May challenge - Environmental Portraiture - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow a slow month so far, having said that there was a flurry of activity at the end of last month, so we shall see.

I would have thought that there would be loads of entries this month?

are you being distracted by the football :lol:

come on folks get ur fingers out there aint long left for this month you know. :lol:
Part of the reason for selecting the subject was to take people out of their comfort zone. Seems to have taken most people a bit far out.
:confused:

I just think it's a pretty boring challenge this month, very little room for manoeuvre, I expect to see lots of "standard" shots, with nothing too exciting tbh, so far I'm right, other than the window cleaner which is slightly quirky and interesting, the others are bog standard anonymous also ran google images, sorry :oops:
Thanks! :lol:

I had to skive work and go and talk to some gentlemen on the green, get them to stop posing, make sure the ones that didn't want their photographs on the internet didn't get in the photograph. All the time being watched by my colleagues.

Having said that I'm not dead impressed with the final result, I wanted a couple more gentlemen in the picture, and I wanted the guy with completely bloodshot eyes to look with open eyes at the camera, but he wouldn't, so I had to settle for what I got.

There is one man who stands vertically but on various occasions I have seen him tilt backwards to about 45 degrees, before he realises he is falling and he manages to come to the vertical rather than falling over. Unfortunately I wasn't able to include him in the photograph.

Part of the reason for selecting the subject was to take people out of their comfort zone. Seems to have taken most people a bit far out.

My difficulty with it is getting the opportunity. Usually if I'm short on time I can do an 'at home' version one evening after work, but can't do that with this subject. Planning on getting out specifically with a zoom lens on the weekend, but if I can't this might be my first no-show.

Still think it's a good theme. A challenging one mind.

Sorry but you could have done much, much, more - me, I'm hoping to catch two old ladies having tea and cakes then offer to buy their lunch in exchange for them posing, hopefully I can get them to give me the "vaux" sign with grimaces on their faces or summit daft like that, you had people who'd do owt for a bottle of Lambrini and that's all you got, c'mon man !!

Sorry but you could have done much, much, more - me, I'm hoping to catch two old ladies having tea and cakes then offer to buy their lunch in exchange for them posing, hopefully I can get them to give me the "vaux" sign with grimaces on their faces or summit daft like that, you had people who'd do owt for a bottle of Lambrini and that's all you got, c'mon man !!
I agreed I was disappointed with my end result, but I didn't want them posing, I had to stop them posing! I wanted them in their environment doing what comes naturally. They didn't need more alcohol, perhaps I should have bought them a cup of tea, (I was going to get them something) but I was needed at work, maybe I shall thank them next time they come out to play with a bag of fruit or something.

Anyway, I think we shouldn't comment on photographs until the voting starts:?: Say I took your comments on board and went out and took another photograph of them "acting up" as you suggest, and entered a second/different photograph, others would think that was a tad unfair? (I'm not going to do this!:))

More a case of getting people to agree to be in a photographed, for a competition, on the internet perhaps? I had the idea of showing my daughter in her extremely messy bedroom with some of her art and favourite things on the walls, but she didn't want to.

boo hiss to the knackered peepers one ;)

I was quite please with mine, and one or 2 others are OK too

I was trying to get a pic that was not a human, which I did set myself that challange, so I was out of my comfort zone.

so come on the clever clogs lets see yours - lol (fnar fnar)

Having said all of that I was wanting summit more wow! tbh, and thought heck folks are gonna come up with summit much better anyways

the ice cream dude is great (but not entered?) and I thought this is gonna be another cracking month, again having said that there is still time, and there was a flurry of activity at the end of last month.

Didn't get far out of my comfort zone.
I was sitting having a coffee and reading the morning paper when the window cleaner popped up.

I love this one TBH. Dead clever, and well done you for seizing the opportunity.

boo hiss to the knackered peepers one ;)

I was quite please with mine, and one or 2 others are OK too

I was trying to get a pic that was not a human, which I did set myself that challange, so I was out of my comfort zone.

so come on the clever clogs lets see yours - lol (fnar fnar)

Having said all of that I was wanting summit more wow! tbh, and thought heck folks are gonna come up with summit much better anyways

the ice cream dude is great (but not entered?) and I thought this is gonna be another cracking month, again having said that there is still time, and there was a flurry of activity at the end of last month.

So a boo/hiss 1st, then you agree.

:-D

I could've got some cracking shots at the weekend if only my camera performed better in low light. I'll probably throw one of them in anyway. I was planning to get some shots of my professor at my graduation last week but it just turned out to be too hectic a day.

So a boo/hiss 1st, then you agree.

:-D

Hmmmm Kind of, I just thought the extreme bluntness of your OP was rather woooode (as the annoying fecker Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars would say) and of course rare around these parts of the forum :lol:

I personally would have 100% with you agreed if your photo was outstanding ;)

Last edited:
Hmmmm Kind of, I just thought the extreme bluntness of your OP was rather woooode (as the annoying fecker Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars would say) and of course rare around these parts of the forum :lol:

I personally would have 100% with you agreed if your photo was outstanding
;)

I had a great shot entered last month, only got 3 votes, doesn't matter, same people vote for the same people, little bit of a clique, bit like Eurovision !!

I'm in. I know that this competition is supposed to be nowt to do with the quality of equipment or owt like that, but I was seriously pissed off with my camera this month. It cannot handle low light at all. Grrrrr.

I had a great shot entered last month, only got 3 votes, doesn't matter, same people vote for the same people, little bit of a clique, bit like Eurovision !!

There is no clique here m8, you are mistaken

you just have to give your all, and give the masses what they want, i have discovered something that YOU yourself personally think is great others don't agree, which is what gives this competition its heart, I love it.

the crack is good and the folks who comment mean it from the their hearts, and trust me, I belive they mean no harm (none of them), not like the majority of those limelight hogging look at me knee jerk asshole idiots on the main board ;), from which I no longer post and have distanced myself - lol

don't be tarnished and disallusioned.

Last edited:

I'm with Hue on this one. No cliques around here, just honest critique.

I didn't vote for your shot last month as I didn't think it met the theme very well, and I didn't like it, but I vote for the picture, not the poster.

I didn't vote for your shot last month as I didn't think it met the theme very well, and I didn't like it, but I vote for the picture, not the poster.

I said this exact same thing about some of the entries, I thought my pic fulfilled the theme exactly (which imo did), and some entries that got more votes imo did not fulfill the theme as it was mis interpreted.

having said all that this is a fun competition, and I think its designed to make you a better photographer, as well as enjoying looking a stuff other folks have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back