Marijuana

It's a no from me purely based on its lead in to other drugs.

Weed-> LSD/mushrooms -> Speed/Ecstasy -> cocaine.

That's how it was back in the day. Not sure where fertilzers fit in now.

The medicinal stuff should be allowed mind. Daft that people genuinely suffer when it can help.

Best decision of my life quitting that shite
That would be my only issue with it being legal, having easy access to it. I do still enjoy the very occasional smoke but would hate to go back to daily intake

The medicinal stuff should be allowed mind. Daft that people genuinely suffer when it can help.
of course everyone who ends up on hard drugs probably started on weed but that doesnt conversely work that everyone who smokes weed will move onto harder drugs.
the gateway drug thing is nonsense

It would massively undermine their operations, the price point that was set would (tax permitting) be subject to competition and there would be cheaper and more expensive. Plus whats to stop everyone growing it themselves, if the criminality were taken away there would be a hugely reduced criminal/gang aspect to the whole thing.

There would simply be a change in the criminality at the level you're talking about. You mentioned violent drug peddling gangs, which the average cannabis smoker have no interaction with; they would have no hesitation switching their criminality. Or, they'd put out top shelf product and undercut the legal distributors. The black market is thriving in California right now because to briefly touch on the other point, top shelf cannabis is something that isn't easy to grow and secondly, licensing is an expensive and long process

No reason to oppose medical usage if it helps people have a better quality of life and pain relief.

The "war on drugs is lost" legalise them, take the power and money away from the ocg.

Disagree. Whilst usage of them is inevitable, there is still an ongoing mission to inform society of their risks to mental and physical health. There is a good argument for medical cannabis, but let's not pretend all other drugs contribute anything remotely positive to anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
of course everyone who ends up on hard drugs probably started on weed but that doesnt conversely work that everyone who smokes weed will move onto harder drugs.
the gateway drug thing is nonsense

With cannabis, as with many other things, people mistake correlation with causation. Party drug dealers will target people in pubs and clubs, but I don't think alcohol is a gateway drug to cocaine.

You missed heroin out at the end mate.

I'm fine with legalization of THC, but I'm not a fan of public smoking. San Francisco is just disgusting these days. The BART absolutely reeks of weed smoke, and a lot of the strains people smoke are strong AF. I've gotten high several times just from riding public transportation (and once just from walking around). I, like almost all Americans, can get fired for failing a drug test. I'd rather not, and I'm quite sure I'd fail a drug test if I took one today even though I haven't intended to consume drugs in years.
You really haven’t gotten high from walking around and people smoking in your vicinity.

Prohibition doesn't work.

But even if it doesn't work the question is are we better off because we try to enforce prohibition than we would be if we didn't even try and just legalised it.

In the case of cannabis I'd say we'd be better of just legalizing it.

There is also the argument that if someone wants to put shit into their own body then thats up to them and it's not he states place to tell them they can't. I agree with that point in general and certainly in the case of cannabis, but even as a libertarian I get uncomfortable with extending that to say heroin, even though the principle is exactly the same.

You really haven’t gotten high from walking around and people smoking in your vicinity.

Mate, I used to smoke weed reasonably often. I know what high is. I was definitely high. Granted, I have basically no tolerance now because I haven't smoked in years, but please don't tell me I don't know what it feels like to be high or that it's impossible to get high from secondhand smoke. Granted, it wasn't like I was high off my face as if I'd been smoking a couple bowls myself, but when you're sitting in an unventilated space with a bunch of smoke for an hour at a time, it adds up.

Last edited:
Interesting to note that in the history of mankind no one ever died of a cannabis overdose. There is a drug you can buy over the counter without prescription, even give it to your kids from the age of three months, kills a few every year. It's called Paracetamol, just saying like.
Paracetamol pack limits 'cut deaths'
Paracetamol for children (including Calpol): painkiller - NHS.UK
the biggest disgrace about paracetamol is they cut over the counter codeine with it presumably so addicts can't get high on over the counter codeine. yep thats right drug policy seems to be to cut an opiate with a poison to deter addicts.

Mate, I used to smoke weed reasonably often. I know what high is. I was definitely high. Granted, I have basically no tolerance now because I haven't smoked in years, but please don't tell me I don't know what it feels like to be high or that it's impossible to get high from secondhand smoke.
To get high off second hand smoke you basically have to sit in a hotbox where you can’t see your hand infront of your face. Most thc is absorbed by the lungs when inhaled so very little is breathed out. It’s not about feeling high it’s about the fact it’s almost impossible to get passively high.

Back