Marco...

Forget the past history.
I comment on the standard of and the quality of his opinions now.

You just keep living in the past mate.[/QUOTE]

I care more about what a player did in a red and white shirt than I do about what he says on a shitty lical radio phone in.

How is that a conspiracy theory?

It’s fairly well known that his agency has a large number of our players on their books, including a lot of academy players who are ‘pointed in their direction’ by the club.

It’s very well-known he is involved with an agency which looks after young Sunderland players; as well as Newcastle, Boro and others.

To state as fact, an unfounded allegation that he’s nothing more than a club puppet who doesn’t dare upset anybody in the club because they point the young players in his direction, absolutely smacks of conspiracy theory.

I have often heard him criticise mistakes that have been made at the club down the years. He might not go far enough for some people, or get involved with personal attacks on certain people, but I think this is more to do with his own perspective on things, rather than being a puppet.

I heard the bloke on last night, from the Indian restaurant, giving him a hard time for not criticising Short, when he actually was. He criticised him unreservedly for the past 12 months but his argument is, before that, Short was actively engaged and poured a lot of money in but either ‘didn’t engage his brain before doing so or didn’t know enough about football to employ the right people’ (Marco’s words). People might agree or disagree with this but there is a debate to be had and besides, it’s hardly a glowing reference for a billionaire business man. I’m sure somebody in the position of Ellis Short doesn’t want statements like this out there and I’m sure a puppet hanging onto his coat tails for scraps of work wouldn’t say it. Also, as there are also Newcastle players on his books, he’d have to be a puppet to them too so I’m sure he wouldn’t go on the radio and engage in Sunderland/Newcastle banter.

My problem with Marco is, I don’t think he should be on there because Sunderland isn’t his true love. I’m convinced he’d rank us below both Derby and York City. He didn’t grow up a Sunderland fan and after doing an admittedly brilliant job for us, he moved onto other clubs and never looked back. I am sure he is still fond of the club but nothing more. I think his view of the club is more subjective than most listeners’ whose partisan opinions are driven more by passion than anything else. Marco genuinely doesn’t have that same passion so there is a clear disconnect. It is what it is and I don’t go looking for ulterior motives but I don’t think he’s the right man for the role.

I find myself disagreeing with most things he says but it doesn't taint my view of him as a person. Like I said, I’m more interested in what he did for us as a player, but I'd rather have somebody on there like Gary Rowell, Gordon Armstrong or even Lee Howey. Somebody who is generally on the same page as the fans.

It’s very well-known he is involved with an agency which looks after young Sunderland players; as well as Newcastle, Boro and others.

To state as fact, an unfounded allegation that he’s nothing more than a club puppet who doesn’t dare upset anybody in the club because they point the young players in his direction, absolutely smacks of conspiracy theory.

I have often heard him criticise mistakes that have been made at the club down the years. He might not go far enough for some people, or get involved with personal attacks on certain people, but I think this is more to do with his own perspective on things, rather than being a puppet.

I heard the bloke on last night, from the Indian restaurant, giving him a hard time for not criticising Short, when he actually was. He criticised him unreservedly for the past 12 months but his argument is, before that, Short was actively engaged and poured a lot of money in but either ‘didn’t engage his brain before doing so or didn’t know enough about football to employ the right people’ (Marco’s words). People might agree or disagree with this but there is a debate to be had and besides, it’s hardly a glowing reference for a billionaire business man. I’m sure somebody in the position of Ellis Short doesn’t want statements like this out there and I’m sure a puppet hanging onto his coat tails for scraps of work wouldn’t say it. Also, as there are also Newcastle players on his books, he’d have to be a puppet to them too so I’m sure he wouldn’t go on the radio and engage in Sunderland/Newcastle banter.

My problem with Marco is, I don’t think he should be on there because Sunderland isn’t his true love. I’m convinced he’d rank us below both Derby and York City. He didn’t grow up a Sunderland fan and after doing an admittedly brilliant job for us, he moved onto other clubs and never looked back. I am sure he is still fond of the club but nothing more. I think his view of the club is more subjective than most listeners’ whose partisan opinions are driven more by passion than anything else. Marco genuinely doesn’t have that same passion so there is a clear disconnect. It is what it is and I don’t go looking for ulterior motives but I don’t think he’s the right man for the role.

I find myself disagreeing with most things he says but it doesn't taint my view of him as a person. Like I said, I’m more interested in what he did for us as a player, but I'd rather have somebody on there like Gary Rowell, Gordon Armstrong or even Lee Howey. Somebody who is generally on the same page as the fans.
Hi Ricardo.

Or shall we say ...Gary Bennett

He’s on nearly every day

Some people must listen to a different show to me, he’s done nothing but criticise the owner and players the last 2 or 3 mths

Sure it was Martin smith, Kieron Brady and Danny Collins on all last week hence why I thought Marco had gone the journey

Back