home from night shift and not popped one. See how much sleep I get compared to yesterday when I did.
For the record, where I live I got the first box of 30 tablets on a free from the chemist but they were very clear that if I wanted more after that then I needed a doctors prescription.

Shouldn’t take it without a chat (and prescription) with your gp. There are some contradictions and cautions when prescribing it.

Not sure how it would work after a night shift. It’sa hormone produced by your body in response to darkness.
Prescribing guidance is it shouldn’t be taken before 8pm or after 4am.
Good medical expert advise on such a thread 👍

Changes in behaviour, demeanour, attitude, sudden meltdowns.

I suspect the kids get given it every night too.
I haven’t seen anything to suggest that it causes those kind of behaviour changes but the context to why it’s being used might if it isn’t prescribed and agreed with a GP. If it was prescribed it would almost certainly be every night so that in itself isn’t an issue but I’d be asking why it’s needed. Not that unusual for parents to medicate their perfectly ordinary kids to get some sleep unfortunately, MediSed sales used to rocket when the clocks changed for summer and kids wake up early because it’s sunny. The age it could be used was gradually increased to respond to what was essentially an epidemic of drug abuse!

I take it but only one week every three. Quite easy to become dependent or for its effectiveness to wane on continuous use.
This is not true. One of the benefits of melatonin is you don't build dependency/tolerance like you do with some other sleeping tablets.

I take it a couple of times a week and find it really helps. I much prefer it to the harder stuff like zopiclone or zolpidem, to which you can build up dependence/tolerance.

My brother who gets insomnia worse than me has tried it but gets the stomach side effects unfortunately.
It's dodgy stuff like, it's a word familiar with me at the minute as I believe someone I know is misusing it with their kids.
Here in Spain you can get it over the counter and someone at work told me that parents at their kid's school talk about giving it to their kids. I don't find that too bad to be honest, especially if it's just once in a while. It's a natural hormone.

Last edited:
This is not true. One of the benefits of melatonin is you don't build dependency/tolerance like you do with some other sleeping tablets.

I take it a couple of times a week and find it really helps. I much prefer it to the harder stuff like zopiclone or zolpidem, to which you can build up dependence/tolerance.

My brother who gets insomnia worse than me has tried it but gets the stomach side effects unfortunately.

Here in Spain you can get it over the counter and someone at work told me that parents at their kid's school talk about giving it to their kids. I don't find that too bad to be honest, especially if it's just once in a while. It's a natural hormone.
This isn't once in a while though, it's almost every night.

Back