Mars

Logon or register to see this image

That lunar shot is made from 9 different captures stitched together as the moon is too big to fit in the scope in one go.

Checking out stellarium, mars is not going to be in a good position for imaging until 2:30am. I'm probably not going to do that after all!
greats images those. Thanks

One of our neighbours got a cracking pic of the parakeet

Framed it, beautiful thing it is. Though it's plumage is more vivid now then when the pic was took

That lunar shot is made from 9 different captures stitched together as the moon is too big to fit in the scope in one go.

Checking out stellarium, mars is not going to be in a good position for imaging until 2:30am. I'm probably not going to do that after all!
Cracking picture of the moon that, is that a stitching error or have you captured the first image of Space Nessy (on the right in the middle)? :lol:

Depends, unless you have a good eq mount with spot on tracking, the best way is to use a webcam and some kind of stacking software. (Registax?).
I have a 12" dob upstairs but it's too big and heavy to lug down just for Mars. A new supernova would tempt me though.

Wow a 12 incher. I've got an 8 inch one..and thats good for planets. Seen the red spot on Jupiter a few years back..was class.

That is an amazing picture of Jupiter from what I am assuming is a high quality telescope at home?

Wow a 12 incher. I've got an 8 inch one..and thats good for planets. Seen the red spot on Jupiter a few years back..was class.
It's a flextube fitted with an argo navis push to system. I bought an eq platform for it which has never been used. Absolute class on planets but the first time I viewed M51 with it, I was almost in tears.

Apparently Mars has severe flatulence.
In the Summer months it releases loads of methane. On earth methane is produced by volcanos but the majority is produced by cow farts, hence the Martians are already here. We call them cattle.

Cracking picture of the moon that, is that a stitching error or have you captured the first image of Space Nessy (on the right in the middle)? :lol:

I'm not sure where you mean, but there are a couple of errors in there. I found that unless you have the camera perfectly level (difficult as it is round) then each frame is just of skew by a couple of degrees. I had to rotate them slightly and could not get them spot on.

I'm not sure where you mean, but there are a couple of errors in there. I found that unless you have the camera perfectly level (difficult as it is round) then each frame is just of skew by a couple of degrees. I had to rotate them slightly and could not get them spot on.
Have you tried registax? I haven't myself but it is supposed to auto line up the frames.

That is an amazing picture of Jupiter from what I am assuming is a high quality telescope at home?

Not that high quality and not that big:
NexStar 90SLT Computerized Telescope | Celestron - Telescopes, Telescope Accessories, Outdoor and Scientific Products

The camera is a decent one though:
ZWO ASI120MC Colour 1/3" CMOS USB2.0 Camera with Autoguider Port (UK Delivery) - Modern Astronomy

What you do is take a short video of something then load it into astroimaging software. It pulls apart the frames, selects the crispest features from each frame then puts them back together using only the best bits. As the camera is more sensitive than the eye too, it gives a much better image than you can see through it.

Have you tried registax? I haven't myself but it is supposed to auto line up the frames.

I think that one was registax. Either that or autostakert. I took 9 videos and each frame was processed in to give 9 crisp images, but used gonk to put them together in a mosaic. I'm not aware of anything that can auto-mosaic them.

Stiil, a good image for an alt az mount :D
The guys using the eq 6 and 7 mounts are producing some amazing stuff although I've seen some excellent images from those big American tracking dobs

It's a flextube fitted with an argo navis push to system. I bought an eq platform for it which has never been used. Absolute class on planets but the first time I viewed M51 with it, I was almost in tears.

Reckon I could see that with mine? Sky isnt great in my back garden like with a street lamp overlooking.

Back