Mayweather v McGregor

Status
Not open for further replies.
He done well in the featherweight division. But Dana White has more or less giving him what he wants. White was against having 2-weight champs because of the titles been inactive but he let McGregor go for 2-weight titles. McGregor held the featherweight title for over a year without defending it. He fought Diaz twice and Alvarez once in that time. Diaz beat him soundly but had to give him a rematch, something that was refused to Aldo. He got the Diaz rematch and then a title shot at lightweight. After beaten Alvarez he said he was taking a break because his wife is pregnant so the lightweight title is inactive. But now he will fight Mayweather in a boxing match, something Dana White also said wouldn't happen and blocked Silva fighting Roy Jones Jr. So now the lightweight title will be inactive for a year. The UFC should grow a pair of balls and tell McGregor he has to defeat his title against Diaz or whoever the no.1 contender is by the summer or he'll be stripped of it. They should remind him that he's contracted to them and block this Mayweather fight or tell him he has to buy out his contract if he wants to fight Money.

I have SAFC spell check on my PC. It didn't recognize the word 'defend'.
Sorry mate. I was just being petty and mischievous.

McGregor can't fight without permission from the UFC because he has a contract with them.

UFC offered them both $25m to fight, Floyd won't accept anything less than $100m plus PPV.

Dana White has just said a couple of days ago, McGregor has 4 fights left on his contract so he needs to fight his contract out then do what he wants with boxing.

Sounds like it isn't happening tbh.

McGregor has a boxing license in California which means he now may be covered by the Ali Act so he could terminate the contract. The UFC has the exclusive right to promote all of their fighters' bouts, so this actually breaches Sec. 10 of the Ali Act which offers their fighters protection from coercive contracts, and obviously McGregor's contract with the UFC is preventing him from boxing so the contract is actually illegal.

There's also state laws to take into account, with the most helpful laws to McGregor being either New York or California, which coincidentally is where McGregor has his boxing license.

There's a good read about it on bloodyelbow, I can't post links so just google 'How Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather could happen without UFC permission'.

McGregor has a boxing license in California which means he now may be covered by the Ali Act so he could terminate the contract. The UFC has the exclusive right to promote all of their fighters' bouts, so this actually breaches Sec. 10 of the Ali Act which offers their fighters protection from coercive contracts, and obviously McGregor's contract with the UFC is preventing him from boxing so the contract is actually illegal.

There's also state laws to take into account, with the most helpful laws to McGregor being either New York or California, which coincidentally is where McGregor has his boxing license.

There's a good read about it on bloodyelbow, I can't post links so just google 'How Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather could happen without UFC permission'.

That isn't how it works though is it? The Ali act hasn't been extended to MMA so the fact he has a boxing license doesn't affect it, he would be in breach of his contract if he tried to fight Mayweather without the UFC.

That isn't how it works though is it? The Ali act hasn't been extended to MMA so the fact he has a boxing license doesn't affect it, he would be in breach of his contract if he tried to fight Mayweather without the UFC.

It hasn't been extended to MMA, no. The point is if he really wanted to fight Floyd, he would use the Ali Act to have his contract with the UFC terminated because it's a 'restriction of trade' on his boxing e.g. the UFC contract would prevent him from fighting on Top Rank or Golden Boy cards since the UFC contract states they have exclusive rights.

It hasn't been extended to MMA, no. The point is if he really wanted to fight Floyd, he would use the Ali Act to have his contract with the UFC terminated because it's a 'restriction of trade' on his boxing e.g. the UFC contract would prevent him from fighting on Top Rank or Golden Boy cards since the UFC contract states they have exclusive rights.

Until the Ali act is extended to MMA his contract can't be terminated.

Or at least that's what I've read from it all.

Until the Ali act is extended to MMA his contract can't be terminated.

Or at least that's what I've read from it all.

The article explains it a lot better than I do.

But if that fails, the article also explains how Calfornia's state laws could terminate the contract.

The article explains it a lot better than I do.

But if that fails, the article also explains how Calfornia's state laws could terminate the contract.

I've just read the article and there is loads of reasons in that why it won't happen like that

Bit of a joke really, if its a boxing match Mayweather wont even break sweat, if its a MMA bout McGregor will win.

Stupid. Its like saying what is the better Tractor? a Tractor or not a tractor?

I like boxing and UFC but have no interest in this fight. what a waste of time. They aren't doing it for their love of the sport or passion for it.

They just want money.

What are they? Seems to be the only way it could possibly happen.

It could take years of legal battles to even get it approved along with an injunction to stop McGregor fighting in the UFC while it is ongoing

McGregor would have to terminate his contract with the UFC (he has said multiple times he loves MMA not boxing) so would never fight for the UFC again

If McGregor does find some loop hole and a court agrees, then does book a fight with Mayweather while under contract with the UFC, the UFC could give him a fight date for UFC the same time as his fight with Mayweather and could be sued for not taking it

Also at the bottom of the article it says,

"All this is likely academic, for I very much doubt that that any of this is in the works. Still, if you need something to keep your Mayweather vs McGregor fantasies alive, well I've given you a scenario that hopefully does just that."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back