May voting thread - Environmental portraiture.

Shot of the month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry it's late folks.

Vote for as many as you like and you have 7 days to vote.

Voting Guide (which you can ignore of course)
Photographs should be judged on how well they meet the current challenge topic.
Photography equipment used should not be a criterion for rating a photo.
Evaluate the photo in various aspects, set a consistent norm and give your vote accordingly
If you don't vote for a picture, please try to provide constructive criticism how the shot could be improved.

If any of you can't see one or more of the pictures drop me a PM listing what you can't see and I'll stick them on Flickr or something similar.

Good luck everyone.

I've gone for TomTomMacute, Madmackem and Phil.

I've gone for three which met the theme bang on; quite a few didn't I'm afraid. All my personal opinion of course.

TTM - I think you said this was an opportunistic shot? It's a very striking shot within the theme.

Madmackem - the character of this guy really shines through and I think that was the real point for me this month: I was hoping to see shots which really told you something about an individual. This one does. You were helped by the abundant sunshine.

Phil - what a pretty girl. I think the strength of the shot is the juxtaposition of that lovely lady with that rather unexpected context. That keeps you looking at it, wondering what she's doing etc. Nice one.

No time to get an entry in last month :-(

Two for me stand out, The Great Soprendo and Not Spavin got the vote.

Well done to all.

Tried to have my say on everyone, I thought this month would be a bit difficult as a challenge and so it proved, all just my brash amateur opinion.

btw, I'm hating the silly borders/framing on some shots

Tom Tom Macute - I like this shot, the swirl around his face and the contrasting clean stroke - VOTE

les The Scientist - cute but empty for anyone other than the immediate family.

Hue Jorgan - Well done you've managed to camouflage your subject !

Peachbum - no eyes to see (corny title) and boring, wasted opportunity.

taipeisafc - Wish you'd gotten closer, I'm frustrated by the interesting colourful items on the table you could have made better use of.

Elliot - Boring, a standard pamphlet shot.

Matt1988 - In general, I hate dogs but I'm sure this guy is smiling at me, I see character in this simple yet effective shot - VOTE

DiggerG - Shouldn't a bullseye be dead centre ??

ThankHeavenForShed7 - Boring, would like to have seen them actually playing music.

Amnorrageordie - Boring, sorry.

The Great Soprendo - I think I like this, I like the focus on the footprints, not sure about the B/W though - VOTE

MaDMaCKeM - S'ok, not enough there.

phil - You say you cropped it, you left an odd arm in and chopped off two guys heads !! Needed a better angle/shot.

clyde - I like the colours, I fear they're fake/boosted.

not spavin - Are we to believe this drawn cock is real, or is this what you mean by "tarted up in gonk" ?

janiep - Boring, sorry.

Last edited:
To Tired Eyes.

I like that you are outspoken. I would prefer you had an entry. I agree with you on mine; I know you wanted me to get the drunkards to play up, but I wanted to show them in their environment ie the bench on the green. The guy on the right had whites of the eyes that were completely red. He has been beaten up, alcohol will always be part of his life I should think. So although he is smiling, he has nothing to smile about and his smile certainly didn't reach his eyes.

Last edited:
Two Votes only this month.
Peachbum and Clyde.........

........although some came close to getting a vote.

Great Soprendo ... spoiled by the footprints. Should have either not been there, or led right up to the subject.

Madmackem... Smashing portrait but not enough environment.

Phil ... Could have been an excellent subject if only it didn't have the headless ones .

Just my own personal view of course.
Hope I havn't offended or huffed anyone.

picture.php

Phil ... Could have been an excellent subject if only it didn't have the headless ones .

]

Thanks for the comment TTM

I did think about this quite a bit before posting it and this was my line of thinking...

