May challenge - Environmental Portraiture - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think a lot of the folks that vote (the non photography ones) will probably just vote for a picture they like without looking to see if it actually meets the theme in question, could be wrong like.

I said this exact same thing about some of the entries, I thought my pic fulfilled the theme exactly (which imo did), and some entries that got more votes imo did not fulfill the theme as it was mis interpreted.

having said all that this is a fun competition, and I think its designed to make you a better photographer, as well as enjoying looking a stuff other folks have done.

I thought your photo of the horses was weak, perhaps if they all had long evening shadows, or shadows of the horses muscles, then yeah great but tbh imo it was chiaroscuro free shot, other than the three hills shadows in the background, it had nothing to do with the theme chiaroscuro*

I actually only think 6 entries meet the theme correctly, others are interpretations of a "light/dark/shade" type theme (including my own) similar to chiaroscuro and I think clyde has a valid point too.

*In photography, chiaroscuro is often effected with the use of "Rembrandt lighting". In more highly-developed photographic processes, this technique may also be termed "ambient/natural lighting", although when done so for the effect, the look is artificial and not generally documentary in nature. W. Eugene Smith, Josef Koudelka, Garry Winogrand, Lothar Wolleh, Annie Leibovitz, Floria Sigismondi and Ralph Gibson may be considered some of the modern masters of chiaroscuro in documentary photography.

i think a lot of the folks that vote (the non photography ones) will probably just vote for a picture they like without looking to see if it actually meets the theme in question, could be wrong like.

There's probably something in that like. Having said that, the winner generally deserves it.

I was starting to worry that I was getting a bit cliquey because I was voting for a couple of posters quite a lot. Then I thought, fuck it, it's because they're the pictures I like the most and no other reason. Everyone on the photo forum is absolutely spot on and just wouldn't do that. It's the most sane part of the SMB.

I'll chuck this one in the mix. A few weeks ago i was asked by a workmate if i would take some pics. He wanted the colour girls from Harthill Loyalist Flute Band photographed for the cover of an upcoming dvd. The colour girls are the ones who lead the band, and carry the banners. A week gone Friday i went with the band on a march to grab some shots, with the comp in mind. I was faced with an evening sun in a clear sky, and just could not get in a position for decent light. My entry has been cropped slightly and lightend a bit.

Oh aye and yes i have pics of the girls, and no, fuck off.

Was just about to post an entry - but aborted it cos a bit concerned about putting someone on the 'net without their permission. Got a few pics that i like of people (with sheep) who are working at a public auction - opinions please. No children anywhere, but a couple of the best ones do show female employees.

This competition's going to run a day or two over.

It's my 50th birthday this week and we're all heading out of town before that for a bit of a shindig.

THe comp will close at the weekend. I'll open next month's comp right now.

Was just about to post an entry - but aborted it cos a bit concerned about putting someone on the 'net without their permission. Got a few pics that i like of people (with sheep) who are working at a public auction - opinions please. No children anywhere, but a couple of the best ones do show female employees.

I'd have thought if it's a public auction and there were no signs up forbidding photography you should be fine. Technically it might be on private property so the normal rules about public places might not apply, but I don't imagine anyone would object even if they did see your entry up here, unless perhaps you were using it for commercial gain, or if it portrays them in some kind of negative way. My (unprofessional) advice: go for it.

Just post it - if anyone objects it can be taken down. Strange coincedence I was at my mates at the weekend hoping to get some shots of him working - he's a shepherd! He had the day off so used a fall back image I took in Scotland at the beginning of the month.

Now Ive just realised I had another couple of days to get something took!!

No idea about rules, but I would suggest posting it in the competition anyway. I am sure their are pictures on TV and in the papers of people (say crowds at matches etc) and permission isn't sought from all the people before publication.

Last edited:
peachbum said:
No idea about rules, but I would suggest posting it in the competition anyway. I am sure their are pictures on TV and in the papers of people (say crowds at matches etc) and permission isn't sought from all the people before publication.

The rule (I believe) is that permission doesn't need to be sought if the crowd is 15 or more.

Well an auction and market is certainly a rich source of material for this category and i could have put a number of entries in - just hope i made a decent choice in the end. Some of the stall holders were interesting subjects as well ;)
Logon or register to see this image

Managed to sneak an entry in under the wire. Haven't had the time to press the shutter on a proper camera this month, so lobbed in a iPhonography effort instead.

Madmackem appears to have screen-capped Alec Guinness in Star Wars. Surely against the rules?!

Madmackem appears to have screen-capped Alec Guinness in Star Wars. Surely against the rules?!

Funny you say that, I made a similar comment to the wife "Look its Obi Wan"

Got to say he is a great character and gives a very good talk. The Wallace Memorial is a great building to visit too, excellent views from the top and a good slog up one of the smallest staircases I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back