Marley Potts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Around 1930 mate. Of course it was another 22 years before the greatest day in the whole history of estate finally arrived . Oh and the part of the estate that was built without electricity and had gas only got in the mid 1950's although the street gas lighting wasn't replaced until about 1961.

Or ... err.... so some one who once used to live there told me.

I could have sworn it was spelled with two ts when i used to look over years ago

They look like 1920s design a little bit reminiscent of S. Hendon, the terraces bits. Probably took what 8-10 years? to complete

There's a few okay bay-windowed domiciles, usually only half streets though like Beechwood, but Yewtree (!) looks alright.

Oh and the part of the estate that was built without electricity and had gas only got in the mid 1950's although the street gas lighting wasn't replaced until about 1961.
Was this around Oaklands and Hollywood Ave marra?

It looks like they might use sundials in those two.

Where does the name marley pots come from?
I was always told that it was the name of the local farm on which the estate was built but I have never found en evidence for that. I does sound like a local name though.

And just for the record it is POTS with one "T" unlike my name.

Was this around Oaklands and Hollywood Ave marra?

It looks like they might use sundials in those two.
I am afraid that this was in the main boulevard Elmwood Avenue

Last edited:
Has it always been minging?
No you will be surprised to learn that in the 1950's we had ship yard managers , first engineers, draftsman , and a chap who ran a good business as a milkman living around us. The estate was well sought after before the war but afterwards there was a huge expansion of Council housing. Red House, Hylton Castle, Town End Farm all very close by.

Naturally folk wanted the most modern housing so Marley Pots which was older became a bit of a "sink" estate when the Council moved new tenants in.

Ta, Potts
That's "Your Lordship" to you matey . I may be from Marley Pots but I am quality. ;)

No you will be surprised to learn that in the 1950's we had ship yard managers , first engineers, draftsman , and a chap who ran a good business as a milkman living around us. The estate was well sought after before the war but afterwards there was a huge expansion of Council housing. Red House, Hylton Castle, Town End Farm all very close by.

Naturally folk wanted the most modern housing so Marley Pots which was older became a bit of a "sink" estate when the Council moved new tenants in.

That's "Your Lordship" to you matey . I may be from Marley Pots but I am quality. ;)
Shan that like.

I could have sworn it was spelled with two ts when i used to look over years ago

They look like 1920s design a little bit reminiscent of S. Hendon, the terraces bits. Probably took what 8-10 years? to complete

There's a few okay bay-windowed domiciles, usually only half streets though like Beechwood, but Yewtree (!) looks alright.
Some lovely kips up behind the torrens and towards the college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back