Mega-hurricane heading for Florida

I was there when Irma hit 😳 we were there for 3 gigs which all got binned off, we got evacuated out of our hotel in St Augustine & luckily got in the Holiday Inn near Disney Springs & holed up there, it was a mad night, lockdown in the area & only the fire door open to get out the hotel. I went out for a tab & all these emergency lads were out front & they like “ you ever experienced a hurricane?” I’m like na mate gets a bit windy back home but that’s about it, he says “maaan your in for a treat” 😂 to be fair the hotel put free free food on - pasta, pizzas etc & everything behind the bar was $4 which was class. Hit around 1-2am was fuckin wild 😳 Went for a walk next day & it was carnage trees, sign posts, traffic lights al ower - the day after that everything was open & you wouldn’t know it had happened.
I was there the same time, we had hired a villa so didnt really know what to do, the owner of the villa turned up and started laying sandbags and locking up the window shutters, I asked what we should do and he said that if it got too bad we should lock ourselves in the laundry room as there was no windows. We stocked up on water and food etc and waited for it to hit, it got very very windy and started lashing down so I was thinking this isnt too bad, I opened the back door and the trees were horizontal and the noise was horrendous, there was carnage outside. The back door was kind of set back into a porch so I stepped out to get a better look, I quickly retreated when I realised how bad it was, I was thinking we get gale force winds back home all the time it cant be that bad, I was very very wrong, the wife was screaming at me to get back inside which I did very quickly, within minutes the electric went off so all we had was a torch and candles for the night. The noise is something I will never forget, was the longest night of my life. Like you said though I couldnt believe how quickly they had everything put right within 24 hours.

Only a tropical storm Ian I can see.

That's what it was, but it's picking up energy and is now officially Hurricane Ian.

It's expected to become a category 4 hurricane over the Gulf of Mexico and to make landfall as a category 3. For context Hurricane Katrina, which obliterated New Orleans, came ashore as a category 3. If a hurricane of that size hits a city, it's a disaster.

In this map, 'H' stands for 'hurricane' and 'M' for 'major hurricane'. Looking really bad for Cuba and Tampa.

Logon or register to see this image

Lots can change in models for hurricanes this time yesterday was showing as gulf of mexico, Anyways Tonight all eyes on nova scotia as the worst ever storm to hit Canada comes to town

Hit the NS coast about midnight Friday. Fortunately it hit a fairly depopulated area. Cape Breton Island is still under a state of emergency

Highest recorded winds & record pressure lows

That's what it was, but it's picking up energy and is now officially Hurricane Ian.

It's expected to become a category 4 hurricane over the Gulf of Mexico and to make landfall as a category 3. For context Hurricane Katrina, which obliterated New Orleans, came ashore as a category 3. If a hurricane of that size hits a city, it's a disaster.

In this map, 'H' stands for 'hurricane' and 'M' for 'major hurricane'. Looking really bad for Cuba and Tampa.

Logon or register to see this image
Well given that it is heading for Tampa/Sarasota is a good thing.. Hopefully after I move there next year there won't be another one for a while.

They suffer them ever summer down there man
Over 100 years since it was last directly hit by a hurricane apparently.

Last edited:
We’ve brought our flight back to the UK forward a day. Didn’t fancy getting stuck here if travel is disrupted for the rest of the week

I’m in Soutb Carolina now for work, heading home to Tampa later today to get the shutters up in my gaff before the shit hits the fan.

Everyone seems to be full of anxiety so I’m just trying to be calm and not get caught up in the seemingly infectious fear. We live about ten miles inland and north of Tampa Bay so hopefully we’ll be clear of any storm surge. We always look at houses right on the water and think ‘nice gaff but wouldn’t want to be there when the storm comes’

Strange how the forecast has it as a category 3 or 4 over the gulf but quickly down to one as it nears Tampa Bay. Maybe much ado about nothing.

The problem with these storms is that past events don’t have much bearing on the present. I was in Houston when almost everyone abandoned the city for Rita and nowt happened. It came ashore east of the city and fizzled out. Since then they had Ike and Harvey and got absolutely hammered!

we were living in New Orleans in 1995 when this big hurricane was heading straight for us...there was panic in shops
we stockpiled for a few days..all the essentials.. some people evacuated...we had nowhere to go...so stayed put.
when the hurricane finally hit...it kind of fizzled out...but there was still heavy rain and flooding..
for weeks after the streets were littered with carpets..furniture etc etc from flooded houses
the empty apartments in our block were filled with insurance assesors for weeks

Back