The person works with alot of people around them (all the people viewing and bidding) but i wanted to avoid it looking like a crowd scene. I could have cropped almost everybody out of it, i could have had lots of complete people. However, as the title is environmental portraiture i wanted a pic of the person that showed there were lots of other people around at their work, that in no way took away from the portrait of that person. It was a lot more than just heads that i took off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, but to show more of the environment was difficult due to the sun, bloody tourists (;-p ) and the sheer size of the memorial. I think a mad dressed as he was infront of an obviously historical building was enough.

To tiredeyes - How do you display your prints? most people mount and/or frame them to display theirs, putting a border on is just doing the same to a digital picture - nothing wrong with that.

Two Votes only this month.
Peachbum and Clyde.........

........although some came close to getting a vote.

Great Soprendo ... spoiled by the footprints. Should have either not been there, or led right up to the subject.

Madmackem... Smashing portrait but not enough environment.

Just my own personal view of course.
Hope I havn't offended or huffed anyone.

picture.php

Cheers for the comment...sort of get what you mean but not sure I agree though! The footsteps actually do lead up to the subject, but due to the selective focus (and the nature of how he actually walked into the sea, since it wasn't staged, and the changing sand texture) it's come out how it has. If I'd used a narrow aperture it would have all been in focus but I actually think it works better with selective focus - a more dreamy quality? Anyway, all very subjective and I do appreciate any comments, positive or negative. Someone else commented that they weren't sure about it being B&W - didn't have much choice there as that was the film I had loaded. Could be true but I'll never know!

Anyway, I have been mean and placed one vote only this month, for yours tomtom: it stood out for me. I really liked the texture of the soap on the window and the cut out of it - met the theme really well, giving a great flavour of a window-cleaner's work, and a very well executed shot.

A very tough month which took a lot of us out of our comfort zone I thought. This is how I saw this month:

Tomtom - I like the idea but I don't like how the subject is obscured. The gap in the soap has left an interesting 'frame within a frame' but there's no real point of interest in there. Good creative idea though.

Les the Scientist - more of a family snapshot than an environmental portrait.

Hue Jorgan - again, the main subject is mostly obscured which doesn't work for me here.

Peachbum - I think this shot would make a decent candid. As you had them on board and they were cooperating I would expect a little more. It could use some kind of interesting framing or composition or something to bring it to life a little. It's just a little straightforward at the moment if thAt makes sense?!

Taipei - I love this shot. I can't for the life of me understand the point of view that you should have framed to remove the colourful food on the table. This is what brings this picture to life and tells you about their lives. Vote.

Elliott - great shot but you're missing out on a vote due to a technicality. With museums and such like I think it's a little easier to get this type of shot as people are dressed in character. Still a lovely, well-composed shot though.

Matt - a very nice shot but it tells me nothing of interest about the dog's life or surroundings.

DiggerG - I kind of like where you were going with this. The problem with using an animal like this for an environmental portrait is that it's an animal that lives in a farm. I think that's quite an easy story to tell in a photograph so, unless it's a stunning image, it's not going to stand out.

Me - poor effort. I know this comp isn't meant to be about techy stuff but I really found out about the limitations of my camera when I was trying to get shots that day. I guess it's my fault that I tried to get an entry in a busy room with lots of movement and not a ton of light. It might not be the most exciting shot but I think you can really get a sense of how these people live based on the visual information I've included in the frame so I'm happy from that point of view.

Amnorrageordie- a nice street photography snapshot but I don't feel like I've learned anything about their lives.

TGS - I think this is an absolutely stunning shot. The selective focus and use of black and white are ABSOLUTELY the right choice. They add to the nostalgic feel of the image and we can get a real sense of this kid's life by being transported back to our own childhoods. Vote.

MaDmAcKeM - a good shot but, again, I think it's easier to get this kind of shot when someone is dressed in character. One thing that I really like about this shot is the warm tones. It kind of has the visual feel of a 70's movie about
it.

Phil - another good candid but it just needs something more to make it stand out from the crowd. I would.

