Massive fire in London

Not surprised. The bloke's been invisible over the last 3 weeks.
That's too bad he seemed to be such a carring gent as well. I would imagine that he has been closely advised by by one of "our learned friends " from day one. After all one doesn't want to put one's foot in it seeing as how it's such a messy business. It's a bit like when you have a prang in your motor - it would be silly to say or do anything that might imply personal responsibility.

That's too bad he seemed to be such a carring gent as well. I would imagine that he has been closely advised by by one of "our learned friends " from day one. After all one doesn't want to put one's foot in it seeing as how it's such a messy business. It's a bit like when you have a prang in your motor - it would be silly to say or do anything that might imply personal responsibility.

Not sure if it's an urban myth but i heard Canada had to enact legislation so that people saying sorry after a minor car bump weren't seen as admitting liability and were just being polite

This. I understand there is a culture in public office to step down when mistakes have been made, but I'd like to see people have the tenacity to actually see this through to the end. Take control of the problem, do whatever needs to be done, then resign.
Agree. This leaves the way open for whoever takes on the poison chalice to deny any culpability, and prevent the full facts from coming to light.

Agree. This leaves the way open for whoever takes on the poison chalice to deny any culpability, and prevent the full facts from coming to light.

A bit like Cameron in 2015 boasting about ripping up the albatross around businesses neck - health and safety. Where's that nitwit now that we could do with his professional insight into health and safety.

It used to be that resignation was seen as the honourable way of dealing with things. The Tory party (with one or two honourable exceptions) destroyed that tradition.

Yeah, like if the party leader loses an election, by say, 50 seats they would resign and make way for someone more palatable for the party and supporters.

This. I understand there is a culture in public office to step down when mistakes have been made, but I'd like to see people have the tenacity to actually see this through to the end. Take control of the problem, do whatever needs to be done, then resign.

And yet, when May did exactly that she has been bitched at from every corner of the land. There's no pleasing folk is there?

There's a difference between loosing an election and an atrocity where scores have died.

May didn't 'lose' the election. She is still PM. Don't you mean Corbyn who actually did lose the election?

I'm not convinced that atrocity is the right word to use in this situation to be honest. Tragic accident might be closer to the mark.

I had to get off at Latimer Road tube station today, I've been working at a client just down the road from it. Whatever pictures you've seen on TV doesn't do the devastation justice, it's utterly heartbreaking.

Just below the tower block there's a children's play park littered with debris, as you leave the tube station there's a load of missing person/death notifications posted on the walls. Then as you walk down the road from the station some of the surrounding buildings have scaffolding up to clear falling debris from their roofs. I'm sure it was my mind playing tricks on me but there seemed to still be a smell of burning in the air.

What was disappointing were the amount of people walking past taking pictures of the building, the locals have gone through enough, the last thing they want to see is a bunch of people getting their social media pictures of where their community was ripped apart.

May didn't 'lose' the election. She is still PM. Don't you mean Corbyn who actually did lose the election?

I'm not convinced that atrocity is the right word to use in this situation to be honest. Tragic accident might be closer to the mark.

Okay, pedant. She lost 13 seats.

If gross negligence is proven, then I'd say its more than a tragic accident, maybe not an atrocity.

I didn't introduce the analogy between an employee leaving his job and elections. Stop trying to score points, people have died.

Eveeybody lost.

For someone who votes for the north east party, you don't half spend sone time defending the tory party.

Back