McNulty

Not sure it’s really an excuse though. I work away all weekend, get paid a hell of a lot less than Grigg does, only see my family 2 days a week, live in the spare room of a friend and turn up to work and produce what I’d like to think is a good standard of work. He’s got all the money in the world and could be chauffeur driven back to Lancashire every day after his massive 2 hour training session if he wanted to. Don’t know how these people would cope in the real world
Are you perhaps mistaking Will Grigg for another player who has accrued considerable wealth during a career spent exclusively in upper reaches of the Premier League ?

I know that it’s identifying players can be difficult, what with nearly everyone having beards these days, but Will Grigg is the one who has played for non-league Stratford Town, Walsall, Brentford and Wigan. He might be comfortably well-off by comparison with most supporters, but he’ll not be advertising for a chauffeur any time soon.

Are you perhaps mistaking Will Grigg for another player who has accrued considerable wealth during a career spent exclusively in upper reaches of the Premier League ?

I know that it’s identifying players can be difficult, what with nearly everyone having beards these days, but Will Grigg is the one who has played for non-league Stratford Town, Walsall, Brentford and Wigan. He might be comfortably well-off by comparison with most supporters, but he’ll not be advertising for a chauffeur any time soon.

He’ll have been on half a million quid for the last 5+ years. Won’t get any sympathy here. I manage to do fine on £50k a year.

Apt username it appears

Well he wasn't shite at Wigan and his body language looks off. The lad looks unhappy.

Players are only human at the end of the day, we don't know what's happening in the lad's life, or he might be struggling to settle. It just seems odd how bad he's actually been. He looks as though he has zero confidence.
the ball that Maguire scored from, are the type of balls Grigg has always scored from, but we don't do them very often.

Agree but surely if we are taking lads on a season long loan then we are putting faith in our scouting that he is decent and a first teamer (otherwise what's the point?). I'd hope therefore that we would have this a standard requirement. As a very recent acquisition I'd assume he'd know one of the basics of a loan signing contract.

You can never be certain with players but if we sign players permanently we are generally offering 2 year contracts these days. A loan for a season is less risk. A loan where we could lose an integral part of our team after 5 months is more of a risk.

I imagine he will know the ins and outs of every type of contract given he has owned football clubs for years.

I’m just making the point it’s a bit unreasonable to expect him to know the answer to every question without having the information in front of him to refer to. It’s better to say I’m not sure can I get back to you on that as opposed to giving someone the wrong information.

Well he wasn't shite at Wigan and his body language looks off. The lad looks unhappy.

Players are only human at the end of the day, we don't know what's happening in the lad's life, or he might be struggling to settle. It just seems odd how bad he's actually been. He looks as though he has zero confidence.
Fair (and perceptive) comment, Gipetto, la.

Listening to the RR podcast it was a bit worrying that Donald wasn't sure if there was a January recall clause for McNulty. Eventually said he was 99% certain there wasn't. A bit daft if we've allowed that but worrying that the chairman doesn't know for certain.

Surely delegated to the dof

He’ll have been on half a million quid for the last 5+ years. Won’t get any sympathy here. I manage to do fine on £50k a year.

Apt username it appears
no way has grigg been on £500k for years..he has been in league one fo a lot of it..where top whack is £300k.
Listening to the RR podcast it was a bit worrying that Donald wasn't sure if there was a January recall clause for McNulty. Eventually said he was 99% certain there wasn't. A bit daft if we've allowed that but worrying that the chairman doesn't know for certain.
why would SD know that off the topof his head? the head of fooball and the manager need to know offthe top of their heads..not the chaiman..who has to oversee every aspect of the club..

Last edited:
Surely delegated to the dof

If I was pissing and moaning about deals from the previous regime backfiring on us I'd be making sure that certain standards are required by whoever was working for me. Appreciate he may not know everything - maybe I'm being to idealistic assuming he'd have a handle on everything going on.

If I was pissing and moaning about deals from the previous regime backfiring on us I'd be making sure that certain standards are required by whoever was working for me. Appreciate he may not know everything - maybe I'm being to idealistic assuming he'd have a handle on everything going on.

Tbf to him he's got loads to contend with.
U heard the podcast? Excellent listen

Back