Clyde - another absolutely stunning shot. It doesn't get a vote because, I'd it wasn't for the fact that I feel like I know you a bit from here and from your flickr stream, I don't think I'd be able to start to build a picture of what your life is like from it. It needs just a little more visual information. I'm also extremely jealous becuase I love shooting on the north east coast (usually at roker and seaburn) but I'm currently about 3000 miles away. It makes my heart ache!

Not spavin - another brilliant shot. I think this is a really good lesson on how to take a mundane shot and make it interesting through good composition and framing. The phone in the hand is the initial point of interest and the blokes tie acts as a leading line to send our eyes around the frame. Very well done. I'm not voting for it because there is absolutely no way that he was drawing a cock shooting sploom in the middle of a packed train.

JanieP - I really like what you've tried to do here. Placing the big screen in the shot and getting the trophy presentation in there is really smart. The only problem is that I didn't notice it for about 3 days because the faces in the foreground are a. Bit distracting and take too much attention sways from it. I also fund it a bit jarring having those faces crammed up against the camera like that.

Please take these comments in the spirit that they are intended. I know that a lot of us are trying to learn here and so I try to make my comments as constructive and helpful as possible, rather than just saying stuff is shit. That's not what this forum is really about.

Peachbum - I think this shot would make a decent candid. As you had them on board and they were cooperating I would expect a little more. It could use some kind of interesting framing or composition or something to bring it to life a little. It's just a little straightforward at the moment if thAt makes sense?!

I know exactly what you mean. There is definitely something missing. Thanks for your comments, I like reading everyone's thoughts on the photographs, where we agree and disagree.

I was disappointed with my entry, it just didn't hit the spot for me at all. Some months I can feel quite pleased with my entry but I just didn't this month. I only took about ten shots and didn't think was right to go back another day and ask to do more.

JanieP - I really like what you've tried to do here. Placing the big screen in the shot and getting the trophy presentation in there is really smart. The only problem is that I didn't notice it for about 3 days because the faces in the foreground are a. Bit distracting and take too much attention sways from it. I also fund it a bit jarring having those faces crammed up against the camera like that.

Please take these comments in the spirit that they are intended. I know that a lot of us are trying to learn here and so I try to make my comments as constructive and helpful as possible, rather than just saying stuff is shit. That's not what this forum is really about.

Well work harder next time :p

No, I'm only kidding, I didn't think mine was any great shakes to be honest. We just happened to be there, and I happened to have my phone and with half an eye on this month's theme I thought I might get something. As has been the story of my life this year, I just haven't had time to go out and do something "proper" with my real camera.

Taipei, Shed7 and Soprendo for me, purely on gut feeling and impact

quality entries from all of you but I restricted myself to 3, was tough..

Phil, liked yours a lot but would've been happier if the fellas at the back had heads on ;)

Janiep - yours could've been in this month's as well...pesky date

ETA - dint read the rest of the thread before I posted :oops: and certainly dint notice the cock on Spav's pic....

Last edited by a moderator:
Taipei - I love this shot. I can't for the life of me understand the point of view that you should have framed to remove the colourful food on the table. This is what brings this picture to life and tells you about their lives. Vote.

Thanks for the vote and comment, regarding the framing to remove the colourful food I assume you are referring to Tired Eyes comment, I read their comment as I could have framed it better to make more use of the colourful food and got in closer - which I do agree with (as an excuse I was using a cheapo point and shoot with an LCD screen barely visible in the sunlight so framing was not the best, plus the lass got shy after the first shot and didn't let me take anymore).

Thanks for the vote and comment, regarding the framing to remove the colourful food I assume you are referring to Tired Eyes comment, I read their comment as I could have framed it better to make more use of the colourful food and got in closer - which I do agree with (as an excuse I was using a cheapo point and shoot with an LCD screen barely visible in the sunlight so framing was not the best, plus the lass got shy after the first shot and didn't let me take anymore).

