Mature Student

Glancing through this thread, well done to anyone opting to go back as a mature student.

Due to very personal reasons, I'm going to have to reboot at some stage in the future and this means studying as an older learner. I did the degree thing straight out of school as a lot on here did. But going back as a mature student is something I couldn't imagine. I have it in my head that the student thing (at least undergrad) is something you do as a young'un unless (even when still reasonably young) gone onto postgrad, with the possible exception that work sends you to study on a part time basis.

Two things would really put me off.

1) Being surrounded by 18 to 21 year olds with a different social outlook and cultural context to me.

2) Studying thinking I should at my age be grafting, paying into my pension and how me "going back to school" would seem to other people.

I think I'd have to look at Open University to be honest while doing at least a trivial job. At least I'd be able to look people in the eye and say I was doing extra study while working.

Last edited:
Glancing through this thread, well done to anyone opting to go back as a mature student.

Due to very personal reasons, I'm going to have to reboot at some stage in the future and this means studying as an older learner. I did the degree thing straight out of school as a lot on here did. But going back as a mature student is something I couldn't imagine. I have it in my head that the student thing (at least undergrad) is something you do as a young'un unless (even when still reasonably young) gone onto postgrad, with the possible exception that work sends you to study on a part time basis.

1) Being surrounded by 18 to 21 year olds with a different social outlook and cultural context to me.

2) Studying thinking I should at my age be grafting, paying into my pension and how me "going back to school" would seem to other people.

I think I'd have to look at Open University to be honest while doing at least a trivial job. At least I'd be able to look people in the eye and say I was doing extra study while working.

have a walk around campus, there's loads of mature students. I wouldnt pay attention to the young uns, they do their thing and you've done it, let them get on with it. you're there for you and not what others think

good course hope you arent at shields college
Done my ONC at south Tyneside marine. Doing My HNC at Sunderland College Washington campus. Seems a canny little college so far.

My mate done a distance learning HNC and he said he struggled, not being able to talk one on one with tutors etc .

Last edited:
Done my ONC at south Tyneside marine. Doing My HNC at Sunderland College Washington campus. Seems a canny little college so far.

My mate done a distance learning HNC and he said he struggled, not being able to talk one on one with tutors etc .

theres that and also being on campus around other people working towards the same thing, you get stuff done in a positive atmosphere.

Aye, I’ll defo be putting a lot more effort in this time like.

Get it done man mate, you’ll regret it. You offshore? I’m sitting in NHV waiting for my flight :cry:
Not anymore mate I now work for a engineering company so it's massively different! I miss the time off tho!
go for it instead of wishing you did it. there's some pretty good scholarships for teachers as well. my mates wife graduated uni at 44 and she's a teacher now
At 46 I think I'm just a little to old to do history and then teaching.. not that I've actually looked into timescale tho. And could I put up with the teenagers hahaha

Last edited:
Anyone else started back at college when they’re a bit older? I’m 39 and had my first day back today after 18 year haha. I thought I’d be the oldest but there’s a lad a bit older, I’m looking forward to it. :lol:

Well done and good luck. You've started so make sure you finish it.

Lot of people go back for second/third degrees - just like learning different subjects I suppose or maybe to improve the skills they already have. Just go for it - kids are okay - honest.

Back