Mega-hurricane heading for Florida

I've seen informal reports that quite a lot of people ignored the evacuation order because they didn't believe the 'fake news'. Florida is one of the right-wing conspiracy theory capitals of the world, and Governor De Santis has been stoking a lot of their fears and nutty beliefs. As with Covid, the Republicans seem intent on risking the lives of their own.

If hundreds or thousands stayed put, this may be the deadliest US hurricane since Galveston in 1900, which killed 8,000. The first footage from the worst affected areas looks horrendous.

I've seen informal reports that quite a lot of people ignored the evacuation order because they didn't believe the 'fake news'. Florida is one of the right-wing conspiracy theory capitals of the world, and Governor De Santis has been stoking a lot of their fears and nutty beliefs. As with Covid, the Republicans seem intent on risking the lives of their own.

If hundreds or thousands stayed put, this may be the deadliest US hurricane since Galveston in 1900, which killed 8,000. The first footage from the worst affected areas looks horrendous.

The same DeSantis who, when in congress, voted against providing federal aid to the victims of Hurricane Sandy.

The same DeSantis who, when in congress, voted against providing federal aid to the victims of Hurricane Sandy.
Is this really true?
I mean I know he’s a complete twat but if this is true the bar for hypocrisy for these utter c***nt has just been moved one rung lower.

What a shame the soft-as-shite Democrats are too Lilly-livered to call him out on this. If the shoe was on the other foot it would have been trumpeted loud and clear.

Last edited:
Is this really true?
I mean I know he’s a complete twat but if this is true the bar for hypocrisy for these utter c***nt has just been moved one rung lower.

What a shame the soft-as-shite Democrats are too Lilly-livered to call him out on this. If the shoe was on the other foot it would have been trumpeted loud and clear.
From the NY Times:

As a freshman congressman in 2013, Ron DeSantis was unambiguous: A federal bailout for the New York region after Hurricane Sandy was an irresponsible boondoggle, a symbol of the “put it on the credit card mentality” he had come to Washington to oppose.

Is this really true?

yes.
Another Republican who voted against it was Florida's own..... Marco Rubio.

If you see a tree falling outside of your house, don't try to video it...

Honestly can’t get over the stupidity of people these days the daft bint running towards a tree falling inwards towards trying to video it.. then shrieks of fear after honestly Darwin awards are made for people like her almost a shame she never got a clout on the head to knock some sense into her

Just heard the tornado siren here in Virginia Beach... We are on the outer bands of the storms here so I am hoping that its just precautions and not a sign of what is to come today.

I've stayed on the Rotonda near Engelwood a number of times. Thank fuck I'm not there now.

Stayed there a few years back myself. Lovely area.
Been wondering how badly its been hit.
Would imagine nearby Boca Grande is completely trashed now. A very affluent area with boats moored etc so insurance will have a lot to cover!

Would imagine nearby Boca Grande is completely trashed now. A very affluent area with boats moored etc so insurance will have a lot to cover!
Looks like Port Charlotte copped it a bit. I imagine Boca Grande got clobbered a bit like Sanibel did.

Just heard the tornado siren here in Virginia Beach... We are on the outer bands of the storms here so I am hoping that its just precautions and not a sign of what is to come today.
Gonna be a rainy few days all over Virginia. I'm in DC right now and was thinking I'd be driving down to Tennessee this weekend. Likely to not be a pleasant drive if I do it.

For VA Beach, really hope the eye is far enough inland at that point that it's not pushing surge as well as just the wind and rain.

I lucked out, just moved from Wilmington NC on Wednesday after 21 years living in the states. Ian is about to make landfall in SC just south of Wilmington and Wilmington will be hit with a storm surge and I should imagine some large areas of flooding.

I've got friends down in Florida too and all of them have had a really lucky escape. I've been through 3 hurricanes and a few tropical storms and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Was in NY when Sandy struck and lived on a top floor corner apartment facing Sandy full on, I was bricking it and I can't imagine being sea level and one hitting.

Would imagine nearby Boca Grande is completely trashed now. A very affluent area with boats moored etc so insurance will have a lot to cover
Family in the area has been devastated. One lives in a mobile home that is not there anymore, the other has lost their roof and a lot of their belongings as well as the obvious structural damage to the walls. Hearing so many of the people affected in that area seem to have not bothered with insurance.... Losing everything and no way to replace it...
I lucked out, just moved from Wilmington NC on Wednesday after 21 years living in the states. Ian is about to make landfall in SC just south of Wilmington and Wilmington will be hit with a storm surge and I should imagine some large areas of flooding.

I've got friends down in Florida too and all of them have had a really lucky escape. I've been through 3 hurricanes and a few tropical storms and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Was in NY when Sandy struck and lived on a top floor corner apartment facing Sandy full on, I was bricking it and I can't imagine being sea level and one hitting.
Wilmington is a great little town, stopped off on a road trip there a couple of years ago with the wife (no) and keep meaning to go back for longer.
Gonna be a rainy few days all over Virginia. I'm in DC right now and was thinking I'd be driving down to Tennessee this weekend. Likely to not be a pleasant drive if I do it.

For VA Beach, really hope the eye is far enough inland at that point that it's not pushing surge as well as just the wind and rain.
Seems to be ok right now, wet and windy but at least its not cold. Don't see a lot more being in this other than what we have.... as I type this I just got a 'shelter in place' alert for a potential tornado touchdown....

Last edited:

It’ll be true.

We were there not long before the hurricane hit and nobody seemed arsed. “Ah they always say this, we’ll be fine!” Was the general theme…

It’ll be true.

We were there not long before the hurricane hit and nobody seemed arsed. “Ah they always say this, we’ll be fine!” Was the general theme…
There were a lot who hunkered down or didn't get out of the area. My wife's aunt and uncle went from Punta Gorda to a hotel in Fort Meyers which probably saved them as they were 5th floor. The other aunt stayed at a hotel in Englewood through the storm, but that hotel was deemed unsafe last night due to no power or water...

Back