Masks and exercise

Because we are told the end is 3 months away yet the measures keep getting stepped up - making kids wear a mask in class, forms if you want to leave the country, now even talk of masks being worn when exercising.

Conveniently ignoring that those kids of which you speak are now back in school.

Go back to normal too quickly, the virus spreads out of control again and we are back to square one. Hope this helps.
If we did not have an effective vaccine I would agree . If the virus does spread amongst the non vaccinated population then it will be spreading amongst those deemed to be at such a low risk that the NHS would not be at risk and deaths would practically at zero.

Absolutely nothing would surprise me now.
We have months left of restrictions despite plummeting hospitalisations and a massively successful vaccine roll out.
What is Boris doing to us all ?
Whatever happened to driven by data not dates ?
Are the authorities prolonging the lockdown to condition the country to accept future lockdowns as the norm ?
I give up. I just find it very difficult to accept that the objective of this very long lockdown, stretching into summer , remains unchanged from the original intention namely that of protecting the NHS and saving lives.

I know there's the vaccine but millions of children and adults have just gone back to school. It's probably worth seeing what effect that has first.

We have months left of restrictions despite plummeting hospitalisations and a massively successful vaccine roll out.
Are the authorities prolonging the lockdown to condition the country to accept future lockdowns as the norm ?
I give up. I just find it very difficult to accept that the objective of this very long lockdown, stretching into summer , remains unchanged from the original intention namely that of protecting the NHS and saving lives.

The only reason we are seeing plummeting deaths and cases is because of measures like lockdown and vaccines ... and you want to take them away?

What are you saying? We are not opening enough quick enough because of the data or we are opening up too quick against what the data suggests?

In early October, cases hit 10k per day, SAGE & Labour called for a lockdown, Boris said no, mocked Labour and cases sky rocketed. Just 10 days before this plea from both, cases were at about the 5k mark and growing quickly. Despite the half arsed lockdown and a lot of the country in tier 4, with Christmas gatherings cancelled, cases went from 5k on the 22nd September to 24k on the 15th November, to 59k on the 9th January. While we have dropped massively since then, cases are still pretty high and at a number that was getting people twitchy in September.

A study of only 12 people said it made on average a 10% drop in oxygen levels.

They do say more research is needed, that is clearly not the be all and end all, but the figure does suggest that some of the dozen people had more than 10% reduction in oxygen levels. That feels a bit worrying to me.

I can't say I fancy it and would want more research done before it ever came to force. But, one key thing about exercising is that you need to take on plenty of water.

One of the key bits is "Conclusions Protection masks are associated with significant but modest worsening of spirometry and cardiorespiratory parameters at rest and peak exercise. The effect is driven by a ventilation reduction due to an increased airflow resistance. However, since exercise ventilatory limitation is far from being reached, their use is safe even during maximal exercise, with a slight reduction in performance."

They say a significant worsening of respiration, but within safety limits. What they don't say is if they explored the benefits of masks while also being able to take on fluids. Imagine running on a treadmill, your oxygen levels are lower than normal, you need a drink and pull down your mask. Your first natural reaction is to take in some big gulps of clear air. You then take some mouthfuls of drink while running and breathing. That puts more moisture in the air as you exhale and you exhale with more force. Is this better or worse than not wearing a mask at all?
It's a bit like having a fridge in a room with the door open. Does it make it colder or warmer?

I think wearing a mask while doing aerobic exercise indoors or out is unnecessary and counterproductive. Interestingly one of the GB athletes won a medal competing in a mask at the weekend in the 60m hurdles.

Historically the lifespan of pandemics is 2 to 3 years. Then things go back to normal.
Can history give me a guarantee on that? No back to normal because that means more world trade, pollution, deforestation, pushing species together to make new viruses.

Back to normal lol.
You sounding like a broken record now 😬
I think he's just saying what most of us know, but don't want to admit.
Apart from the Denmark experiment, which we're not allowed to consider, there is no accurate data on the efficiency of masks. Why people wear them in an empty street is beyond me.

No people....no virus! It doesn't float about in the air.

