Marley Potts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was always told that it was the name of the local farm on which the estate was built but I have never found en evidence for that. I does sound like a local name though.

And just for the record it is POTS with one "T" unlike my name.

I am afraid that this was in the main boulevard Elmwood Avenue

Not your manor?

That's "Your Lordship" to you matey . I may be from Marley Po(t)ts but I am quality. ;)
^Sorted

What made you move out, too many pagans on the boulevard?

Aye shipwrights were paid higher than the national average apparantly so there must have been a right housing boom.

That's were our mate the "Lord Mayor of Marley pots " lives .Canny street .
:lol::lol:

He'll be reading this anarl

Giddup Jimbo !! Xx

Aye there is actually. I was round there on my driving lessons a bit ago so caught the good and a bit of the not so good like.

It's just the maniacs that live in some of the places all around, all places really.

Some of the back gardens are to die for anarl. Me mate's mam lives in Ashwood and you'd struggle to chuck a tennis ball the length of her yard. f***ing wass

^Sorted

What made you move out, too many pagans on the boulevard?

Aye shipwrights were paid higher than the national average apparantly so there must have been a right housing boom.

Well actually old chap father was welder at Pick'ies so you can imagine the dosh was simply rolling in by the mid 1960's. Mater and pater had had enough by then so they slung their hook and purchased a pile off Queen Alexander Road. One never looked back after that. :D

:lol::lol:
Some of the back gardens are to die for anarl. Me mate's mam lives in Ashwood and you'd struggle to chuck a tennis ball the length of her yard. f***ing wass
The were massive we lived in a corner house so had a front and back lawn and a massive vegetable garden and still had enough room for a garage when the old boy bought a motor.

Last edited:
Well actually old chap father was welder at Pick'ies so you can imagine the dosh was simply rolling in by the mid 1960's. Mater and pater had had enough by then so they slung their hook and purchased a pile off Queen Alexander Road. One never looked back after that. :D
It sounds like one was no stranger to the high life?

No you will be surprised to learn that in the 1950's we had ship yard managers , first engineers, draftsman , and a chap who ran a good business as a milkman living around us. The estate was well sought after before the war but afterwards there was a huge expansion of Council housing. Red House, Hylton Castle, Town End Farm all very close by.

Naturally folk wanted the most modern housing so Marley Pots which was older became a bit of a "sink" estate when the Council moved new tenants in.

That's "Your Lordship" to you matey . I may be from Marley Pots but I am quality. ;)

Did the milkman live in Beechwood?

It sounds like one was no stranger to the high life?
Ah but humble beginnings. I actually entered this world in Marley Pots as I was born at home. I don't think that their are very many who could claim that their first sight of life was Elmwood Avenue.
Most are people are born in hospital and must imagine that the old folk probably have somewhere nice in SR6 only to be crushed when the taxi taking them home stops in Ford Estate or some such place. With me it was "harsh reality" from the very first in-take of breath.

Anyway mother always told people that we were from Southwick. (true :lol:)

Did the milkman live in Beechwood?
Yep - Harry Parry IRCC

Ah but humble beginnings. I actually entered this world in Marley Pots as I was born at home. I don't think that their are very many who could claim that their first sight of life was Elmwood Avenue.
Most are people are born in hospital and must imagine that the old folk probably have somewhere nice in SR6 only to be crushed when the taxi taking them home stops in Ford Estate or some such place. With me it was "harsh reality" from the very first in-take of breath.

Yep - Harry Parry IRCC

There was another Harry in Beechwood with a milk business. Also ice cream vans and a couple of haulage trucks.

There was a milkman in chestnut as well. Can't remember his name but he had a mad doberman called Rudy.

I used to collect the milk money on Marley Pots in the seventies after school on Fridays. Every other house had an Alsatian and most of them lived outside. I had at least one life and death experience every week. Then in the eighties overnight all the Alsatians were replaced with Dobermans. Those things are basically a great big set of teeth on legs. They're basically just built to transport a big f***ing set of teeth around at high speed. Made me miss the Alsatians. I was as hard as fuck and completely fearless by the time I was a teenager though.

Yep - Harry Parry IRCC
Unlike the rest, I was born in the salubrious SR6

Yep - Harry Parry IRCC

I first saw the light of day in a house in Ford Estate. Back in them days you had to have your first kid in hospital, you could have the second and third at home, and any more had to be in hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back