Mark Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could he be the next rat?

Important question is - when are the central contracts handed out?

If he doesn't get a central contract, which going off his most recent form and fitness he isn't guaranteed to get one - then he too may see the lure of Trent Bridge/Headingley/The Oval far too tempting.

What's more, could we realistically afford to keep a player that is ecpecting the wages befitting an international bowler, but who spends just as much time on his back as Paul Coughlin?

To me, it doesn't make business sense if we aren't likely to see much of him. Furthermore, the aim must be to get promoted and whilst he would absolutely be just the bloke to lead us there - that's only if he plays 8-10 games. When was the last time he managed such a large chunk of any season?

We're in a position unfortunately where we need to be building our side around those lads likely to play the bulk of the season. We're probably better suited going old school now, with the financial strains, we can't dream of having a squad of about 20-25 lads. So I think we need to pour all out resources into the 15 lads who will play just about every game.

think it's a bit much calling them rats, even if it is just the analogy of leaving a sinking ship, they're real lads and have given their all for us.

i have been worried about woody all season, don't think he'll get a contract centrally, however with all the wages heading out the door we'll have nobody left to pay so perhaps can afford him if onions, coughlin etc leave.

but you can't blame him i guess if we're going to be woefully uncompetitive and he wants to get back in the england spotlight....

what a crap year this has been for durham. happy first year back in sunderland :neutral:

Woody will probably get an ODI contract which might be enough for him to stay up here. England obviously rate him in the shorter form. Whether he plays much for DCCC is another matter. I'd probably forget about him as a long-term fixture in any side we put out to challenge for promotion.

If he doesn't want to be at the club, I'll show him the way out, same applies for any player who doesnt want to be at Durham.

So we worked out you don't work in recruitment at DCCC, but this leads me to think you're working on the door :eek:

think it's a bit much calling them rats, even if it is just the analogy of leaving a sinking ship, they're real lads and have given their all for us.

I'll call them what I want brother ;), plus you said it yourself - it's an analogy, one which I think is incredibly apt at present. How many players have now left since last September?

It's becoming like the Mary f***ing Celeste :evil:

Oh, and there may be some on here that would disagree with you saying they gave their all.

Last edited:
Is that a bit like "sorry sunshine, you don't get in here wearing those on yer feet".

Possibly. "Sling yer hook lad, you're barred!"

Mind you, could just be the caretaker, with a big bunch of keys and the particular door in question will need to be unlocked prior to anyone leaving for another county.

If he looses his central contract then durham will be trying to off load him. They can't afford a luxury like Wood on their books who rarely plays. He will also put a big dint in their salary budget just as Harmy and Colly did when they returned.

Could he be the next rat?

Important question is - when are the central contracts handed out?

If he doesn't get a central contract, which going off his most recent form and fitness he isn't guaranteed to get one - then he too may see the lure of Trent Bridge/Headingley/The Oval far too tempting.

What's more, could we realistically afford to keep a player that is ecpecting the wages befitting an international bowler, but who spends just as much time on his back as Paul Coughlin?

To me, it doesn't make business sense if we aren't likely to see much of him. Furthermore, the aim must be to get promoted and whilst he would absolutely be just the bloke to lead us there - that's only if he plays 8-10 games. When was the last time he managed such a large chunk of any season?

We're in a position unfortunately where we need to be building our side around those lads likely to play the bulk of the season. We're probably better suited going old school now, with the financial strains, we can't dream of having a squad of about 20-25 lads. So I think we need to pour all out resources into the 15 lads who will play just about every game.
https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/mark-wood-signs-new-3-year-deal.1290886/#post-24142784

Just saying

All been very quiet regarding this new injury he has, anyone know what's keeping him out? England wanted him to play the last three CC fixtures to get ready for the overseas tour.

Possibly. "Sling yer hook lad, you're barred!"

Mind you, could just be the caretaker, with a big bunch of keys and the particular door in question will need to be unlocked prior to anyone leaving for another county.

Might as well just leave that door unlocked tbf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back