mcewan's best scotch

Best Scotch was my drink when i first started in the early 80's.

I went on holiday with a mate and his family, somewhere down south, and the pair of us were about 16 at the time. We got used to underage drinking at home, so tried our luck when we were on holiday. We walked into a pub and asked for 2 pints of scotch. The barmen looked at us and replied, "nah". We tried this a couple more times, but get getting knocked back with "nah". He then says, "you want 2 pints of whisky?" After we sussed out southerners had no idea what scotch beer was, we ended up with 2 pints of bitter.

I still drink cans of Mcewan's Export, for old times sake. Its my beer of choice for a train journey

A drayman for S&N told my Dad once that McEwans Scotch was (re)brewed from all the sh!te that didn't make the grade to be Exhibition, Tartan, Export etc.

Horrible stuff from what I can remember - wouldn't thank you for a pint of it.

I used to love Best Scotch until Wimbledon away in 97.

To fool the coppers I filled two coke bottles with the stuff and kept them on the bus for the way back. I didnt reckon on it being so hot though and drinking it warm all the way home put me off it for life.

When I was a kid, one of the best things about staying with my grandparents in Consett, was that when my gran went to bed, my Grandad would open a can of McEwens best scotch, and we would "share" it. I got about a quarter of a pint of it from a blue can, in a half pint tankard. As long as I promised not to tell my gran or my dad. I was never allowed any of the Export mind... "too strong for you"...

Never liked the taste of it, but it made me feel special watching match of the day and listening to the old sod whine at the TV. Happy times.

Thought it had died a death to be honest. Will have to try a pint and see if I've acquired a taste for it.

Saw it on draught in Washington a few years back next to exhibition.
Not had a pint of half and half for years, was buzzing to try it again.
It tasted like piss water. There is a reason things die out.

Export in cans available in most supermarkets, never see Scotch in cans no more. lay tile I saw it on draughty was the avenue 12/18 months ago, weak as out and gave me heartburn

Like many on here, was my learning to drink pint, was amazed when I left home for the south (Preston) to find you couldn't get best scotch anywhere outside on the North East. Fuelled most of the gigs I went to late 70s early 80s, normally drank in the farmer's rest in the Haymarket before heading to the city hall or Mayfair

McEwans Export is my favourite beer to drink in cans.
Love the "Red Death" me like.
My Grandad used to drink that. Always had a case of it on the go. When he died and we held the wake at his house, my and my cousins all grabbed a can and raised a toast to the old man. The look on everyone face after their first gulp was priceless. f***ing minging stuff. How he lived to 85 drinking that poison is beyond me! :lol:

My Grandad used to drink that. Always had a case of it on the go. When he died and we held the wake at his house, my and my cousins all grabbed a can and raised a toast to the old man. The look on everyone face after their first gulp was priceless. f***ing minging stuff. How he lived to 85 drinking that poison is beyond me! :lol:
It's lush man. 😎

Old men like Scotch, it’s cheap and weak. It’s not a great pint imo but if you are in the sort of place that would be selling scotch I.e. a club, it’s likely that the rest of the beers will be the boring bog standard options anyway

Iirc there were a few adverts, all class, as well as the one shown.

One an army deserter risks a trip to his local for a pint.
Another, a bloke comes home from the beer festival in Munich for a pint.
Another, a tax exile hanging from a helicopter, not setting foot in the country, for his fix of scotch.

Iirc like, long time ago, also Alun Armstrong featured a lot, I think.

Back