Material goods

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDGE

Striker
Is there anything you need/want?

Just clearing out my Da's house.Can't believe how much crap he's got.

Nowt I really feel as if I actually want.Got everything.Am I the only one?

Nah. I used to be all about material goods and possessions but nowadays I'm happy to just have a TV on a night and night food to eat.

Same really. There's nowt I need or realistically want.

Might stick some alloys on the car or get a CarPlay unit but each of those would set be back about £400 and I'm looking at moving house soon so will need the money for some furniture. Mostly cheap second hand tat like.

There are loads of things I would want if I had the dosh, mainly improving on the things I have already (car, bike, guitar, stereo, house, etc etc) but I don't need any of them and in truth they wouldn't improve my life much.

There's loads of things I'd like but I make do with what I have. I'm more concerned about making sure my bairn has everything he wants as he's priority number 1. I'm not talking frivolous shit either, just a new bed, mattress, carpet and wardrobes and for my bedroom to be decorated nicely :D.

Yes - I had the experience of clearing out my mother's house recently. Colossal amount of stuff to hoy in the skip. It makes you think how much of your own shit would be considered worth keeping by someone else if they had to go through your stuff :)

Earlier this week near where I live police had to arrange a controlled explosion in a field cos people clearing out a house after a death in the family discovered "a quantity of historic ammunition in a garage".

Example:

When my brother in law cleared out his Dads garage, years ago, after he'd popped his clogs, he discovered LOADs of crap. Amongst it was a collection of about 20 plastic bins stacked in a corner. His Da' had obtained them as a job lot somewhere. He gave them to MY Dad. The bins had been stacked for so long that they'd become stuck together. Dad couldn't prize them all apart. So he cut a hole in the bottom of some, attached weights to the rim of the ones on top it and hung them all on a high washing line in the garage to let gravity eventually take its course. Which, he told me 6 months later, it did.

When we cleared the garage after the Aged P had popped his clogs about 4 years ago we rediscovered these 20 or so plastic bins stacked in the corner. Unused. Some of them had holes in the bottom and some had holes around the rim where he'd attached weights. They were all stuck together. We couldn't prize them apart.

I did consider reattaching them to the washing line to let gravity take it's course; I am, after all, my fathers' son. But I didn't. We took them to a tip.

My fantasy is that some old bloke rescued them and tied them to a washing line with weights attached to pull them apart with gravity. he would then, obviously, stack them in a corner of his garage.

Example:

When my brother in law cleared out his Dads garage, years ago, after he'd popped his clogs, he discovered LOADs of crap. Amongst it was a collection of about 20 plastic bins stacked in a corner. His Da' had obtained them as a job lot somewhere. He gave them to MY Dad. The bins had been stacked for so long that they'd become stuck together. Dad couldn't prize them all apart. So he cut a hole in the bottom of some, attached weights to the rim of the ones on top it and hung them all on a high washing line in the garage to let gravity eventually take its course. Which, he told me 6 months later, it did.

When we cleared the garage after the Aged P had popped his clogs about 4 years ago we rediscovered these 20 or so plastic bins stacked in the corner. Unused. Some of them had holes in the bottom and some had holes around the rim where he'd attached weights. They were all stuck together. We couldn't prize them apart.

I did consider reattaching them to the washing line to let gravity take it's course; I am, after all, my fathers' son. But I didn't. We took them to a tip.

My fantasy is that some old bloke rescued them and tied them to a washing line with weights attached to pull them apart with gravity. he would then, obviously, stack them in a corner of his garage.
What a class story mate :D

Example:

You threw away your family heirloom???

I have a rule. If it isn't touched for a year it's out unless it's ski gear or camping shit or some such. Saves collecting loads of shit.

The only material good I want is a nice watch. When I eventually buy it I'll probably think what a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back