Marcus Trescothick

To retire at the end of the season.

A sad day.

Knew it was coming once he was dropped, I actually asked at my local bookies if I could get odds in it but they wouldn't do me anything!

Sad day

Colly went last year, is there anyone of that era left in English cricket? Don't mind Darren Stevens n the likes, I mean England lads

A lot of the greats retire don't they straight after England duty, he was unusual case because of his illness, and Colly just a cricket nut

I guess its just Jimmy really

Knew it was coming once he was dropped, I actually asked at my local bookies if I could get odds in it but they wouldn't do me anything!

Sad day

Colly went last year, is there anyone of that era left in English cricket? Don't mind Darren Stevens n the likes, I mean England lads

A lot of the greats retire don't they straight after England duty, he was unusual case because of his illness, and Colly just a cricket nut

I guess its just Jimmy really
Ian bell

Its a shame he couldn't play more tests for England, but looking back it opened the door for Cook, and one of our best opening partnerships and teams of all time

Hardly any people played for England back in those days, was proper old school successions, its amazing how many batsman get gigs now

If he had been able to continue playing tests he'd have been the first England batsman to 10,000 runs IMO. He had almost 6000 before he played his last test at the age of 31 and he rarely used to miss any games due to injury.

Would be in my all-time England ODI XI too, he was a complete opening batsman in 50 over cricket who could anchor an innings and still score at a good rate.

Absolutely love Trescothick. Awesome player, probably my first cricketing hero - could sit and watch him bat all day.

Also, as someone who has struggled pretty badly above the shoulders since my early teens, his book was not only a fascinating read, but also helped me to accept my own struggles and start seeking help - I rationalised that if one of my own heroes can be open about his battles, then so can I.

Not a huge fan of Somerset, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him sign off with a title in his last season

He has a canny knack of getting those little ones and two's that keeps the scoreboard ticking over, which infuriates bowlers, who have put in a great over and are busting a gut to stem the flow of runs.

An understated great of his era.

Back