Marty tweet- disappointing news on the way

This sounds like similar situations to the likes of Onions, Mustard, etc - on good money, club doesn’t want to give multi year contracts out and forces them to look elsewhere for financial security in the later years of their careers. Durham are an absolute shower of shit in looking after club legends

This sounds like similar situations to the likes of Onions, Mustard, etc - on good money, club doesn’t want to give multi year contracts out and forces them to look elsewhere for financial security in the later years of their careers. Durham are an absolute shower of shit in looking after club legends
Yet he says this was for personal reasons and not cricket........ 🤷‍♂️

No surprises there. His deal was up and we couldn't compete with what other clubs were able to offer him. Carbon copy of Onions.

'Personal circumstances' is just club spin to describe his need to look after his financial situation for his family. They come out with a variation of the same crack every time a decent player left the club.
Yet he says this was for personal reasons and not cricket........ 🤷‍♂️
Wake up, man.

1. Durham offers you 1 year contract at 75% of your current wages, with guarantee of first team cricket
2. Warwickshire offers you a 2 year contract at 100% of your current wages, with the option of a 1 year extension, with no guarantee of first team cricket

If you accept #2 for the money, because you need to pay for your family, divorce etc, that isn't a cricketing but a personal reason.

Last edited:
Wake up, man.

1. Durham offers you 1 year contract at 75% of your current wages, with guarantee of first team cricket
2. Warwickshire offers you a 2 year contract at 100% of your current wages, with the option of a 1 year extension, with no guarantee of first team cricket

If you accept #2 for the money, because you need to pay for your family, divorce etc, that isn't a cricketing but a personal reason.
Sorry I thought signing a contract to play cricket would ordinarily be called a "cricket reason"

No surprises there. His deal was up and we couldn't compete with what other clubs were able to offer him. Carbon copy of Onions.

'Personal circumstances' is just club spin to describe his need to look after his financial situation for his family. They come out with a variation of the same crack every time a decent player left the club.

Wake up, man.

He had a year left on his current deal and durham agreed to let him out of it early

I'm not sure about Rushys, but it's very common to sign a 2+1 (as Rushy has done at Warks). Which means the player can decide to take on the third year should they wish. I know Dickson had this and decided against the third year.

These contracts are generally renewed at the two year mark. Rushy's previous contract ran from 2018 and was renewed in 2020.

There was a whole load of them at this point at the end of this season: Rushworth, Dickson, Salisbury, Coughlin, Potts, Carse etc. The young players renewed, Salisbury and the over 30's allowed to leave. Eckersley arrived in 2019, seems to have been on a three year contract or served such a 2+1 and wasn't renewed.

At the start of this season, when Oli Gibson was getting carted all over Hove, instead of picking Salisbury, I thought there was a rabbit away. The club is being repurposed as a development club for England bowlers.
it was mentioned in some of the stories ran. possibly durhamccc or rushies, i forget. that does say 2 at least so maybe a player/club option tagged on the end
Any more tangible sauces?

Last edited:
I'm not sure about Rushys, but it's very common to sign a 2+1 (as Rushy has done at Warks). Which means the player can decide to take on the third year should they wish. I know Dickson had this and decided against the third year.
Be interesting to see if it was the fact that Durham say only offered a 1 year deal or if it was to move away. Because I’m sure as hell imagine if would be harder to live several hours away from you son and daughter & something I personally wouldn’t be able to do if I was in his position

I spoke to Chris’ dad this year around the ground and he signed another two year deal at the end of 2021 just wasn’t announced by the club. He 100% had another year left and Durham have let him leave for personal reasons.

The bloke is going through a divorce. He tweeted a couple of weeks ago asking for family lawyers. He wants out of the county away from it all. Not everything is that deep unless you’re a serial moaner.

I spoke to Chris’ dad this year around the ground and he signed another two year deal at the end of 2021 just wasn’t announced by the club. He 100% had another year left and Durham have let him leave for personal reasons.

The bloke is going through a divorce. He tweeted a couple of weeks ago asking for family lawyers. He wants out of the county away from it all. Not everything is that deep unless you’re a serial moaner.
Lovely fella he is. I'm imagining he won't uproot (obviously just guesswork) wonder if he's ever missed a rushy game. Was properly part of the furniture even at away games.

You have absolutely no evidence this is the case here.

Be a massive miss sadly we have never recovered after the ECB dropped us into league. Every season since the quality of the squad has gone every decision now seems to be about keeping the budget as low as possible very sad times for the country.

I feel we are in real danger of be cast adrift at the bottom end of division 2 for a while.

Be a massive miss sadly we have never recovered after the ECB dropped us into league. Every season since the quality of the squad has gone every decision now seems to be about keeping the budget as low as possible very sad times for the country.

I feel we are in real danger of be cast adrift at the bottom end of division 2 for a while.
Rushy will be a huge miss but totally understand this decision. As for Durham I'm absolutely petrified. I've got no faith in those running the club & the budget is clearly as you point out. Going to be a tough few years ahead, it won't be pretty

Nice one, cheers for posting.

Does nowt to change my opinion however that whilst we'll probably never know it's entirely plausible that Durham didn't do enough to make him want to stay.
Classic smb this mind. :lol:

Wake up, man.

As is this. :cool:

Last edited:

We’re becoming just another Leicestershire or Sussex unfortunately. Although at least those two counties have a go in the T20.

Welcome to the board, you might not enjoy it like. :D

Back