Mary Poppins

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are worth whatever someone wants to pay them. If the BBC didn't pay Shearer 450K someone else would.

I'm not privy to what Sky pay the likes of Henry, Redknapp, Neville and Carragher but I bet it's in the region of what Shearer gets.

They are all a relatable face to the casual and hardcore viewer for an industry that generates millions.
They shouldn't pay anyone that much ffs. :lol: it's over the top

My point was that Sky would happily snap Shearer up if he was available if BBC's offer wasn't in parity with what they offer.

BBC pay whatever market forces dictate and other broadcasters would happily snap up their higher paid staff if they become available.

That is not right. For years the BBC have been using the license funds as a way to buy in talent by brute force and completely upset the market values. This is why the likes of Jonathan Ross were earning millions a year. They operate without any actual market realities because they are just handed giant pots full of cash, they don't need to think about the return they get on any expenditure. Trying to have a conversation with a BBC producer is like talking to a brainwashed drone. They just can not understand that chucking money at things is not a great idea, and all they can say is "But we are better than commercial TV because there are no adverts."

They did the exact same with the radio commentary. Until the early 2000's football radio commentary rights were completely worthless. Then Talksport went in to try and buy the rights for a few games and the BBC turned up and bidding an insane amount to grab everything. Talksport rebelled by withdrawing from the bidding and doing 'unofficial match commentary' for the next few seasons with a hilarious electronically generated crowd noise in the background.

With non-sports presenters in general, nearly everyone that ends up at the BBC had the same agent, Addison Cresswell. He died a few years ago but his agency still exists. He would usually start them at Channel 4 (or on BBC Radio 1), and then the BBC would come and 'poach' them once their profile had been built up. Some would be dropped straight in on the BBC, particularly in left leaning gameshows, Josh Widdecombe being a good example (the bloke was on a few gameshows and then somehow got his terrible series commissioned that even he did not seem to understand how he was in it). Have a look at the roster on the agency's site ( http://offthekerb.co.uk/ ). Pretty much every single comedian the BBC use in all of their productions is on their books, and they are all of pretty much the same sort of outlook and political stance. It is bloody outrageous that they get away with it.

Whether he's worth it or not I don't know, but tin hat on I think Lineker is a pretty good main presenter in the Des Lynam mode. Shearer I can take or leave, offers nothing insightful at all ('balls in the box'). Danny Murphy is better, he can read a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back