Marquis

He’s scored too many goals to be considered shit like. He didn’t impress me very much in the time I saw him play but that was limited to games against us or in the playoffs.

I’d not be arsed if we missed out on him but also wouldn’t be against getting him on board.

You could say that about Grigg but plenty on here think he’s shit.

Marquis and Eaves are both 27 and both only started scoring in the last 2 seasons. I know that's totally irrelevant but thought I'd chuck it in there.
Not saying I would want either of those two. League one is probably their level but very unimpressed with Wyke. Would like to think he hasn’t been properly fit etc and I don’t question his application but don’t think he’s the answer but really hope he proves me wrong.

Not saying I would want either of those two. League one is probably their level but very unimpressed with Wyke. Would like to think he hasn’t been properly fit etc and I don’t question his application but don’t think he’s the answer but really hope he proves me wrong.
Can't argue with you.

Most people on this thread are saying he’s shite. :lol:

This. I think we need to be targeting young players who might be able to grow and develop with us and make the step up to the championship. This lad isn't young and he's looked shit the few times I've seen him.

We can either get people like him who are experienced, decent players at this level and hope they're good enough to get us up (and worry later about the fact that almost none of them can make the step up), or we can try and buy experienced players who are already good enough for the championship (but they'll be wanted by championship clubs and thus turn us down), or we get recruitment right, take a bit of a gamble but go for younger lads who might be able to step up with us but who aren't currently getting championship clubs taking a punt. Who these players are I'm not sure, that's the recruitment teams job, but that's certainly what I hope we mainly target, rather than the likes of Maguire, Flanagan, Baldwin etc

This. I think we need to be targeting young players who might be able to grow and develop with us and make the step up to the championship. This lad isn't young and he's looked shit the few times I've seen him.

We can either get people like him who are experienced, decent players at this level and hope they're good enough to get us up (and worry later about the fact that almost none of them can make the step up), or we can try and buy experienced players who are already good enough for the championship (but they'll be wanted by championship clubs and thus turn us down), or we get recruitment right, take a bit of a gamble but go for younger lads who might be able to step up with us but who aren't currently getting championship clubs taking a punt. Who these players are I'm not sure, that's the recruitment teams job, but that's certainly what I hope we mainly target, rather than the likes of Maguire, Flanagan, Baldwin etc
well we know flanagn can step up-he played 57 games uo there-JR just needs to play him in his actual positon..but i agree more generallky with your point..
dwhere has it come from we want marquis-we knocked him back in january like..

I reckon he’s quite possibly the most overrated footballer in the English football league at this moment in time, and has been for 18 months or so, I also reckon the reason he’s still at Donkey Rovers and not playing at a higher level is because people in the game also see what I see, I don’t doubt he’ll move on at some point theirs always one club that’ll get desperate and take a punt, like with Will Grigg, he was on fire at Wigan and no one took the plunge on him because basically he wasn’t all that good but someone got desperate enough to ignore their instincts and give him a go. Thats the same with this kid as soon as he moves for a decent wage is career is over in my opinion.

well we know flanagn can step up-he played 57 games uo there-JR just needs to play him in his actual positon..but i agree more generallky with your point..
dwhere has it come from we want marquis-we knocked him back in january like..

Aye, fair point, I've never really seen much of him at RB but he might look a different player there. You get my point though, although we'll obviously need some older players to fill a gap you don't want many because most won't be able to step up and we'll struggle to shift them. Some want us to sign players who have experience and will be good if we go up but I simply don't think we can attract them at this stage, if they're good enough for the championship then championship clubs want them and most won't care how "big" SAFC are or how much potential we have, they'll play at the higher level now. Best option is definitely to focus on young, hungry players who are currently being overlooked by championship sides.

Although Marquis has looked shit when I've watched him he must be canny at this level to get his goal return, but then Wyke got goals as well when elsewhere so it's no guarantee. He'd be comparatively expensive, I've no faith he could win us games in the championship, so for me he's not what we should be aiming for. We should be looking to get a good side that can get out of this relatively weak division and not need major surgery to compete in the league above. And as you say if he was going on daft about money in January I doubt we'll want him now, that's not the attitude or hunger we need

You could say that about Grigg but plenty on here think he’s shit.
Grigg is an out and out goalscorer. Marquis, obviously different type of player but he doesn't look like a player. Talking to Doncaster fans after home up here and they absolutely slated Marquis. Rightly so, lazy.

Agreed.

he has scored for years and years in this divison..safc have ruined him because the manager doesnt know what role he plays.

Not for me

We’d be stuck with 3 league one strikers, all solid but pretty slow and ordinary

We can’t just do what we did last year with recruitment

We need to think outside the box
any striker we sign is by definition a league one striker-unless we sign one thats worse than league one..
championship level strikers get championship level clubs..

This is why I'm more excited when we get linked to Shankland, Brokebank and that stoke kid

My Donny supporting mate absolutely hates him.
Reckons he’s slow, ponderous and shite. Also says he’s a prick.

Goal scoring record is canny. But so are Griggs and Wykes

hopefully jack ross has watched some football matches over the summer of games where grigg was on his way to hittign twenty goals in this league-and learns to play him in the correct positon.
He’s a forward but last season the centre half’s continuously smashed aimlessly 40/50 yard balls for him to win with his back to goal, the way he plays is on the shoulder with balls slide down the side of a centre half or wingers getting to the byline and cutting back! The problem is we don’t have any midfielders that will play high enough and capable enough to create the chances he needs! Not one of our midfielders will run in behind the forwards and that has to change!

Back