McLaughlin contract

Richie K

Striker
Surely now the window is shut, someone at the club could find some time to offer our number 1 a new contract?

I know they are desperately trying to sell the club and probably not bothered about the playing staff next season, but it is a joke that this isn't sorted one way or the other.

Surely now the window is shut, someone at the club could find some time to offer our number 1 a new contract?

I know they are desperately trying to sell the club and probably not bothered about the playing staff next season, but it is a joke that this isn't sorted one way or the other.
The lack of forward planning has been a big concern for me for a long time, every action taken on the playing side seem to be short term, there's around 8/9 players whose contracts are up in the summer we should be keeping the nucleus of the squad regardless of which league we in, we cant have another massive upheaval and turn over of players

The lack of forward planning has been a big concern for me for a long time, every action taken on the playing side seem to be short term, there's around 8/9 players whose contracts are up in the summer we should be keeping the nucleus of the squad regardless of which league we in, we cant have another massive upheaval and turn over of players

Personally I'm not sure we want to be tying League One players down to long term deals. We could do with the wiggle room if we do go up.

It's the same as loans in this league; I don't get why people moan about them - in our position they make perfect sense.

I don't think the issue is lack of time, it's lack of money being made available by an owner who wants only to maximise profit and minimise outlay.

If Donald hasn't finally fucked off by the end of the season, we are in all sorts of trouble when it comes to the playing squad we will have, especially if we get promoted, we will be starting a million miles behind everyone else.

Who out of this squad are you wanting to tie down for the championship? We need a huge overhaul and turn over of players if we get promoted.

Most players in league one are signed on 1 year contracts and you don't see any 3/4 year deals like the in the prem. I don't have a problem us waiting to see where we are at the end of the season and making decisions then.

Who out of this squad are you wanting to tie down for the championship? We need a huge overhaul and turn over of players if we get promoted.

Most players in league one are signed on 1 year contracts and you don't see any 3/4 year deals like the in the prem. I don't have a problem us waiting to see where we are at the end of the season and making decisions then.
What we need and what we are capable of are massively different, and where have I mentioned long term contracts? I mentioned long term planning the planning for next season is clearly not even there, I'm saying rather than starting the summer with a threadbare squad again try to keep it as it is (so only 1year extensions with potential clauses) and add quality not sniffing round for quantity that we have done time and again and acquired shite,

Talks may be ongoing for all you know.

I think there are too many balls up in the air right now - who will own the club on the 1st Sept? What division will we be in? It could be that McLaughlin wants a contract on Championship wages regardless of what division we are in. I think it's sensible to wait and see were we are in May and make contract offers based on what we know at that stage

The guy has never played higher than L1 in his career. Personally I don't think he's brave or commanding enough to ever be a No1 at a higher level. If we do go up, then we'd need a new keeper, with either Burge or McLaughlin as back-up. As Burge has time on his contract, it makes sense to keep him.

perhaps he has been offered a contract better than he was on and substantially better than any other keeper in the division but his agent is still trying to double that up which would see him being paid more than most championship keepers....just a thought

Two year extension ideally. Even in the championship he would be solid competition I think.
But have either confirmed that McL wants to enter talks?
If he’s coming out saying ‘no offer has been made yet’, you’d assume he’s at least willing to negotiate.

Players we need to tie down are McLaughlin, O Nien, Maguire, Wright. And we already have Willis who has another year if I remember rightly. These would make the step up to the championship in my opinion.

Back