March Challenge: Composition - Vanishing Point. Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Capturing our three dimensional world in the two dimensions of a photo is inherently problematic. Without special care, it is very easy to produce an image that is flat, lifeless, and boring. Luckily, there are several techniques for creating a sense of depth in photography, and probably the most recognizable of these is highlighting the Vanishing Point perspective.

Vanishing Point perspective is a feature of the natural world, so technically, most of our photographs make use of it to some extent, though it’s not always visible. As we all know, objects that are farther away from us appear smaller, so when a set of parallel lines gets further away from us, the distance between them appears to get smaller and the lines converge. However, without an obvious set of converging lines or a series of regular objects of diminishing size, it can be difficult to detect this phenomenon in a photograph, and thus, we lose one of our most important methods of distinguishing the depth and space between objects.

In order to emphasize Vanishing point, then, it is important to include significant portions of the orthogonal lines (ie, the parallel lines that are converging), and usually, the point at which they merge (or would merge) in the distance. Using a wide angle lens exaggerates the angles of convergence, assuming that you’re close enough to the lines (or objects) that they are sufficiently large in the foreground, and consequently provides a more dramatic Vanishing Point perspective.

In addition to creating depth in a photo, the strong lines direct the viewer’s eye movement though the photo. The orthogonal lines act as “leading lines”, leading the eye deeper into an important part of the photo. Consequently, many photographers place the subject of the photo at their point of convergence, insuring that the viewer will be drawn to it. That point of convergence is also frequently placed at one of the “Rule of Thirds” intersection points, as it becomes the subject of the photo in the absence of any element that outweighs it. Keep in mind that it is also possible to have multiple Vanishing points in an image, though one is the most common. Multiple vanishing points can create an image that is more complex and interesting, but being more complex, it is harder to ensure that the viewers eye moves steadily through the photo.

A couple of links:
http://persephonemagazine.com/2012/03/27/picture-this-vanishing-points/
Google

I'll tell you the type of photos I've been taking before you start next months comp. :lol:

I guess a red x has a vanishing point. Sort of. Good entry, that'll get them thinking.

If you want to change it just send me a pm when you enter another, or one that works.

Wise move getting the pier shot in early I reckon :lol:

ayesane said:
Steed is driving upto Windermere as we speak to get the jetty shot in early.

I'd piss it if I did one of my famous jetty shots. Ross will probably copy me and do one :roll:

On a serious note, I need to look carefully into the difference between this months comp and leading lines. I fear some of my ideas will fall into the latter.

I'd piss it if I did one of my famous jetty shots. Ross will probably copy me and do one :roll:

On a serious note, I need to look carefully into the difference between this months comp and leading lines. I fear some of my ideas will fall into the latter.

Gold medalists don't copy silver...

I'd better set fire to these jetties before blood is spilled

Unless I can free up some time, this may be the last monthly challenge. I'll see if I can change the format to keep some kind of competition going.

That's a shame in a way AB22ET. I've enjoyed the competition for the last three (?) years plus. But maybe it has done its time? There seems to be only a few of us left who regularly take part.
And, the critique thing not being done any more makes it less interesting to enter. I want to know why my picture is/isn't getting votes - how do you learn anything otherwise>? (and it's interesting to read as well imo re all photo entries).

Maybe we can decide how we want to go forward? I don't mind setting a poll each month if that helps?

Lots of ?? but just ideas from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back