mcewan's best scotch

The New Derby used to do a very nice pint of Trophy (I know I'm going off-tangent now). Surprising as it was a last resort pint in a lot of places. Maybe they actually cleaned their pumps? Or were the only ones that didn't?

Iirc there were a few adverts, all class, as well as the one shown.

One an army deserter risks a trip to his local for a pint.
Another, a bloke comes home from the beer festival in Munich for a pint.
Another, a tax exile hanging from a helicopter, not setting foot in the country, for his fix of scotch.

Iirc like, long time ago, also Alun Armstrong featured a lot, I think.

That reminds me just how good some adverts (usuall beer ones) used to be. At some point fun went out of adverts and we got the bloody Meerkats.

Carling Black Label, Hamlet Cigars, even Phileas Fogg crisps had decent ads. Cant think of many on tv now that make me smile

That reminds me just how good some adverts (usuall beer ones) used to be. At some point fun went out of adverts and we got the bloody Meerkats.

Carling Black Label, Hamlet Cigars, even Phileas Fogg crisps had decent ads. Cant think of many on tv now that make me smile
The Carlsberg ones with Mads Mickelson are class mind. Annoying as hell nobody anywhere on the Internet can find the source of piano music used in the adds.

John Coton cigarillos

Had a a few pints of Scotch when I was a young lad, never liked it but it was cheap.

The club got it in a few months back, so I tried it again ... bloody vile stuff.
I asked them why the had it back in after all these years, their answer was that the brewery gave them a better price on the rest if they took on some unpopular brands.
I like to try all the new beers when they come out, but theres normally a reason they're not popular.
Belhaven was pretty bad from memory, but apparently very popular north of the border.

The New Derby used to do a very nice pint of Trophy (I know I'm going off-tangent now). Surprising as it was a last resort pint in a lot of places. Maybe they actually cleaned their pumps? Or were the only ones that didn't?

The Brit in cleadon used to do a nice pint of Trophy. Made a nice malty change from the Carling piss we normally drank! At least we'd grown out of lager and lime :oops:.

All the ads nowadays seem to consist of singing and dancing and mainly black or mixed-race people. And as you say, there's no humour any more, or craft like the Carling Black Label ads, "I bet he drinks Carling Black Label"...

Last edited:
Iirc there were a few adverts, all class, as well as the one shown.

One an army deserter risks a trip to his local for a pint.
Another, a bloke comes home from the beer festival in Munich for a pint.
Another, a tax exile hanging from a helicopter, not setting foot in the country, for his fix of scotch.

Iirc like, long time ago, also Alun Armstrong featured a lot, I think.
The mulleted lad on the train, pulling into Newcastle to the sounds of the rewritten Paul Young/Wherever I Lay My Hat (It's only when I see McEwan's Scotch, I know I'm home) was a lad called Bob Smeaton/Smeeton, I think - no idea why I recall that but have trouble recalling what I did yesterday

The mulleted lad on the train, pulling into Newcastle to the sounds of the rewritten Paul Young/Wherever I Lay My Hat (It's only when I see McEwan's Scotch, I know I'm home) was a lad called Bob Smeaton/Smeeton, I think - no idea why I recall that but have trouble recalling what I did yesterday
Iirc Bob Smeaton was the singer from Newcastle band White Heat. I may be wrong mind though but !

Like many on here, was my learning to drink pint, was amazed when I left home for the south (Preston) to find you couldn't get best scotch anywhere outside on the North East. Fuelled most of the gigs I went to late 70s early 80s, normally drank in the farmer's rest in the Haymarket before heading to the city hall or Mayfair
Farmer Rest that bring back memories

I was like that, but without the mullet. As my train back from London crosses the sewer, I’d start to look forward to my first pint of scotch. Straight off the train, across the road and into Yates Wine Lodge. Couple of pints and a few regal kings, with a side of a couple of bags of canny Tudor.

Iirc Bob Smeaton was the singer from Newcastle band White Heat. I may be wrong mind though but !
Just looked him up and he's now an internationally renowned maker of music documentaries - he's won a couple of Grammys, been nominated for Emmys, and has worked with the likes of the Beatles, Nirvana, Queen, Floyd, etc :eek::eek:

Back