Mark E Smith not looking well...

I watched the BBC4 documentary on him this morning, to try and prove to myself that it must be me that's wrong, as I'm apparently the only one who can't stand The Fall. Didn't work. Made my ears bleed. I had to play Dancing Queen five times to get that nasty nasal whine out of them again.

Tbf they haven't done that many gigs this year and apparently he's still writing while he's laid up. I agree though he needs to stop altogether until he's better, unless he to keep on doing it for financial reasons, in that case its a bit sad and worrying

I think this has got to be the reason. I know the band have other jobs/ businesses, but gigs will generate income and keep the band in the public eye. It’s not just Mark who is being paid. I must be a veteran of 50+ fall gigs but will not be going to this one. I cannot hack seeing the bloke look like this. Very upsetting but f***ing fair play to him for having the balls to take to the stage. ....

Probably will go like...

Nobody comes close to him as a lyricist though. Especially the early stuff, he'd have more wit, intelligence and invention in one song than most of his peers could manage over a full album

Nailed it. Every period of the fall has its moments. But the lyrics on the early albums are up there with anyone....jawbone and the airifile, wings, the classical.....the man is a f***ing genius and anyone who disagrees deserves Coldplay

Nailed it. Every period of the fall has its moments. But the lyrics on the early albums are up there with anyone....jawbone and the airifile, wings, the classical.....the man is a f***ing genius and anyone who disagrees deserves Coldplay

The NME doesn't even put him in the top 23. A list which includes Thom Yorke, Alex Turner, Cocker, Albarn and Morrisey.

I've seen them maybe a dozen times over the years. I hadn't planned to go tomorrow.

Now I'm torn about going because there may not be another chance (hope I'm wrong) and the thought that I'm somehow rubbernecking.

I think this has got to be the reason. I know the band have other jobs/ businesses, but gigs will generate income and keep the band in the public eye. It’s not just Mark who is being paid. I must be a veteran of 50+ fall gigs but will not be going to this one. I cannot hack seeing the bloke look like this. Very upsetting but f***ing fair play to him for having the balls to take to the stage. ....

Probably will go like...
I'm in two minds about going tbh. I don't really want to see him like this but then again I don't suppose he wants people taking pity on him, so will he will want things to be "normal". I'll probably go like, this will be number 20 for me

Back