May voting - Dereliction, Neglect, or Decay

Challenge winner??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
And what ground breaking idea did you have to symbolise dereliction, neglect and decay? Oh, a ruined castle. Props to steeeed and the bloke who took the picture of the discarded book for thinking outside the box but your idea is just as clichéd as any of the b&w entries IMO

Here's the white knight, been nudging the post for while, knew you'd have to stand proud sword in hand, ready to defend the poor villagers, couldn't help yourself could you :lol:

However you're probably right, I tried a natural frame with negative space, taking a shot of a derelict castle, peachbum summed it up, a tourist shot :oops::lol: - Knowhere near good enough but I'm not crying about it, try again next month.

Abuse, you what, where, who, when ??

Because I hadn't seen the colour shot had I :roll: and the B&W one was just standard added darkness must = derelict, neglect and decay.

Now I see that, its ten times better than the B&W version, apart from the white thing on the back wall and the already mentioned brick structure bottom rh side but seriously, that is tons better than that dark B&W effort, look at the gloomy colours and details you killed with the B&W conversion, saddening.

my picture seems to have become the point; it shouldn't be. This is about you discarding all of the b+w for some convoluted idea that cliché is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, just the subject. I just find it quite dull. I feel a bit cheeky saying that, no offence intended. I know there's a field of photograpy where capturing everyday objects is quite popular but I don't particularly get it.
Blue - that is fine. Not cheeky and no offence at all - I've said the same many times before. I like any criticisms good or bad - how do we learn otherwise?

Red - I didn't know that!

my picture seems to have become the point; it shouldn't be. This is about you discarding all of the b+w for some convoluted idea that cliché is wrong.

tbh I can do what I want, I also try to not vote for shots that I perceive to have large amounts of PP, I have my reasons for doing both, it seems like that's your problem, not mine, like you said earlier

"it is a bit of fun to take the photos and a bit of fun to see what other people do, not a competitive thing to win"

Just let it go like I thought you were going to.

tbh I can do what I want, I also try to not vote for shots that I perceive to have large amounts of PP, I have my reasons for doing both, it seems like that's your problem, not mine, like you said earlier

"it is a bit of fun to take the photos and a bit of fun to see what other people do, not a competitive thing to win"

Out of curiiosity what are your reasons for not liking large amounts of PP?

Also it was me who said that not sean.

:lol: back to fruit loop.. your perception is flawed anyway marra.

Does PP mean where you alter an image after you've taken the shot?
Bit like when you meet a bird with large breasts and then get her home and find she's wearing a padded bra?:confused:

chinamackem said:
Does PP mean where you alter an image after you've taken the shot?
Bit like when you meet a bird with large breasts and then get her home and find she's wearing a padded bra?:confused:

Hmmm the 2 situations have nothing in common.

shieldsblackcat with a camera :lol:
OY. I may have liked your photograph, but childish playground namecalling isn't needed. There is not a lot of love lost between Tired Eyes and myself, but he does call things as he sees them. We are all entitled to our opinions and disagreements are fine but the last post is just unnecessary.

peachbum said:
OY. I may have liked your photograph, but childish playground namecalling isn't needed. There is not a lot of love lost between Tired Eyes and myself, but he does call things as he sees them. We are all entitled to our opinions and disagreements are fine but the last post is just unnecessary.

:lol: cheeky. But I like it.

UaeExile said:
I'm off to bed. This thread is getting silly and is in danger of getting snipped :lol:

Steeeeds fault. :lol:

:lol: back to fruit loop.. your perception is flawed anyway marra.

... erm yeah, ok then
Logon or register to see this image

Out of curiiosity what are your reasons for not liking large amounts of PP?

Also it was me who said that not sean.

For me it's about the skill of the shot, it's certainly not about how good you are at post production.
It becomes make believe when you boost colours that weren't there or silver B&W shots, that isn't the shot that was in front of the lens that you snapped is it, there was one shot in this competition a while ago that was beautiful, a sunrise/sunset (great colours) behind a cloud at the coast, I voted for it, it was a great shot, then he showed you the shot before post production and it wasn't anything like what I voted for, I felt violated :lol: it seemed like cheating to me, I think it's almost cheating but it's not against any rules here, so I decided I'd try to take PP into consideration when voting.

So you did, apologies.

It was less in name calling, more their view (which is entitled) being very different to the norm, but without giving reasoning for their views

... erm yeah, ok then

For me it's about the skill of the shot, it's certainly not about how good you are at post production.
It becomes make believe when you boost colours that weren't there or silver B&W shots, that isn't the shot that was in front of the lens that you snapped is it, there was one shot in this competition a while ago that was beautiful, a sunrise/sunset (great colours) behind a cloud at the coast, I voted for it, it was a great shot, then he showed you the shot before post production and it wasn't anything like what I voted for, I felt violated :lol: it seemed like cheating to me, I think it's almost cheating but it's not against any rules here, so I decided I'd try to take PP into consideration when voting.

So you did, apologies.

No probs, that is all i was asking. Just some background to why you had such restricting criteria.

I can see what you are saying but I don't agree. Just as their was room in film days to make alterations after the shot had been taken, in the dark room the same applies to digital once it is on the computer.

I think you would be hard pushed to find a published photo that has not had any post production work on it, whether that is fixing a white balance problem or boosting certain colours.

As you said you liked the photo until you knew it wasn't as is out of camera, surely a good photo is a good photo regardless of what post work has been done.

It was less in name calling, more their view (which is entitled) being very different to the norm, but without giving reasoning for their views
A lot of people don't give their reasons for their votes. Which is a shame on occasion. TE said he ignored all the B+W photos as clichéd. That was his opinion, we don't have to agree with him.
He is right about the "arse-licking" too (in general rather than in particular), I know several people who won't take part in this competition (any longer) because it can be a bit cliquey on occasion.

ayesane said:
:lol: cheeky. But I like it.

Steeeeds fault. :lol:

And I'm normally such a pacifist! Clearly today's confrontational blip has gone already as I've just been informed we're going on the piss in jesmond and I didn't even mention the words Germany and Portugal!

... erm yeah, ok then

So you did, apologies.

Clyde's shot wasn't it? it was processed in Lightroom, exactly like what the camera does internally when it generates the JPG. Except he took control, and processed the RAW file himself. PP is no different to darkroom manipulation. Digital has just made it accesible.

What I can't understand is tiredeyes disregarded b&w yet voted for steeeed didn't he? I'm on my phone and can't remember so correct me if untrue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back