Maybe gyms aren’t that safe, after all...

I went back when the last lockdown was relaxed..you were given a bit of kitchen roll and told to wipe what you’d used..looking around not many were adhering to it.
Same at mine, I stayed two weeks then cancelled. I was the only one wiping down equipment before and after and sanitising my hands. I’m not passing on C-19 to someone just to lift some weights or go for a run.

Same at mine, I stayed two weeks then cancelled. I was the only one wiping down equipment before and after and sanitising my hands. I’m not passing on C-19 to someone just to lift some weights or go for a run.

Same here..it just didn't feel like it was worth the risk..i had lads coming up to me for a chat cos i hadn't seen them in ages..no masks..not worth it.

I will be attending the gyms when they open, as well as going straight back to 5 a side. I have been expected to commute to work and sit in a non ventilated office throughout a lot of the pandemic, which seems worse than the gym I currently attend.

Fwiw I agree with exercise classes. Shouldn't be allowed until everyone is vaccinated.

Last edited:
But most everywhere else has been closed longer.
Unless things are different in England, that’s not correct. The gyms closed the moment Scotland locked down in March, and opened almost 2 months after the pubs, restaurants and cafes in the summer. No group exercise classes were allowed unless you were in Tier 1 or 2, and they closed on Christmas Eve and haven’t reopened again.

Last edited:
I went back when the last lockdown was relaxed..you were given a bit of kitchen roll and told to wipe what you’d used..looking around not many were adhering to it.
That was my experience. It was a right carry on for someone who moves around different bits of equipment. I stopped going , except to use the treadmills when the weather was awful.

My gym was very good.

We had staff acting as COVID monitors on shifts for the whole time the gym was open. I wish there was more consistency between them (you could go in one day and they wouldn’t bat an eyelid at a group of 3 working out together as long as they were wiping everything down, but some days you’d get a bollocking for taking your jumper off mid exercise) and I hoped would have done more to stop people coming in without masks, and better policed how many households were at each table in the cafe but they did enough to make me feel safe.

They also had this thing that looked like a ghostbusters backpack that they would go around with every half hour and spray antibacterial mist over all of the equipment.

Last edited:
Unless things are different in England, that’s not correct. The gyms closed the moment Scotland locked down in March, and opened almost 2 months after the pubs, restaurants and cafes in the summer. No group exercise classes were allowed unless you were in Tier 1 or 2, and they closed on Christmas Eve and haven’t reopened again.
I think this was the same in the uk.
There have been no classes unless tier 1 and 2.
When the gyms reopen April 12th its the same, no classes.

It’s obvious really. The infected one was shouting and spreading the disease and the participants were breathing deeply because of exercising and sucking it deep into their lungs. This is why gymns have been kept closed for so long.

During the last period that it was possible to do so I went swimming a couple of times a week at the pool where I’m a member. I didn’t go to the gym on the same premises because I considered it more risky.

There were strict rules, to enable the proprietors to open in accordance with one way systems, mask requirements, gel dispensers, wiping down if all surfaces, strict booking systems, distancing etc. All the information at the time, as it grew, indicated low possibility of infection in the pool, whilst swimming if rules were adhered to and the building lent itself somewhat to distancing. In addition I very often found myself alone in a changing and showering area designed for about a dozen

JVT shared information, at that time, about the main areas to be mindful of regarding infection (ventilation, proximity etc) which included the risks associated with volume - if you’re shouting at somebody even when they’re 2 metres away, the virus is going to carry further.

And that was the main problem with attending the pool. I had to be really mindful of the few blokes who did attend who seemed to want to shout at each other across distances, even over the heads of other people nearby and had occasion to speak to a couple, on one occasion, who had been in the gym and were yelling across the changing area that was shared with the pool.

I’m looking forward to having a swim at some point in the future but I’m relieved that it’ll be vaccine protected because some peoples self discipline is sadly lacking.

Fully aware that some readers will think I’m a bit if a fanny but I’m beginning to increasingly not give a flying fuck.

My gym was very good.

We had staff acting as COVID monitors on shifts for the whole time the gym was open. I wish there was more consistency between them (you could go in one day and they wouldn’t bat an eyelid at a group of 3 working out together as long as they were wiping everything down, but some days you’d get a bollocking for taking your jumper off mid exercise) and I hoped would have done more to stop people coming in without masks, and better policed how many households were at each table in the cafe but they did enough to make me feel safe.

They also had this thing that looked like a ghostbusters backpack that they would go around with every half hour and spray antibacterial mist over all of the equipment.

My gym was the same - couldn't fault them. Felt it was about the safest place I could be - limited numbers, everyone following the protocols, sanitser everywhere. Definitely more risky going to Tesco. The only reason I wouldn't go tomorrow if they re-opened is because my membership package doesn't allow it.

I went back into the gym after last closure . Week before new lockdown I got an email from the gym 11.00 Monday morning saying someone who had been in the gym with me 9.00 am the day before had tested positive.
How you can be fit for gym one morning and have a positive test back within 24 hours baffles me.
I didn't get it though, or if I did I was asymptomatic .
Your last sentence answers your own question. Most gym goers are younger, generally healthy, people who are the most likely to spread it around without knowing about it, as they’re the least likely to develop any symptoms. Plenty of workplaces operate under rapid testing, so probably picked up the positive through that and went down for a PCR to confirm. Was likely just like you and asymptomatic - hell, why would you want to go to the gym with covid symptoms?

I've been going to the gym throughout, people are being careful, wiping down equipment, cleaning hands etc.
And I'm allowed to take my mask off on a running machine

Id say the benefits outweigh the risks. Only time they closed my gym since last May in Spain was due to heavy snow at the beginning of January!

I'd have thought due to the nature of them the risk in gyms in general is very high.
I suppose that’s just the nature of these places where a lot of health conscious people can workout in large, well ventilated spaces and where there’s been few reported cases in this country, right?

Back