Maths tutor

Rueben Agboula

Midfield
Looking for a tutor for my daughter who is in last year of juniors. Does anyone have any recommendations? Tried a website called tutor Hunt but you have to buy tutors contact details for 24quid which seems utterly bizarre

We use a Chinese fella from the uni doing his phd, maybe get in touch with the uni see if they know of any students wanting to make a few bob while studying, costs us about 25 quid an hour but this is the midlands, maybe cheaper up north

We use a Chinese fella from the uni doing his phd, maybe get in touch with the uni see if they know of any students wanting to make a few bob while studying, costs us about 25 quid an hour but this is the midlands, maybe cheaper up north

Is that through the Uni specifically?

I could certainly teach undergrads for course specific stuff during mine (at the same rate per hour) but if I wanted to go and teach someone Biology or Chemistry for their A Levels that would be off my own bat.

There’s the places in Sainsbury’s.

My niece is in second year comp now and has been using them for a few years.

She’s wasn’t behind as such but is now above average and really enjoys the courses.

They also teach you a lot practical stuff too such as financial management, presentation skills etc.

Is that through the Uni specifically?

I could certainly teach undergrads for course specific stuff during mine (at the same rate per hour) but if I wanted to go and teach someone Biology or Chemistry for their A Levels that would be off my own bat.
Not uni ran, got his name off a lecturer mate, the lads doing his phd at lboro, so a few extra quid in his pockets isn't a bad thing.
But I'd have thought lots of unis will offer to put people in contact with students, although obviously make sure they've had the criminal checks etc.
She's only year ten so she uses the lad to go over work and into greater subject depth rather than just brushing over areas as seems to be the case at her school where they seem more bothered about results than actually having them understand it fully.
Does an hour a week and a couple of hours a week during the holidays so doesn't cost much in the grand scheme of things

Not uni ran, got his name off a lecturer mate, the lads doing his phd at lboro, so a few extra quid in his pockets isn't a bad thing.
But I'd have thought lots of unis will offer to put people in contact with students, although obviously make sure they've had the criminal checks etc.
She's only year ten so she uses the lad to go over work and into greater subject depth rather than just brushing over areas as seems to be the case at her school where they seem more bothered about results than actually having them understand it fully

I’d be surprised - most are paid a decent amount anyway for someone who doesn’t (or shouldn’t) have a great deal of spare time and doesn’t have to pay tax (PhD stipends tend to be 12-16k a year, with most being about 13.5k). With the expectation that they won’t need to pick up any work on the side except teaching the university’s undergrads/masters students.

There’s also rules around doing work outside your PhD. Although obviously down to individual uni regulations and their enforcement of those. So I’d be surprised if universities push their PhD students into tutoring work.

I’d be surprised - most are paid a decent amount anyway for someone who doesn’t (or shouldn’t) have a great deal of spare time and doesn’t have to pay tax (PhD stipends tend to be 12-16k a year, with most being about 13.5k). With the expectation that they won’t need to pick up any work on the side except teaching the university’s undergrads/masters students.

There’s also rules around doing work outside your PhD. Although obviously down to individual uni regulations and their enforcement of those. So I’d be surprised if universities push their PhD students into tutoring work.
It's not the cheapest place to live round here, and I'd think for kids of year 10etc, even a decent undergrad could offer decent support. As for mine I got him through a mate and if he wants to up his income I'm not going to complain, and 16k a year is a pittance to live on like

It's not the cheapest place to live round here, and I'd think for kids of year 10etc, even a decent undergrad could offer decent support. As for mine I got him through a mate and if he wants to up his income I'm not going to complain, and 16k a year is a pittance to live on like

Not criticising the fella at all mind. I did a load of teaching Chemistry undergrads. Was only during term time but an extra 50-100 quid a week pays for the groceries.

But in terms of the income - my BBSRC stipend was about 14k a year and I lived in Norwich, which is an expensive place to live these days. I genuinely never felt under pressure financially at all.

People doing PhDs simply don’t have the same outgoings as people not doing them. I seem to spunk money left right and centre these days because I have so much more time :lol:

Back