Matt Chipchase - Young Rebel Set - RIP

There’ll be some on here remember Young Rebel Set, from Stockton from about 10 years ago. They’ve just reformed & planned a gig in Boro on the 13th. Me & owa lass have tickets. They’ve just posted on their Facebook that Matt, the singer & songwriter has passed away. I’m guessing mid 30s. Tragic news.

There’ll be some on here remember Young Rebel Set, from Stockton from about 10 years ago. They’ve just reformed & planned a gig in Boro on the 13th. Me & owa lass have tickets. They’ve just posted on their Facebook that Matt, the singer & songwriter has passed away. I’m guessing mid 30s. Tragic news.

Mods, edit the title please, his surname was Chipchase.

Last edited:

My son's just messaged me about this.

Very sad news.

Saw them a couple of times and they were a very good live band with some very strong, well written tunes. He was clearly a very talented bloke.

RIP Matt

It’s absolutely horrendous news. He was a great lad, always had time for chat about music and the stories behind his lyrics on nights out. It was only a couple of weeks ago I seen him out in town with the rest of the lads from the band.
He was very very talented and was at the top of the Teesside music scene for over a decade, never really getting the recognition I and many others felt he deserved.
His lyrics have always rang true to me and I’ll always be grateful for them. Rest in Peace Matty, the world has lost one of the good guys.

It’s absolutely horrendous news. He was a great lad, always had time for chat about music and the stories behind his lyrics on nights out. It was only a couple of weeks ago I seen him out in town with the rest of the lads from the band.
He was very very talented and was at the top of the Teesside music scene for over a decade, never really getting the recognition I and many others felt he deserved.
His lyrics have always rang true to me and I’ll always be grateful for them. Rest in Peace Matty, the world has lost one of the good guys.
Feel free to not respond, but any idea what happened?

Back