Maths tutor

Not criticising the fella at all mind. I did a load of teaching Chemistry undergrads. Was only during term time but an extra 50-100 quid a week pays for the groceries.

But in terms of the income - my BBSRC stipend was about 14k a year and I lived in Norwich, which is an expensive place to live these days. I genuinely never felt under pressure financially at all.

People doing PhDs simply don’t have the same outgoings as people not doing them. I seem to spunk money left right and centre these days because I have so much more time :lol:
Dunno, I don't ask what he spends it on although I suppose people have differing outgoings, if nowt else I suppose the dosh he gets off me insures and taxes his car for the year all for minimal effort

We use a Chinese fella from the uni doing his phd, maybe get in touch with the uni see if they know of any students wanting to make a few bob while studying, costs us about 25 quid an hour but this is the midlands, maybe cheaper up north

Funny enough, I used to teach 2 chinese kids O level maths when I was in sixth form (early 80's). Used to get a tenna an hour which kept me in Hansa.

There’s the places in Sainsbury’s.

My niece is in second year comp now and has been using them for a few years.

She’s wasn’t behind as such but is now above average and really enjoys the courses.

They also teach you a lot practical stuff too such as financial management, presentation skills etc.

Sainsbury’s as in on Silksworth Lane?

Do you have a link as my eldest is far cleverer than I when I was his age, but he doesn’t trust a word I say, so some off piste education would go a long way.

Another option for the op maybe Kumon, I know they run centres nationwide.
We looked at them but their times slots didn't work for the little un. Whether they run them in Sunderland I dunno but worth a gander

What’s the school doing about this? I am sure that you have already spoken to them.
Yes. Not a lot the school can do to be fair given class sizes are 30+. They supported the idea of getting a tutor. She does ok and is probably in the mid to upper quartile of her class. She struggles with homework sometimes though and I would like to improve her confidence / ability before going into comp.

Yes. Not a lot the school can do to be fair given class sizes are 30+. They supported the idea of getting a tutor. She does ok and is probably in the mid to upper quartile of her class. She struggles with homework sometimes though and I would like to improve her confidence / ability before going into comp.

Would the school be able to recommend a tutor to you, or perhaps another teacher at the school to become her tutor. I am sure that the school will have after school clubs, is there a homework one, or, if there isn’t, could you suggest they start one. She won’t be the only one who needs her confidence building.

Looking for a tutor for my daughter who is in last year of juniors. Does anyone have any recommendations? Tried a website called tutor Hunt but you have to buy tutors contact details for 24quid which seems utterly bizarre

You might want to ask friends and family if there's any graduates wanting to earn some cash helping out, my Daughter did a bit teaching a couple of local kids Maths, the bits they struggled with anyway.

You might want to ask friends and family if there's any graduates wanting to earn some cash helping out, my Daughter did a bit teaching a couple of local kids Maths, the bits they struggled with anyway.
Just because someone is a graduate does not mean that they can teach and instil confidence. Teachers are trained professionals.
I would also advise caution because of safeguarding.

Just because someone is a graduate does not mean that they can teach and instil confidence. Teachers are trained professionals.
I would also advise caution because of safeguarding.
Knowing your subject matter and being able to successfully teach it, are two different things. Teaching is whole new thing, that measures and ensures learning happens. You can talk all you like about a subject you know, but to make sure someone learns the subject, is a skill to be learned and acquired from experienced teachers and experience of teaching.

So you agree, a graduate could provide a service to a Junior school child struggling with Maths then, as apposed to you're previous post ?
No, a graduate will not know anything about National Curiculum, school policies, pedagogy or be police checked. I did say that the system that puts 30 plus kids into a class is the cause, as the OP said. The OP is asking for help, I am trying to do that, not score points.

No, a graduate will not know anything about National Curiculum, school policies, pedagogy or be police checked. I did say that the system that puts 30 plus kids into a class is the cause, as the OP said. The OP is asking for help, I am trying to do that, not score points.

Scoring points is exactly what you're trying to do, I provided an example of when help was needed and provided, all you want to do it bang the drum for underperforming teachers

Back