Last edited:
Can history give me a guarantee on that? No back to normal because that means more world trade, pollution, deforestation, pushing species together to make new viruses.

Back to normal lol.

I think he's just saying what most of us know, but don't want to admit.
Apart from the Denmark experiment, which we're not allowed to consider, there is no accurate data on the efficiency of masks. Why people wear them in an empty street is beyond me.

No people....no virus! It doesn't float about in the air.
No pasanada.

Logon or register to see this image

What is this Danish experiment you speak of ?

No pasanada.

Logon or register to see this image

What is this Danish experiment you speak of ?
A pretty simple one. One group of people wore masks, another group didn't.

With masks: 1.8% were infected.
Withought masks: 2.1% were infected.

It's thought the touching of masks is the big problem, especially after dipping into a Covid wharehouse (supermarket freezers)

Not my research.

What are you saying? We are not opening enough quick enough because of the data or we are opening up too quick against what the data suggests?

In early October, cases hit 10k per day, SAGE & Labour called for a lockdown, Boris said no, mocked Labour and cases sky rocketed. Just 10 days before this plea from both, cases were at about the 5k mark and growing quickly. Despite the half arsed lockdown and a lot of the country in tier 4, with Christmas gatherings cancelled, cases went from 5k on the 22nd September to 24k on the 15th November, to 59k on the 9th January. While we have dropped massively since then, cases are still pretty high and at a number that was getting people twitchy in September.
We have a vaccine which is surely a game changer.
The only reason we are seeing plummeting deaths and cases is because of measures like lockdown and vaccines ... and you want to take them away?
I am not saying that.
Vaccinations are reducing deaths. This renders the lockdown increasingly obsolete.

The vaccinations are rendering the lockdown obsolete
I know there's the vaccine but millions of children and adults have just gone back to school. It's probably worth seeing what effect that has first.
I can see your logic but surely within a few weeks we will have an idea and can potentially open up earlier.

Last edited:
The stats make you right...we have an out slope, everyone else has an out curve. France's curve has flattened which keeps a trickle feed of cases and deaths going. Maybe because of their harsh lockdowns and curfews they have little or no herd immunity.

I am not saying that.
Vaccinations are reducing deaths. This renders the lockdown increasingly obsolete.

I can see your logic but surely within a few weeks we will have an idea and can potentially open up earlier.
You are right, the vaccine will be the game changer it is the end goal, but we are not there yet.

The depending on the vaccine used, one dose gives greater protection but it is still a case that about 1 in 4 can develop severe symptoms. We have a third of the population protected, but two thirds not. We have 1/66 of the population fully protected.

I can see the frustration of many, but opening up now is too early. Such calls remind me of a few days after our academy opened and you suddenly had people on here lamenting the waste of money because “where are all these young world class players?”.

Not long to go now, but it is still dangerous to throw caution to the wind.

...from 5k on the 22nd September to 24k on the 15th November, to 59k on the 9th January. While we have dropped massively since then, cases are still pretty high and at a number that was getting people twitchy in September.
There were a whole load more people at risk of getting severely affected in September, around 21million more.

Now if people catch it they are either vaccinated or low risk. A very different scenario. Although I'm not a fan of lockdown, there are cons as well as pros, I am happy enough ( I guess) with opening up slowly till May or June.

The answer is simple. Ban gyms from ever opening again.
I suppose you are then guilty of making your body a good place for the virus to thrive and mutate...

By far the biggest percentage of deaths are over 80 a short head second are severle obese unfit people who sit all day eating pies while waiting on a hospital appointment to have their lower leg amputated because of diabetes.
Why do you still see posters in a GP surgery about over prescribing of antibiotics? and the subsequent dangers antibacterial resistance?, So why should healthy younger people be made to have a vaccine?

By far the biggest percent of deaths from covid are people who are over 80 and younger people make up less than 2 percent. To roll out a programme of trying to vaccinate everyone is madness imo.
I totally agree with kerbing the spread with lockdown restrictions... but there still is a major role for herd immunity

Last edited:

Back