Maximum heart rate

I am 40 so my maximum heart rate should be around 180. My resting heart rate is around 72 and I a reasonably fit although maybe a stone and a half overweight.

Daily, outwith normal walking around, I usually jog half an hour, fast walk an hour and go on the exercise bike for half an hour.

I got a Fitbit charge 3 last week and it tracks your heart rate, etc. I noticed that when pushing myself during the jogging and cycling thay my heart rate has got as high as 209.

Google can’t seem to tell me if this is dangerous or not and I wondered what people’s thoughts are on here?

I’m 5’10, overweight at 193lbs. Resting heart rate is 60, max 180.

I’m told your max heart rate should be 220 minus your age.

I would take what the Fitbit tells you with more than a small pinch of salt. I've allegedly been up to the high 180's whilst doing my lunchtime walk (moderately paced) whilst a particularly intense gym session doesn't seem to get me above 150. I think it's useful to track how much time you're active but I wouldn't necessarily trust the values it's giving you. I think @supersesh may be able to offer more insight?

Here’s what we’ve found.

Fitbit’s for overweight people who don’t do much exercise at the START of their journey are accurate enough to get results.

However once you add exercise in the mix it all changes.

They also don’t consider lean muscle into the equation and that changes everything when you’re talking aboit some one with muscle vs fat.

Finally as you diet your metabolism adapts to the lower calorie intake, which can vary depending how harsh you go with it. The fitbit cannot account for that.

All in all they’re okay for a beginner over weight person , walking n day to day life. Anyone else they’re innacurate and you’d be better off with a step counter.

I'm 61. My resting pulse is about 48, it goes about as high as 170 at brief maximal exertion.
When I was young I could go at 183 for a good while.
A more obvious felt change is the pulse deflection point (the pulse rate where you go an aerobic and start to burn carb and produce high lactic). Mine was 163 in my young fit days, I can feel its somewhere below 140 now, probably about 135-7. I tend to stay around that range 80% of the time and just do the odd higher interval session.

Mmax is supposed to be 182 but regularly run at around 190-192 according to my Garmin

Have often wondered the same question

Someone was telling me to build endurance you want to train a long distance in heart rate zone 2 - my max is 180 and staying in zone 2 is practically impossible after a few hundred yards at any pace!

I am 40 so my maximum heart rate should be around 180. My resting heart rate is around 72 and I a reasonably fit although maybe a stone and a half overweight.

Daily, outwith normal walking around, I usually jog half an hour, fast walk an hour and go on the exercise bike for half an hour.

I got a Fitbit charge 3 last week and it tracks your heart rate, etc. I noticed that when pushing myself during the jogging and cycling thay my heart rate has got as high as 209.

Google can’t seem to tell me if this is dangerous or not and I wondered what people’s thoughts are on here?
I was having the same concerns with both fit bit and Garmin showing 180 ( especially using things like arm cycles ) i have just gone back to a polar chest strap today . Was doing HIT gym intervals and recorded 159 max ( enough for a 61 year old). Still had my Garmin on too and it showed 173 max (too much for a 61 year old). It was also still showing 123 in recovery while the polar was showing 65. Wrist monitors cant match a good chest strap

Last edited:
I used a fitbit for a while but it had me burning about 5000 calories a day on work days without any extra excercise so I sacked it off.
I was having the same concerns with both fit bit and Garmin showing 180 ( especially using things like arm cycles ) i have just gone back to a polar chest strap today . Was doing HIT gym intervals and recorded 159 max ( enough for a 61 year old). Still had my Garmin on too and it showed 173 max (too much for a 61 year old). It was also still showing 123 in recovery while the polar was showing 65. Wrist monitors cant match a good chest strap

I suspected this was the case and makes using a fit bit to track activity a waste of time really.

Last edited:
I used a fitbit for a while but it had me burning about 5000 calories a day on work days without any extra excercise so I sacked it off.

I suspected this was the case and makes using a fit bit to track activity a waste of time really.
Alright for steps and steady state stuff like level maintained heart rate on excercise bike or xtrainer but not reactive enough for much else :(

When cycling seriously I would use a garmin HR strap....dug it out and checked when compared to a smart watch and nowhere as accurate to the Garmin chest strap.
During races used to max out about 195 ( generally 185 av for a 25 mile TT) but a nice low resting HR ;)

Back