Aye, I mis-read it! I still don't agree. Tis spot on as is. I feel your pain with the LCD thing - can't see a bloody thing on mine as soon as the sun comes out.

thank you for the comments including the stooopid negative ones - lol ;)

the cow was meant to be hidden and camoflauged - lol

thats the whole point of the pic its in its environment, hiding behind a hedge 'making a cows egg'

maybe I'm trying too hard - lol

oh well never mind. better luck next time eh?

Peachy and Soprendo for me

Although can I just say to Phil - splort

My votes are based on the following:

Does the environment add something/tell us about the person or people(or animal) being photographed. Is the picture pleasing? Does it hold the attention?
As ever, in case anybody new reading, all meant to be in good faith, and meant well.

TomTomMacute - the guy is obviously a window cleaner, but as we can't see his face, the photograph doesn't hold the attention. But it was an original idea and well shot.

Les the Scientist - I am not sure who is the main character, and the environment tells us little. Georgeous baby Finn though. For a portrait you would go in closer, for an environmental portrait (EP from hereon in), you need something to explain about the subject. The environment here isn't good, you have curtains, something hanging off the shelf and a stick out of your brother's head.

Hue Jorgan - not sure why you haven't picked up any votes? The environment shows us the cow in her natural environment. A cow is a cow, it is an original take and well shot. A very small niggle, the eyes would be better not having the fence crossing on them . VOTE

Mine - thanks for the votes guys, not disappointed with the low vote, not my favourite entry ever, though I think I met the theme OK.

Taipei SAFC - I like this photograph, It appears a bit bright in the white bits?? The children look like they are brother/sister, and Mum and Dad, have told them to look after the stall, which they don't mind, but they are a bit bored with it and are likely up for some mischief if it could be had. VOTE

Elliot - At first look it looks good, but then it looks dated? I don't know what a curve is (sorry if this is important). So the guy works on a train (for the purposes of beamish). You said you altered it, I would have got rid of the block of concrete that appears to come out of the guy's head, and that bright splash of light on his arm and waistcoat on an altered photograph. Sorry this photo doesn't work for me. Someone said it looks like a brochure photograph and it does.

DiggerG - Welcome to the contest. I think your worst failing was not including some environment in an EP! :) I'm not sure what that splurge of grey is across the bottom but maybe it could have been cropped. Look forward to seeing more entries.

Matt1988 - See above about not including some environment in an EP theme month!

Thankheaven for shed7 - I think is the best EP - there is so much included in the picture that tells you about the couple. They look happy relaxed and close to each other, without giving a care about the rest of the world. You can see they like their music (even if perhaps nobody else does!?) with the cymbals and violin(?) on the wall too. Their clothes, and room too, also tell a story. It might not be the best photographed entry but mega points for meeting the theme. VOTE

JanieP and Amnorrageordie - Both interesting photographs, but I'm not exactly sure who's portrait I'm looking at. They are both of crowds. I know you could argue the case that they are EP but they fail to meet the theme as well as others. (Janie I think your picture could be stronger if the daylight at the top was cropped??)

Madmackem - A well taken and lit photograph but I'm not sure if it EP or just a portrait?

Phil - I prefer the way you've taken it with the other characters' heads taken out of the frame. It focuses the attention on the lass. Like it. VOTE
Great soprendo - I really like the photograph, but although the child is in a favourite environment the environment doesn't tell us a lot about the child. Apart from his foot size! I like it but just misses on the theme for me.

Clyde - See also above about the environment not telling us a lot about the subject. We were supposed to go out of our comfort zones and relate with other people! I know your coloured skies win a lot of votes, but I still find them rather false. Sorry . The outline of your body is a bit blurred

NotSpavin - I actually think is very good, it is well composed, nicely coloured, and tells a tale. VOTE

I haven't got a photo of the month, because Thank heaven's tells such a good story, Not Spav's is beautifully composed.

Edit: on later thoughts, Mine - I'm not sure I did meet the theme that well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back