Mature Student

39.... Your just a kid.... Lucky sod... Go for it mate... Education is a wonderful thing at any age...
Always regretted not staying on when I was young and daft so I just thought fuck it, now or never!
I did that when I was 40..... a long time ago.
gonna stay on and do the extra year for the HND then see how I feel, but I don’t think I’ll do a degree, never say never though.
Enjoying Fresher’s week with scantily clad 18 year olds?
Ow man, I’m married, and they’re all someone’s daughters them!!!....I am mate aye! ;)
I was 49.
what did you do?
Did teacher Training and the missus (no) did software Engineer as "matures"
Son in Law just gone back this Year anarl
did it help you in your career?
I’m in my 30’s studying my charted accountancy, distance learning like. 2 years left :(
It’ll piss in 2 year mate!
I went back to college to mingle with some guitar students and enjoy the environment and learn more guitar, the guy hosting the course asked me to play something so I played some acoustic blues - his jaw dropped and he said you should be hosting this course not me. Although I can play guitars to a high standard I just don't have the teaching ability he had, he was an excellent teacher and we all learned loads from him.
I wish I could play guitar!

It just takes practise the more you play the better you get. It took me 4 years to get good but it was a very enjoyable experience. My advice is if you learn guitar make it a personal experience and try not to do too much online as there is so much shite out there your ears are important and shouldn't be fed mixed up shite from youtube ads etc and poor quality recordings, when you find 'tone' you are onto something. Guitars are nice and cheap these days everyone should own an old clapped out guitar to play blues on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always regretted not staying on when I was young and daft so I just thought fuck it, now or never!

gonna stay on and do the extra year for the HND then see how I feel, but I don’t think I’ll do a degree, never say never though.

Ow man, I’m married, and they’re all someone’s daughters them!!!....I am mate aye! ;)

what did you do?

Access course first, then Social Work degree, then post grad in CBT.

I went back to college to mingle with some guitar students and enjoy the environment and learn more guitar, the guy hosting the course asked me to play something so I played some acoustic blues - his jaw dropped and he said you should be hosting this course not me. Although I can play guitars to a high standard I just don't have the teaching ability he had, he was an excellent teacher and we all learned loads from him.

Begs the question why you chose to go to college?

what did you do?

That took some doing that post. Have a like.

Anyone else started back at college when they’re a bit older? I’m 39 and had my first day back today after 18 year haha. I thought I’d be the oldest but there’s a lad a bit older, I’m looking forward to it. :lol:
Good for you, pal. I think it's great. One of my best friends is a professor and he loves older students because they're more focused and willing to learn.

More bollocks, same every f***ing thread.

I would have loved to have gone back in my late 20s and done the whole halls of residence thing. I remember when I was 18 and we had three lads who were between 23 and 27 and everyone saw them as some kind of gurus who ran the show. They got loads of fanny as well.
More bollocks, same every f***ing thread.
“Played some acoustic blues” ie the one 12 bar riff he learned from a Bert Weedon book.

Last edited:
i graduated last year from uni with a first. absolutely loved it and it flew over. i dont think i was ready when i was younger. i got made redundant, had a few shite agency jobs to keep me ticking over and then thought im gonna go to uni and get a degree and retrain as well. now im doing an MA. its amazing the difference it makes when you're interested in a subject and want to learn it

i graduated last year from uni with a first. absolutely loved it and it flew over. i dont think i was ready when i was younger. i got made redundant, had a few shite agency jobs to keep me ticking over and then thought im gonna go to uni and get a degree and retrain as well. now im doing an MA. its amazing the difference it makes when you're interested in a subject and want to learn it
How old are you?

I was 29 when I started a BSc (hons). Part time evenings only.

It was a ball ache doing a full time job then Uni on a night but the time flew by really.

Anyone else started back at college when they’re a bit older? I’m 39 and had my first day back today after 18 year haha. I thought I’d be the oldest but there’s a lad a bit older, I’m looking forward to it. :lol:
I went back to Uni to do an MSc when I was 32. On the first day it felt like I was stuck in a building with a load of scoolchildren, but like some people on here have said when you are older you probably get much more focused on the subject and just ignore everything else.

Always fancied doing a degree in history but I don't know what I would do with the qualification! At 46 I think I'm a little old to do something like teaching.. after the years of study is be well into my 50s

I went back to Uni to do an MSc when I was 32. On the first day it felt like I was stuck in a building with a load of scoolchildren, but like some people on here have said when you are older you probably get much more focused on the subject and just ignore everything else.
Aye, I’ll defo be putting a lot more effort in this time like.
Always fancied doing a degree in history but I don't know what I would do with the qualification! At 46 I think I'm a little old to do something like teaching.. after the years of study is be well into my 50s
Get it done man mate, you’ll regret it. You offshore? I’m sitting in NHV waiting for my flight :cry:

go for it instead of wishing you did it. there's some pretty good scholarships for teachers as well. my mates wife graduated uni at 44 and she's a teacher now

Last edited:

Back