Maybe gyms aren’t that safe, after all...

It’s obvious really. The infected one was shouting and spreading the disease and the participants were breathing deeply because of exercising and sucking it deep into their lungs. This is why gymns have been kept closed for so long.

I went back into the gym after last closure . Week before new lockdown I got an email from the gym 11.00 Monday morning saying someone who had been in the gym with me 9.00 am the day before had tested positive.
How you can be fit for gym one morning and have a positive test back within 24 hours baffles me.
I didn't get it though, or if I did I was asymptomatic .

I guess it depends on the gym.

I was going to hetton gym because the Eldon square one didn't reopen (I don't think)

And the gym staff and gym protocols were excellent.

Capacity was capped. The app showed how many people were in so you could space out. The staff went round regularly and cleaned every surface. Sessions were 50mins and the staff gave another clean before the next session. Most of the exercise equipment was either well spaced or faced a wall or window. All group activities were stopped. This also set the tone for the users who were also careful and sanitised everything.

Not aware of any outbreaks from there and hetton was a highly infected area.

If all gyms stuck to that it would be fine. It's shit owners that are the problem.

I never went back to mine as I didn't feel like it was safe. It's in an industrial unit in the middle of the building, so there are no external doors or windows for airflow.

He was doing group classes with a grid marked on the floor, but the rectangles were right next to each other, like below. The rectangles were about 2x3m in size. You had a set of equipment in your rectangle that was sanitised between classes but I didn't feel safe being so close to people breathing out in the rectangles around me. I'd have really hated being in one of the middle rectangles.

If all gyms stuck to that it would be fine. It's shit owners that are the problem.

Too much focus is put on cleaning surfaces.

Unless the windows are open and a gale blowing through its a bad environment for spreading it sadly.
I never went back to mine as I didn't feel like it was safe. It's in an industrial unit in the middle of the building, so there are no external doors or windows for airflow.

He was doing group classes with a grid marked on the floor, but the rectangles were right next to each other, like below. The rectangles were about 2x3m in size. You had a set of equipment in your rectangle that was sanitised between classes but I didn't feel safe being so close to people breathing out in the rectangles around me. I'd have really hated being in one of the middle rectangles.

One person infected in that area would have infected at least three others IMO.

Last edited:

Back